Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Brush vs Spray Can vs Airbrush  (Read 25532 times)

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Brush vs Spray Can vs Airbrush
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2012, 09:00:48 pm »

Based on the appreciated advice given I have purchased this airbrush kit:

Compressor, top gravity cup and bottom suction cup double action airbrushes, plus air hose and six spare bottles.  £68 on E-Bay.  Hopefully this should cover both hull spraying and finer work, and was half the price I was quoted before.
Thinking more about containing residual paint mist spread, I may try rigging an old sheet from a curtain rail formed into a 'D' shape with the bottom of the sheet covering the work bench.  Based on the video clip I will make up a piece of A4 ply with a dowel handle underneath for spraying small parts.

Well, I have bitten the bullet and am about to give it a go  O0

I've been looking at one very similar on fleabay. They look good quality and for the price, well, even a couple of kiwk cote rattle cans start to look expensive.

Please let me know how you get on with it.

Norseman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2012, 10:49:05 pm »

Like you Boatonic I'm still thinking too but wondering if JB's type  in post 21 wouldn't be better as it has a reservoir.
Without a reservoir won't the pump be continuously cycling? But maybe not as I haven't used one before...... but if
it is cycling continuously it will be noisy for longer too. er um?

Dave

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2012, 02:06:42 pm »

Like you Boatonic I'm still thinking too but wondering if JB's type  in post 21 wouldn't be better as it has a reservoir.
Without a reservoir won't the pump be continuously cycling? But maybe not as I haven't used one before...... but if
it is cycling continuously it will be noisy for longer too. er um?

Dave

I've watched a youtube vid of these compressors. I wouldnt say they were that noisey. Yes, the guy who was doing the video had to speak in a louder voice when it was running but he wasnt shouting either. Compressors similar to the one shown above with a ressie and two ab's are a lot more expensive at around £300 (or at least the ones I've seen from the same supplier are).

Im not certain if the one bought by the poster is an auto start \ stop so this will cut the time of any noise down and also result in compnents lasting longer since the compressor isnt always on. The ones I was looking at also had a 3 metre hose so you dont need the compressor right next to you which would mean any noise at the operators ears would be less than if you were stood right next to it.

This is one of the 'kits' I have been looking at on fleabay. Not sure it is the same company as the poster as I have seen another company selling very similar.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350356284520?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

bobk

« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2012, 03:19:30 pm »

The AS18 unit I bought on EBay, with two airbrushes (see photo above) is a lot quieter than I was expecting after watching videos.  It is a piston type which I understand is a lot less noisy than a diaphragm unit.  Yes, my wife can hear it in the other room when I have the door and windows open, but does not disturb her TV viewing.  I have seen the same unit in a local model shop costing a lot more - even without the two airbrushes and 1m of air pipe.
Turn it on and it pumps up to 100psi then cut out, holding that pressure even if turned off overnight.  Start spraying and the pressure drops rapidly to what you have set (ie 20psi) which stays fairly constant provided you don't hold the air button down constantly.  In practice I release the button briefly after each spray pass.  No point in wasting paint.  With practice I can get a reasonably constant 20psi when passing the brush across the model.
As stated before, I am brand new to airbrushing, and I am sure that as my experience with this grows I will gradually get better with what I want to achieve.
Bob K

NigelW

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 01:04:08 pm »

Hi Bob,

I've read your posts with interest as I'm thinking of investing in an airbrush. As it's been a while since your last post, I was wondering how you're getting on with it and whether you'd recommend that particular kit?

I already have a compressor in the workshop but not sure whether I'd be better off buying a dedicated one as part of the kit.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Nigel

bobk

« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 01:41:48 pm »

Hi Nigel,

Using the kit I quoted above, it came out very well.  I used Tamiya acrylics, thinned with 10mL of Tamiya thinner per pot, but did quite a bit of practice on card and old plastic containers first.  Oddly, I found the top cup airbrush seemed to work best, although had to refill it from the mixed paint pot fairly often.

For the under hull red oxide I ended up using a Halfords acrylic rattle can, mainly because I could not get a colour match in Tamiya or Humbrol.   All main areas sprayed, then added decking and fine details were brush-painted using Humbrol enamels.   On completion I used two lightish coats of Plasticote interior satin varnish spray.  Zero reaction to acrylic or enamel, and a nice looking protective finish.

Photo from my HMS Amazon 1906 build log on Mayhem

NigelW

« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 02:07:15 pm »

Hi Bob, thanks for the quick reply. Lovely looking paint job and pleased to hear the chosen kit is working out for you.

I spotted this at lunchtime, which could in theory run off my workshop compressor and might fix the problem of having to regularly refill the pot, since it comes with both a gravity fed pot and a bottle, either of which are fitted to the side.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350453587181?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649#ht_1073wt_916

It's an unknown quantity to me at least, and a bit of a gamble on the brush quality so it would be good to know if anyone has experience of this item.

Thanks again,

Nigel

bobk

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2012, 03:24:39 pm »

Hi Nigel,

That was my first airbrush attempt.  I really should let one of our airbrush experts answer this, but as you already have a compressor this has both the gravity and suction bottle options, apprears to have adjustable flow rate, and looks well made.  I assume hose connection should be standard.

Bob K

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2020, 11:53:12 am »

I know this is a very old topic but just found a good video on airbrush and chrome finish:

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 22 queries.