Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Billings Boat Flyvefisken-class patrol vessel refit  (Read 1260 times)

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
Billings Boat Flyvefisken-class patrol vessel refit
« on: March 17, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »

Hi all,

Just started refitting an old battered flyvefisken class patrol boat.

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Billings Boat Flyvefisken-class patrol vessel refit
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:18:20 pm »

Today started with extending the wires on the two MFA 140's which will work as the two outer engines with the centre engine being a 380 motor.

Then was the paint, overwhelmed at the cost of a small pot of Humbrol I popped into my local B&Q

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 05:25:52 pm »

Photos of the motors and paint:

mogurnda

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 03:35:42 pm »

Ben ,
Strange choice of paint, Emulsion !   Can I ask why ?
Cheers David

Ken G121

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2020, 07:55:25 pm »

Do you need construction book and drawing, I am sure I have them somewhere
Regards. Ken

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 11:40:23 pm »

Hi David, the paint choice mainly came down to cost and colour, to get a paint of the right colour in enamel or acrylic cost a lot and the cheaper paints of that type didn't have the right tones, walking around B&Q I noticed these tester pots which gave me a very wide range of colour choices and cost only £1.30 per rather large pot.
I'm not sure how much hope I give out for the longevity of it especially the 'antifoul' and hull sides which will see the most water and more crucially the most water flow, but for now as a way to get me back into the hobby with a half decent looking boat on a budget it seemed worth a punt.

Today I put the boat in the bath to decide exactly where I would like to position the batteries and exactly what batteries I would use, the design of the boat whilst un-ballasted is inherently unstable and placing to 6v lead acids in the battery holder space saw the boat try to impersonate a submarine.
In the end Ive decided to run three different set ups on depending on anticipated run time and weather conditions;

2 X 7.2v batteries in series located by the transom between the shafts and the rudder stocks, these will power the central 380 motor

Then the two outer motors will be wired to allow them to run off of either:

- A single 7.2v for quick trips down the lake on a calm sunny day

- single 6v lead acid for slightly longer excursions or use in more open water/ moderate conditions

- Finally two 6v lead acids in series for endurance trips or use in rough conditions

Where possible I wanted to avoid the use of dead weight such as lead and when possible it would be nice to be able to open the throttles up so to speak, given the moderate engines fitted a lightweight boat is critical to this good turn of speed but as I plan to sometimes launch from a beach or off the back of a yacht there are times where stability will be a must.

Jumping back to the point about the paint, it has survived the dunking today with no visible signs of degradation so fingers crossed I get away with cheaping out for once.

BailingBen

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 11:47:02 pm »

Hi Ken,

If you do have those to hand that would be nice to have, with many parts missing I'm currently just making it up as I go along with what looks good and not that fussed about absolute accuracy but drawings would help if they show any finer details.

One of the biggest details I have decided not to re produce is the radar, or more specifically the mess of little bits that support it, I think instead I will modernise it a little bit with a Sampson radar style ping pong ball complete with sticky outy bits, if I dare to dream I may even make it rotate  %) .[size=78%] [/size]
[/size]
I have also made the decision not to make the 'fencing' that encapsulates the aft deck area as I don't rate its chances of not getting knocked off again a few months down the line.

I am planning to add back in the A frame style assembly on the back of the funnel and also some more details to the radar mast and coach roof of the superstructure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 22 queries.