Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Perkasa refurb then selling  (Read 2187 times)

red181

• Full Mayhemer
Perkasa refurb then selling
« on: March 02, 2020, 11:33:51 pm »

Hi All,

Recently picked up a Perkasa, about 3 foot in length, hull is grp/fibreglass, and superstructure is plastic. I bought this to just tinker, make pretty, and get running, then sell, as I don't really sail that much now, just like the refurb jobs. I thought it was going to be rough, but its actually very nice, just needs freshening up, some repaint, and getting running. All fittings are there, guns, twin torpedo's and so on, the wheelhouse is nicely detailed

Yes, its to make a profit!,  any profit goes into my RC fund, which is currently depleting at a fast speed as I fly (crash) planes  :embarrassed:

Ill post up here the progress, and the first question is.... Its a none runner, no esc's, but does have triple motors. I'm staying brushed motors, and can handle wiring and setting up two, but never done 3, what's a simple cost effective way of doing 3, and is it worth it!

Thanks

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Perkasa refurb then selling
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 04:49:56 pm »

The Hooben kit's manual recommended running the starboard and centre motor on one Esc and the port on it's own.

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 08:03:21 pm »

Personally I would power the Port and Stbd and leave the middle freewheeling

Dave

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2020, 11:26:00 am »

yes I think its the easiest answer, if I was keeping long term, I could do some mixes on my transmitter, by having port and std on the throttle via "Y" lead, then mix the aux channel on the receiver to throttle for the third central motor.

I could also mix throttle to rudder, so the outside motors are proportional in a turn, but it needs two esc then, ...… got to keep things simple, so it sells easier!

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2020, 12:24:58 pm »

I have two boats with three motors in and both are run off a single esc. Two motors rotate in one direction and the leads are swapped to the other motor so it rotates in the opposite direction. Never had any problems. The boat with twin rudders is very manoeuvrable.
Roger

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2020, 12:28:32 pm »

What esc are you using roger

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2020, 12:33:03 pm »

The larger boat has an Mtroniks Viper Marine 40 and the smaller boat has an Mtroniks Viper Marine 20.
Roger

RST

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 07:12:37 pm »

I think if it's an open "Mike Brewer" job then personally I'd concentrate on doing up the model and finishing it to a decent point someone can put their own mechanics in.  There must be more than a dozen options for motors and controls so if it's not your interest I think better to leave to the next person.  It will make your job easier also if it's not a keeper.

Just my thoughts.

Rich

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 11:07:51 pm »

Needs to be a complete runner Rich, as its part of the build for me, testing etc, getting it right. When I sell anything a successful set up with supporting video will always get the best price! :-))

RST

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2020, 02:07:30 am »

Then do as you wish I guess. I never made a penny off my hobbies. It's not the point of it. You're kind of advertising this as bottom dollar for the end product so good luck with it.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2020, 08:34:08 am »

My sales self fund my hobby as I don't take family funds to buy my toys. It's the building and tinkering I enjoy, after that I lose interest ! I endeavour to recoup my outlay and a little extra to pay for my time, then move on to the next subject, keeps me busy in the manshed!

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2020, 11:06:39 pm »

been making progress, but I have a distraction on the other side of the manshed, as per picture! :}

I've had the 3 motors running, the plan at this stage is to run two outer motors on the electronize esc, (I need to do some research to see if the electronize esc I have can handle 3 motors) and the centre one on a separate esc. Using a mix from a spare channel to the throttle, operated by a switch on the transmitter, I can switch on the third motor when required, for the faster runs. The spare esc I have is forward only anyway.

Problem I have is the supply voltage, there are no markings on any of the motors to give any clue what they are, and therefore I cant establish what voltage they can run on. They look like 400 size cans, so I'm guessing 6v, which isn't much really.

There is a lot more work that I first thought, the mounts where poor, bent props, slop and so on, easy enough to do and Im on with that. The detail is actually nice, I got the radar working tonight, most of it just needs tidying.

For bonus points! can anyone name the "distraction"! :-))

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 12:10:39 am »

Red,

Is it the
Seagull Master Scale 67in A6M2 Zero

David.

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2020, 07:09:39 am »

I'll give you that David!
World models zero, thunder tiger 91 4 stroke, going through a very weathered paint job!

RST

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2020, 09:51:05 pm »

Outer 2 look like 500 type can motors (they don't look long enough as '600 type but may be wrong), middle one may be more like 400 to me scaling purely off the huco couplings. Would have thought 6 cell Ni-Mh would be safe enough but depends.  Place a ruler for scale perhaps? Also depends on propellers!

red181

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2020, 11:09:01 pm »

some great progress, the outer shafts now work on one esc, I uncovered a new electronize esc from the parts box, don't know how long I've had that! and using a smaller esc the third centre motor is operated using my transmitter, via a throttle to auxiliary channel mix, then assigning a switch to turn it on and off. Its mixed to the throttle so it works at exactly the same speed. I can just turn it off when not needed.

As the motors are quite small, I guess its no more than a two cell 7.2 v lipo, or a compatible nimh stick. The boat is light, so lumping a heavy lead acid battery in there would be counter productive imo. One battery for the outer shafts, one for the centre. As the centre will only be used for faster speed, it might work that that battery will be preserved, and they can be switched over for longer use. The wiring is all tidied up, the rudder is sorted as it was faulty, so its on the cosmetic work now, and there isn't really that much to do :-))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmRqlv2smFc
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 22 queries.