Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: gas tanks  (Read 909 times)

steam4

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
gas tanks
« on: March 04, 2020, 03:07:12 am »

I have a  Cleevedon steam gas tank. here in Canada there are no butane refill tanks that are the same aa those in uk. the top of the refill does not have a thread to screw the refill adaptor to.the best I have come up with is the end of stove burner.to say the least this is a pretty iffy way of doing this. has anyone run into this and if so how did you over come it.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
Re: gas tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2020, 04:05:04 am »

Google confirms that universal disposable butane/butane-propane 220gm containers are available in BC.....

Purchase a 3 or 6 pack of containers with the slide lock and male tip [google example is your Woods brand]
[a large hardware chain could be 1/2 that price]

Purchase a slide lock and male thread [EN 5/16] adapter
Purchase an [EN 5/16] female screwed x extension adapter

Some people suggest the higher burn temperature of 100% butane is superior over butane/butane-propane mix, however in Australia, the latter is some 30 less expensive over the 100% butane

I also use the 220 gm for gas heating, and refilling a smaller [+micro] gas torches for soft and silver soldering]..[cost is about $1.60 for a 220gm disposable can]

One needs to look carefully, as Coleman brand disposable butane containers with the screwed EN 5/16 top can be found, however are cost prohibitive @
<*< $14.00 for 250 gm]

Derek

PS...[the irony here for Australians is it is our gas, compressed, liquified, shipped to Korea, they decant it to the 220 gm containers {but in a gaseous/liquid state}......then ship millions of little green cans back to OZ for us to consume %% ]
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 21 queries.