Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: tv reception  (Read 1536 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
tv reception
« on: March 06, 2020, 11:03:13 am »

no free view tv half the time. and only half of sky tv aerial all ok any one else having trouble

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Re: tv reception
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 11:13:33 am »

Freeview comes from a standard TV aerial via a coaxial cable.

Sky comes from a satellite dish via your Sky Box.

They are completely separate systems.

If your sky is connected to your TV with an HDMI cable, and you get Freeview via a cable from your aerial, the only common ground is the TV.

Can you substitute a different TV to see if it makes a difference?

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 11:22:53 am »

High winds and rain can mess up the High Definition Freeview signal. If you are using tht then switch to standard definition which has a stronger signal, i.e. channel 1 instead of channel 101 and see if that makes a difference.

Colin

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2020, 12:46:03 pm »

There is a program of upgrading TV transmitters going on at the moment. I had to retune our sets on Wednesday and have found that several HD and +1 channels are now no longer available here. It seems the airspace is being freed up to permit even more of those lovely little 5G phones to work. So now I can't watch a TV channel but I will be able to turn the lights out with a phone...
Here's a web article about how it will affect Wales, but it's not restricted to that area. https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/freeview-channels-disappearing-transmitters-updated-17859158?utm_source=sharebar&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=sharebar

Dave M

Ken G121

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2020, 04:22:34 pm »

For sky channel signals, some travel horizontal and some vertical, check which channels are missing if they are all horizontal or all vertical then problem is liable to be dish alignment or lnb problem. Go into menu on sky and check signal strengths

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2020, 04:35:55 pm »

as do all terrestrial channels  depending on which Tx it might help if it was clear  whether we are talking about one issue ie terrestrial or satellite or both

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2020, 06:32:32 pm »

as do all terrestrial channels  depending on which Tx it might help if it was clear  whether we are talking about one issue ie terrestrial or satellite or both
I imagine the reference to "transmitters" in the article implies that the issue is restricted to terrestrial transmissions. I do have a dish connected to the set but I haven't tried the Freesat version yet, mainly because I've forgotten how to select it! I would expect all channels to be available on that. If I ever manage to tune in to it then I'll let you know....that's if any of us can be bothered at that stage.
DM

RST

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2020, 06:38:59 pm »

What happened to those 5G "filter" things that got posted out some time ago.  My mum and brother got one but it got put on the shelf. 5G -whatever happened to 3G!  I've been on H+ last 2 months.  But this is the first week in ages I've come home at end of week and Freeview not needed re-tuned.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2020, 07:18:05 pm »

Yes Dave I'm only referring to Terrestrial Antenna  The sky polarity not quite the same thing

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2020, 07:43:19 pm »

no free view tv half the time. and only half of sky tv ariel all ok any one else having trouble
Loss of some Sky channels but not all is indicative of the relatively weak signal the Sky platform uses but can also point to a rusted dish or faulty LNB.
If you have an older Sky box ie Sky + or the standard definition model before, if I remember right, you can plug a terrestrial aerial into it and watch Freeview through the box via an ordinary aerial without the box being switched on.
If your set up is like this, have a look at your dish. If it is showing signs of being quite rusty, Id suggest that's your problem.

If you have a separate terrestrial aerial plugged into the tv and both Freeview and some Sky channels are unavailable, that suggests atmospheric and terrestrial transmitter issues.

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 10:54:38 am »

some tv bloke coming out tomorrow to replace ariel and cable  got a good job on  10 flats  thanks for replys 
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 21 queries.