Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hi from the mainland, Norderney and Atlantic Challenger  (Read 1184 times)

Pentip

• Shipmate
  • Norderney, Atlantic Challenger
Hi from the mainland, Norderney and Atlantic Challenger
« on: March 16, 2020, 09:25:34 am »

Hello everyone,

New to this forum. Recently acquired a Graupner Azimut Atlantic Challenger and am looking for information on how to get her going again. This is how I came accross this forum.

The AAC I have now was once built with the graupner motors on the jet-propulsion units. The units are still there but the motors are gone.

Not a problem as today's brushless options are available. I was able to keep that at bay for quite a long time as I have a Norderney with the pre-historic Decaperms powered by lead-acid bricks inside.

So now I need to get to grips with brushless, battery systems and all that while keeping the original jet-units in one piece plus get a natural look to the way the boat behaves under power.
I do not seek a nervous extremely fast result. I would like to see her get into plane and not too much more than that. For high speeds I wouldn't use a scale model with all the fittings and decals.
--
cheers,

Frank

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
Re: Hi from the mainland, Norderney and Atlantic Challenger
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 11:25:34 am »

Hello Frank,

Member Tom Ships Hugill on this forum could guide you with the motors for the Challenger

This is his boat awesome boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxwBmg0tmsU

Regards
C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Pentip

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 12:58:16 pm »

thank you for that tip, the notes include the type of motor and a quick search shows a reasonable price.  The way the boat flies is too much for me, the very end where he comes back to shore is more to my liking: it shows the waterspray and makes it look what it also is: a heavy boat made for the long runs over the ocean.

When you look at it you know it has lots of power available. I like the sound too, in the last seconds of the video, when it passes by.

--
cheers,

Frank

TomHugill

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 04:30:40 pm »

Hello Frank,

Member Tom Ships Hugill on this forum could guide you with the motors for the Challenger

This is his boat awesome boat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxwBmg0tmsU

Regards
C-3PO

I miss that boat! It was ridiculously stable and you could go full hooligan with it.

Tbh with brushless as cheap as they are it doesnt cost any more to go fast. In this case you could run a similar setup on 2s rather than the 4s I ran it on. Youd be about right with speed like that.

Pentip

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 06:12:15 pm »

Oh, that's great to have you around still. Many times on other forums the challenger got sold and forgotten, the user long on to other ventures.
I did a quick look up on those turnigy's and found them, not available but that's ok. I should be able to get similar specs in a current model I suppose.  I was surprised to see the price, that is a different bandwith than I fearfully expected.

So again, thank you for the reply's and information, I'll keep you posted on progress in due time (hopefully before summer it'll be in active service again)
--
cheers,

Frank

C-3PO

• Full Mayhemer
  • I thought that hairy beast would be the end of me
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 06:19:34 pm »

Hi Frank,

I have this one to take brushless - many projects to complete first!!

C-3PO
I think it's the way I have learnt most of my stuff - getting very stuck first...

Pentip

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 06:43:51 pm »

Sweet!   I especially like the 'voluptuous' looks, it's not a sleek, fast looking needle but it shows that it stows a lot of fuel to go the distance under power. 
Even if it's just a large fuel tanker with huge engines and a few seats, the story and the technology makes it different from other fast model boats to me.

Not that it ever made it, that's another matter. But that Italian design at least had the image right....   

I've found some model builders of the day making the Challenger II and even the US/(Arab was it?) machine. Although great stuff, it's the romantics and bravery of Branson who put it all on the map. Not sure why Graupner chose the Azimut as model instead of the Challenger I or II. 
--
cheers,

Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 21 queries.