Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Which Temp Silver Solder?  (Read 2122 times)

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
Which Temp Silver Solder?
« on: March 12, 2020, 01:38:22 pm »

After many years of using soft solder without problems I am now looking at making load bearing components that need silver soldering. I am not talking about steam plant but rather propellers and general load bearing drive train brackets and other soldered model boat components.

Which temperature / composition silver solder should be used? The only recommendation normally given is to silver solder the components but that covers many temperature/ compositon variations.

I have been looking at the CUP alloys website and hoping that their low temperature silver solder is enough.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: Which Temp Silver Solder?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2020, 01:48:22 pm »

Their 455 silver-solder is the stuff I use, along with their HT5 flux. I think they do a Starter Kit. If you E-Mail them you'll find they are very helpful. BTW even though it's called "low temperature" you will still need a decent gas torch and fine-flame nozzle. A soldering iron or a small pencil-flame torch just won't have the guts. Here's one on offer at present - it's the one I use https://www.amazon.co.uk/Campingaz-TH2000PZ-Ignition-Blowlamp-Cartridge/dp/B000TF4RMS?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_1 This is the nozzle https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Home-Kitchen/Camping-X1650-Extra-Fine-Flame-Burner/B000TF4QX8

DaveM

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2020, 06:28:04 pm »

Also have a look at Cup Alloys web site, lots of useful information on there, and they have a very good sales service.
Phil
Steamed up all the time

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2020, 08:03:00 pm »

There is a low melt Silver Solder set available called Stay Brite - more than strong enough for propellers and such like . Been using it for years with a small pencil type gas torch . Very easy to use and makes a very strong joint.  Looks like normal electric type solder and comes with a liquid flux in a plastic bottle - all packed in a clear container. Easy to store too

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 09:07:12 pm »

Cup Alloys also sell 0.5 mm diameter S/S wire in 1000 mm lengths

This is absolutely ideal for making your own solder rings for your selected tubing size.....[uniform material deposit and dispersion with zero wastage]

I have selected the common sizes for 1/8" & 5/32" OD tube.........

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2020, 09:43:45 pm »

They also from time to time sell two grades of silver solder foil that I find useful .
This site has a handy prop making jig
http://members.dodo.com.au/~sjbatche/making_propellers.htm

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2020, 07:17:21 am »

This is the solder - much easier as you can use a small gas torch instead of a blowlamp................

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2020, 07:41:37 am »

Thank you everyone.

I think that I am going to delay a decision until as replies keep coming in and until I have found out if I know anyone with a suitable torch. I am sure that I must!

That first silver solder joint might be rather more expensive than I had expected.

I will look at Stay Brite.

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2020, 07:43:00 am »

Mispost

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2020, 02:00:15 pm »

Have a scout around the kitchen. You might find one of those chef's torches used for creme brulee and other stuff.  That's what I did a while back and it worked a treat for the silver soldering I was doing.

Of course, you might have to suffer for your hobby if the chef takes exception to having her tools pinched.

Greg

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2020, 08:53:52 pm »

From the look of it Stay Brite is a high temperature soft solder being mostly tin, not likely to have the strength of proper silver solder.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

redpmg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2020, 02:46:27 pm »

Jim - Stay Brite probably does not have the full strength I agree - but its more than adequate for props etc - have yet to have one fail - have had a few bumps on the rocks which bent the props & rudders - no damage otherwise to them - cant say the same for the boats . Its has Silver content as US laws are pretty stringent re false advertising ........... and they tend to get enforced too.

The only time I would see the need for various melting point Silver Solders is for high pressure boilers - the old Mamod Toy & Midwest boilers seem to be assembled with soft solder and don't seem to have any problems .
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 21 queries.