Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: importance of planning  (Read 1897 times)

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
importance of planning
« on: January 27, 2020, 04:42:12 pm »

hi, all
i have been building my tyne class lifeboat for some time now, progress has been slow but steady, some things should be in place at the early stages and become very difficult if left out, i thought by leaving the two motors out until after the decking was in place would be ok, but after a great deal of heart ache and a lot of choice words i have really struggled to put the motors in, after endless amount of trial and error aligning the shafts to motors waiting for the glue to set i find ive left hardly any room to get the coupling in/success has been achieved but boy has it been difficult, im not looking for sympathy but perhaps a little warning for other new builders, plan ahead...
ive powered up the motors today and its time to plan out the rest of the electrics, oh and shes having a bath check to see how she sits in water
 :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:
Trucker

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
Re: importance of planning
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2020, 07:39:30 pm »

Hello Trucker,
 One of the reasons I ways buy and put  good quality motors in from the start so hopefully you'll only have to buy and set them up once, please  am not saying you have  but I know of many  who have bought cheap motors and then complain when they have to replace them and as you have pointed out putting in motors or replacing them and setting them up can be a real pain,
            Regards Howard.   

RST

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 09:11:47 pm »

It can be a pain but I often put motors in after deck, hatches and coamings are on.  It can be a proper faff but I figure if I got it in, it can usually come out again.  Always try to do the alignment part first though sometimes I forget and it never ends up quite as good the second time!

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2020, 09:35:02 pm »

strangely aligning the motors with shafts went well using a really stiff nylon tube which replaced the coupling, i found my hands are just not small enough  ;) , i even had to make up a small spanner, well out of my comfort zone, looking ahead im thinking of changing the the outer tube for a smaller size which should give a little bit more room for the collet and locking nut, but im going to hold out a bit on that one,as its nice and tight now im not going back in there...
some experience this is. looking forward to the next build  {-)

RST

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 10:10:21 pm »

It's all good experience. Rudder stocks and tiller arms remain my nemesis. I always seem to put them just a bit out of practical reach and a bit too "tight" for access!

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 10:25:34 pm »

just read in the engineering techniques that the outer tube of the propshaft can be cut to size, this would help me out greatly if i could do this, so how would i go about cutting this tube straight, using a saw seems a little dodgy for the perfect edge..

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2020, 10:34:13 pm »

Get yourself a tube cutter like this.  Pretty well guarantees a square cut, although you will have to file out the internal burr that it generates to get the bearing back in the tube.  (If the bearing is reluctant to go back in the tube, put it in the freezer for a couple of hours.)

Greg

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2020, 09:18:14 am »

Second Sailorgreg's suggestion. Wouldn't be without mine. Does plastic tube as well, with a bit of care on larger diameters.
Don't Assume Check

Trucker

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2020, 04:01:34 pm »

well,
i have again spent time on this issue, studied, stared, thought about the problem  %%  and then dived in, decided i had to shorten the stuffing tube by at least 10mm, next job i removed the shafts by now im on the second cuppa, measurements made and went at, i tried the pipe cutter but it didnt cut the steal tube, so had to very carefully use a hacksaw, after cleaning up the edges insuring there was no tight spots, i put it all back together , Bingo,  :} :} :} , a good result time well worth spending in the man cave..

Plan carefully fellow builders :embarrassed:

Trucker

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2020, 06:26:51 pm »

Ah, steel tubes.  I assumed (yes, I know, I know, don't assume) they were brass tubes.  Glad you got it all sorted.

Greg
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.