Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Colonial Sugar Refinery Co. Tug: Maro  (Read 7700 times)

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
Re: The Colonial Sugar Refinery Co. Tug: Maro
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 11:38:50 pm »

Hi Rich, no laser cutter. I use a local sign maker who does laser cutting as a service. There are several in town and I've used a few of them over the years. I've been using these guys since my previous supplier retired about five years ago.

I would like one of my own, maybe when the costs for an 80w A3 laser get a bit more affordable. Out of the question at the moment.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2020, 10:08:14 pm »

Finally got around to finishing off a couple of the things I started last week. The painting, which is usually a simple job for me, seemed to turn into a process of mistakes and accidents. I left a fingerprint in the semi dry paint on the wheelhouse, dropped a couple of newly painted object onto the ground while moving them outside to dry in the sun, dropped the engine room skylight housing into the tin of undercoat – that’s a first. Managed to extract it before it sank but cleaning it up took about 10 times longer than painting it.

And to cap it all off, I used some very old masking tape where the adhesive had gone off and either left behind a sticky residue or let paint bleed under it. Yes – those are runs on the rear wall of the wheelhouse but they will be covered up by the water tank – but thank you for not mentioning it.

All fixed now but very dissatisfying.

RST

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2020, 10:24:52 pm »

Looks great Steve!  Go on...keep us in suspense about the doors on the wheelhouse (though the holes paint a picture) LoL!

Rich

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2020, 08:57:46 pm »

Well spotted Rich.

I'm tending toward the wooden steps with a hand-rail on the door handle side only, so the door could open flat against the side of the wheelhouse.

RST

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2020, 09:19:05 pm »

Hi Steve. Re paint runs do you use the usual trick of first spraying in the underlying colour again to seal the paint edge before going over with the new colour. I looked back the other day while paint was drying around some rubbing strakes and found comical peel-back in places my tape just didn't want to stick. I was amazed it turned out OK in the end!

...couple of tiny dabs with a fine brush will fix yours though, nobody will know! Very nice and neat.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2020, 11:40:35 pm »

It seems that you can have too much of a good thing.

I had imagined that an 8 week lockdown would mean that I could spend all day at the work bench, however, after 4 weeks I completely lost interest in the Maro. It has been sitting neglected for over a month. I've tried to kick-start the project a couple of times and haven't made much progress.

I'm trying to get some enthusiasm back to get the thing finished and will put in some time over the next week. I have pretty much made all of the elements that need to be added to finish it but not much has happened. I didn't even take any photos of the little that I did manage to do.

I've made the mast, bitts, samson posts, windlass, life buoy rings, tow bow, railings and nav lights.

Because I don't have any reference of the deck equipment a lot of this stuff is 'best guess' scenario. So I've also made a rope bin and a rope drum. The bin was made from surplus laser cut duckboards. The drum: from some extra PE brass cogs that were originally made for a winch/windlass on the YTL I made couple of years ago. They worked fine once the teeth had been filed off. Soldering the outer rail was quite complicated – the spokes are 1.5mm long and were very difficult to solder. Worked out OK.

The hose reel was made from the spare PE brass tiller wheels from the Sea Mule I made earlier this year. The box of bits worked out this time.

These all need to be fixed in place. Probably only a few solid evenings' work and it'll be finished.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2020, 11:20:02 pm »

Slowly plugging away. Got the mast completed and installed.
And attached the water tank.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2020, 12:55:59 pm »

Some real pride going into this build!   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: June 20, 2020, 03:12:04 am »

Thanks Martin.

Not too much left to do now. Which is just as well because my mind has already started wandering to the next project.

I have a bag of car size tyres that I can use as fenders. I need 60 of them for a future project so every now and then I make a dozen and put them into storage. I only needed 6 for the Maro but the pre-made ones are more of the wider modern type – not the narrower tyres that were in use during the war.

Easily fixed. I made up 6 new tyres out of 2 rather than 3 1.5mm segments. You can see the difference between the 2 styles. The thinner style looks about right.

They are now attached and the boat is 99% done. The fire equipment is done. The hose reel now has a hose, made from thin gauge plastic coated wire, with a 'brass' nozzle. I won't bother making another bucket at 1/50 again. Too fiddly. Next time it'll be 3D printed. I still need to paint the inside of the bucket, and stain the fender ties.

The only jobs left are: a rope bow fender roll, attach the deck lights and the anchor.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2020, 12:37:09 am »

Lovely job, Steve, a model to be proud of. I see that the long dark cloud (as opposed to the long white cloud %) ) of covid restrictions has lifted over there in Aotearoa, so life must be returning to something approaching normal. You should now be able to restock your building supplies ready for your next project :-)

Peter.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: June 21, 2020, 11:20:13 am »

Thanks Peter, and yes, returning to normal alright. The rugby season has resumed and the mighty Hurricanes have taken up where they left off – with another thrashing tonight. Watching that was 2 hours that would have been better spent at the work-bench.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: June 21, 2020, 12:58:18 pm »

Over here.......sentiments appear to be over brewing........a Melbourne small business 'Home Brewer" business  is forced with a backlash....as their "Colonial Home Brew" name somehow portrays this Master & Slave relationship :-X

..so certain sections of our Community are calling for a ban on the product

Thank goodness they are not asking for a Black Ban  {-) 

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #37 on: June 21, 2020, 01:14:56 pm »

A gorgeous build log and project Steve! I could see no evidence of a broken rudder skeg or paint bleeds and can only think that Rugby withdrawal was making you giddy  :}

Despite your interest waning some time back, the return to completing it shows no evidence of rushing the job to get it out of the way.

Pond weed is your enemy

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2020, 09:59:02 pm »

Thanks Ballastanksian. Everything looks better when you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Not too much left to do and I can start thinking about the next one.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2020, 11:42:05 am »

Finished.

Well, almost. I only have only thing left to do. I still need to put on the names but that will have to wait until I get a batch of rub-downs produced.

The last little items seemed to take longer than they should have. I had initially planned on having a New York 'beard' style bow fender and had just about finished it when I decided to go with a 'pudding' style rope fender instead. The fender wasn't too much trouble – just hundreds of tiny hitches, that took hours to do. It was the turk's head around the middle of the fender that really caused problems. They are quite complicated to tie and I spent quite a few hours tying knots that looked more like the opposite end of the Turk from the head. Eventually got there with a 5 bight, 4 lead, triple pass knot. Now that it's dyed you can hardly see it. Doh!

So, here it is, minus name plates.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2020, 11:45:57 am »

I'm mostly happy with it. Nice hull shape and colour. My method for building hulls is getting easier each time. The acrylic paint isn't able to take the knocks as well as enamel – I'll know better next time.

I might have to learn a 3D drawing programme and start printing some of the labour intensive, repetitive parts – buckets, vents, nav lights, capstans, etc.

But first, I'll have a couple of days to figure out which boat makes it to the top of my wish list.

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2021, 04:32:28 am »

It has been 6 months since I updated this build. I reached practical completion back in July but now I have finally added the name plate rub-downs. I had waited until I had several models worth of rub-downs to do in one order. These came from All-Out Graphics in Vancouver – excellent as usual.

So she's all done – at last.

Been on a shelf since July and I'm still pleased with her lines, and the final colour. Tugs from this era seem to have a lot of character.

tassie48

• bikes birds and burnups
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2021, 08:43:14 pm »

Great build Steve can not to see whats next you inspire people to build well done buddy tassie48
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 23 queries.