Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Refurbished Seekadet  (Read 3221 times)

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
Refurbished Seekadet
« on: February 20, 2020, 01:26:58 pm »

Well I now see that my test picture loaded OK so here's a bit of background to the boat and a few more photos to hopefully tittle your fancy.

I bought this boat as a near scrap "Pigs Ear" off E Bay a couple of years ago. It came with a Vee Twin Cheddar engine and boiler which hadn't been fitted... the boat had an electric motor instead.
The original owner wanted to get it on the water quickly!

I got everything for the princely sum of £360 with only one other bidder being in Europe.

As soon as I'd got it home I made an assessment and realised the build was so bad that the whole thing needed stripping back to basics completely .... plunging it in a very hot bath for a few hours caused the glue to melt and everything to fall  apart . I then spent a while cleaning everything back , removing old glue and wood from the hull and finally bagging and boxing it all up. after which it went into the shed to get covered in the detritus of other projects until last July, when I decided to have another look and the enthusiasm and excitement of having this rarity returned

It became a daunting task as I had no plans or assembly manual so I referred to the internet and the old MHB web site to rekindle what the finished item should look like

A few parts were missing so it wasn't to be exactly as Martin , Howes and Baylis produced. but I reckon it' s close enough.
I had to rebuild the boiler house and funnel from scratch as these were missing from the original... luckily most of the important brass fittings were there.
The deck and all the other wood work was a test of patience and a real job and a half

The only real downside is what some would regard as a slightly below par engine, it being only a smallish Cheddar Vee twin. I'm not expecting any speed records as it's a big boat and a relatively small engine but as long as it "pootles" around the lake then I'll be happy.
I now need to get the boiler and fuel container tested by the boys at my local club then when the warm weather comes it'll be off for a test run. Everything appears to fire up and run OK so fingers crossed !!!

Take a peek and see what you think

Kind regards

Terry H

Geoff

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Refurbished Seekadet
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 01:37:38 pm »

Looking very nice indeed and you should be proud of yourself. I think you will be surprised at the performance of the Cheddar engine and boiler as its a long slim hull so will need little power to move it at a good rate.

I have a Cheddar Puffin (which is a little bigger) and it readily powers a 52" battleship for 30 mins at a very good scale speed and that weights about 30 pounds or so

Cheers

Geoff

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 01:50:25 pm »

Wow - you've made a cracking good job of her restoration Terry - congratulations.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

mikew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 02:36:28 pm »

Is this not the larger of the 2 V's that Cheddar produced called a "Pelican" the smaller was called the "Pintail" smooth sided cylinders. The Pelican was same size bore and stroke as a Puffin.

Cheers

Mike
Mike

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 02:42:51 pm »

Hello Mike

Yes I believe you're right and ,as Geoff states in his reply, it should be OK for  this slim Hull.

Regards

Terry H

mikew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 02:45:54 pm »

Hi Terry

Plenty of power there, beautiful build  O0

Mike
Mike

Pragmatist

• Full Mayhemer
  • It's a nautical thing
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 07:34:59 pm »

That’s an incredibly neat build and as someone newly into building I can appreciate that planking.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 08:06:35 pm »

Bonjour Terry,
I am jealous, this boat is missing my collection  ok2  I had an opportunity to buy the kit.. just 10 times the price you paid !
You have one of the most beautiful kits and furthermore it is not produced anymore, I am sure you will enjoy to navigate with.
Here is the one of my friend Jean, with a 5 cm3 JMC : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_burrOo9WxY
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 08:34:49 pm »

The Seekadett is very elegant and you have rebuilt it beautifully, congratulations.
You will probably find the Cheddar Pelican engine to be powerful, despite its small size. What boiler are you using? If it is the original boiler from Cheddar (Puffin), then it should provide ample power.

My only advice is to get rid of the silicone exhaust tubing, which spoils the appearance, and replace it with some nice copper or brass tubing. And maybe give the engine a fresh coat of paint :-)

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 09:07:28 pm »

Hello KN03

The boiler is an original Cheddar which came in the box of bits with the engine. I do need to look at redoing the paint work on the engine and also a bit of polish.  I've clad the boiler , gas holder and condenser tank with mahogany which I've not shown and it looks quite smart
I'll be looking at removing the rubber tubing but need to purchase a small , decent  torch to fabricate something better.
 Regards
Terry H

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2020, 09:21:59 pm »

If you can post a picture of the boiler, I might be able to tell you what model it is.

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 02:40:11 pm »

A few pics of the innards .....

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 03:16:18 pm »

Terry that is an absolutely beautiful restoration and its looks just amazing  :-))   Top job mate!

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 03:39:35 pm »

That looks like the Cheddar Puffin Mark II boiler.

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2020, 12:37:51 pm »

Many thanks for all your positive comments.
The self isolation is allowing me true truly self isolate in the shed with no thunderous looks from Madam (She's happily pottering around in the garden!).This  morning I've cleaned and finished off the engine and boiler and decided to give it a run.
With the Gas Tank being quite a way from the boiler I found that the gas supply was freezing up and minimising the burning efficiency. I decided to bend up a bit of copper tube , connect it to the exhaust side and pass it under the Gas Tank. The small amount of heat from this gets rid of the freezing and the gas flows effectively and the front compartment gets just warm  enough to keep everything up and running.

Once we're out of this virus business it'll be down to the boat club to get the relevant pressure tests signed off then it's onto the water. for a ,hopefully, decent run.

Regards

Terry H

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 05:18:40 pm »

That is nice job you have done, you are to be congratulated, just as a small test I would try a little smaller prop just to see ( I now and then get cheap plastic props try a handful and when I find one that works make a stainless steel copy) prop shop (or whatever they are now...) would certainly be able to help.....roll on the good weather and we can all get down to lake again  :-))
Steamed up all the time

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2020, 07:03:16 pm »

It is not a good idea to insulate the gas tank, as that will only aggravate the freezing problem.

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2020, 11:04:03 pm »

Hello KNO3

The only part of the tank that is insulated with the mahogany strips is the upper area that you see in the photo.(This was done for aesthetic purposes only)
 All of the underside is left as bare metal which is in direct contact with the warm copper tubing..... hopefully it will continue to work OK.

Regards
Terry H

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2020, 12:18:36 pm »

Hello Terry, if most of the gas tank is bare metal, then no problem,t will more readily take warmth from the air around it and should be less likely to freeze.
Actually, a very simple and effective method to keep the gas tank from freezing is o place it very close to the boiler or burner (I have used this method a few times with good results). Some also use a very simple heating element such as a piece of copper sheet that touches both boiler and gas tank.
In your boat it looks like there is room to move the gas tank close to the burner, roughly under the steering wheel.

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2020, 12:35:24 pm »

Helllo KNO3

Thanks for your advice.... I did try the heat transfer method of a strip of copper touching both the boiler and the gas tank but sadly it didn't warm up enough.  Initially the copper tube running around and under the tank does remain cold but it soon gets nicely warm once the exhaust steam starts to pass through it.

I've considered moving the gas tank closer to the boiler because as you state there is room underneath the steering wheel assembly but I think it may spoil the finish and look of the "grated "floor of the passenger compartment where it should sit in the Seekadet.....one of the photos shows this floor in place.

I've tried the system again today..... something to do now we're almost locked down in the UK with the virus.... and it does work beautifully

Kind regards
Terry H

KNO3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2020, 02:13:57 pm »

Why don't you make a video running your steam plant?

KBIO

• Full Mayhemer
    • http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2020, 08:48:19 am »

Hello!
Locked up at home for the reason you know, I spend a good time watching how my colleagues behave in our steam world!
Congratulation , Terry, for this rebound  Seekadett.
This launch is a hell of a job to build and you made it perfect.
Maybe, I can suggest something.
The tank is small but the boiler and the engine are so. Sometime , people think that having a bigger jet will improve the performances of the boiler.
This is not completely exact.
If you flow too much, the temp/press  will decrease too fast in your tank creating the frost.
At first, I suggest that you look at the size of your jet . A N°3 (30/40 gr/h) is plenty enough. That is what I have in mine which is return flue. It takes a bit longer to to warm up but the burner supplies enough energy to feed the engine.
You may also just crack up you needle valve on the gas tank when fired up, but this is more aleatory.
Remember that a good temp for steaming is when the beer is at the right temp! %) ok2
I hope that you will solve your problem and that we enjoy her sailing.
Regards.

[size=78%]http://modelismenavalvapeur.forumactif.com/t13-gicleurs-gaz-equivalence-british#14[/size][/size][size=78%] [/size]

terry horton

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2020, 09:05:23 am »

Hello KB10

Thanks for your kind words.... Both you and KNO3 have been most helpful with your suggestions and I look forward to the end of this Virus problem and a good days steaming.
As per KNO3's suggestion I may record and upload a video of the boat fully assembled and running..... sadly not on the lake

Kind regards
Terry H 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 22 queries.