Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tv  (Read 1413 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
tv
« on: February 27, 2020, 12:28:13 pm »

my mates tv keeps switches it self  on he turns it off then after a couple of hours it comes on by itself not got the hammer out yet

RST

Re: tv
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2020, 12:54:30 pm »

Think you might be better calling a priest!

...does it have anything in settings menu where you can set an auto timer? Some tv's let you set an "on" time as well as off.  You can usually google the tv menu settings if he doesn't have the manual any more.

sabre

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2020, 01:03:48 pm »

Spooks.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2020, 01:51:31 pm »

Tell your mate that his TV won't play silly beggars if he turns it off at the mains. When left on standby it will also waste power.
DaveM

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2020, 04:18:28 pm »

its either that or one of his mates with a sense of humour has programmed a remote and is turning it on from across the road.

HMS Invisible

• MICROGYROS.COM
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Yes, it works!
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2020, 08:39:22 pm »

try this

https://www.google.com/search?q=keeps+switches+it+self+on+he+turns+it+off+then+after+a+couple+of+hours+it+comes+on+by+itself&oq=keeps+switches+it+self++on+he+turns+it+off+then+after+a+couple+of+hours+it+comes+on+by+itself&aqs=chrome..69i57.14135j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
What comes up from the search is the on/off power button on the remote is the first to become sticky and needs cleaned. Either clean or take the batteries out the remote.
If anyone suffers from the telly switching off the cause appears in the above search. Power supply capacitors loosing electrolyte and capacitance.
< All manner of contact methods over to the left.

RST

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 09:48:24 pm »

I live out of hotels at the moment for work.  Even in the same hotel I'm in a different room with different telly.  Being single I hate silence.  TV is important for me for news, political shows and general whats happening -I like to be able to listen to R4 through it also.  I always:
Step zero:  If it has Netflix, press the button and see how many folk didn't log-out!  I've rifled through so many folks netflix programmes and collections it's unreal.  Unfortunately literally everyone so far watches dire and complete and utter rubbish -particularly the ladies names!!!!  I've never found anything to watch even if I wanted to but I always report to reception on check-out the TV is still logged-on in case they can re-set it for the benefit of the numpties before!!  Someone else after me might well take advantage.

1: Clean the remote.  I'd agree buttons stop working -but at home I have remotes 25 years old and they work fine (one I think might still be on original batteries!)
2: Re-tune it.  Sorry -whoevever brought in this promise about digital being immune to interference was talking absolute guff.  The interference is just "different".  I have to re-tune my own TV's quite often -but I have 2 and they need re-tuning at different periods off the same aerial
3: Restore the channels which keep dissapearing.  Bring back TV when you used to have fixed channels!!!!!!4: Re-set the colour so everyone doesn't look like they've been painted with David Dickinsons favourite shade of Ronseal varnish5: On occasion, TV keeps turning off automatically, go and check settings etc. I often find timers have been set randomly somehow, presumably by accident

PS, if remote isn't working or working intermittantly, I use the age-old trick of very lightly tapping it first then it comes back to life.  Taking one battery out or rotating it in-situ.  Probably explaines why I think one of my remotes is still on the same Pnasonic batteries after 25 years now.  The Scottish blood in me must prevail sometimes.
...So bring back old telly.  It seems much more hassle than it's worth these days.  I have to chnge settings on my Mum's TV most times I go see her.  Most times it's operator error or this problem that they just stop working if you don't check these days.

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 11:40:30 am »

The TV in the bedroom - the wife being as blind as a bat, seems to press the retune button every so often even though its through a menu and requires several other button presses, don't know how she does it.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 12:22:52 pm »

thanks for replys all sorted  told by a sky engerneer to turn off at the mains for a few hours so far ok

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 12:50:44 pm »

one thing  I have  come across   as weird happenings was with my all in one remote not a cheapo version  pretty expensive  and clever.   it would   start to carry out the wrong commands   
like turn on my   cinema set up amp or  turn sky off and back to terrestial  and a few other oddities . This only happened  when the Batts appeared to be running low (no indication)  put  fresh Batts  all ok. After a period  of a batt changes  and as this never happened with previous makes of Batt they would come up as getting low. Stopped using the problem ones  KODAK from a well known  cheap shop and never happened since . I stopped using them in my boat remotes as well just in case I can only guess these batts perhaps discharge  erratically or something and maybe affecting the signal.  could be. Anyroad  could cause havoc on the pond

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2020, 01:31:13 pm »

Only ever use Duracell for my house remotes and RC stuff, or Panasonic Eneloop Rechargeables from Component shop for RC, started to use these in my SLr camera and I found out they out performed the expensive Non Rechargeable Duracell's by a considerable amount !!

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 22 queries.