Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sealing the wood  (Read 1611 times)

no1chunk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Sealing the wood
« on: March 26, 2020, 04:29:41 pm »

Hello looking at my first build using wood kit plank on frame and where would i start on the sealing side of things. Been doing research on differant things regarding the wooden kits as always gone for grp hulls and plasticard built a few now but fancy given the billings fairmount alpine a go but dont know how to seal the inside and how to go about painting the outside. Thanks for any input

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Sealing the wood
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 04:50:09 pm »

Informative build log here :-
https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49380.0.html

Regards,
Ray.

Edit : the photos of the build now located here :-

https://modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/album/bXv/?page=2&seek=8Qxeh

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:34 pm »

I've built several POF models all from plans. Based on advice from magazines and books I use the following method. Having planked and sanded the hull I cover it with paper masking tape. Then using a filler of choice I spread it from the inside to fill any small gaps in the planking. The tape stops it from flowing out. Remove the tape and sand again. The inside can then be treated to a coat of varnish/dope/epoxy/paint as preferred. I then use fibre glass tissue and epoxy resin on the outside. Usually 2 coats of resin are sufficient. This gives a strong durable hull. My Brittany trawler is getting on for 20 years old.

Don't Assume Check

no1chunk

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:59:33 am »

Thanks for the replies i thought maybe pva the inside and after sanding the outside fibreglass tissue and resin then sand and another final layer then sand til smooth prime and paint. On the inside i thought after the pva just reinforce any stress points with fibreglass tissue and resin.   What you guys think of that way i have all these in stock why i though go that way no additional money to spend.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 22 queries.