Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Damen 3110 Build  (Read 2732 times)

Stumps

• Full Mayhemer
Damen 3110 Build
« on: March 22, 2020, 07:18:34 pm »

A little history me thinks... :} I've been building and fly model aircraft for near on 30 plus years now and haven't built a model boat of any description since the late 80s. Anyway, I bought this hull off of a friend and model boat club member back in 2002 with the hope of getting my son interest in something before he reached his teens. That didn't happen, but that's another story with a very positive ending. Anyway, with all the CAA shenanigans that has blighted the model fly of late, I thought I would dig the hull out and finally make a start.
Here's what I have to play with ~ She's 1/25 scale about 47/48 inches long and nearly 15 inches in the beam.

The deck beams are dry fitted as I need to work out hatches etc.

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
Re: Damen 3110 Build
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2020, 07:14:18 pm »

Wish you well with this build , do you have any plans on how to put what where ,?

I only ask as I bought a hull from MMM and altered its design to build a Daman ASD 2810 , and not having any plans or layout detail I emailed Daman Head Office  and told them what I was trying to do and they very kindly sent me the detail of their current version , extremely kind and helpful so give it a go should you need to , :-))

Stumps

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 01:59:40 pm »

Hi ivorthediver,

Thank you for the heads up re Damen and it's good to know that they may be able to help.
However, I do have a set of good GAs which are at the same scale as model :-))

regards
Ant

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 03:23:33 pm »

Your very welcome Ant ,

Stumps

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2020, 07:09:24 am »

It's been quite a while since posting here as thankfully, the day job has been very full on.

Anyway, I've just taken delivery of these beauties from Simon at the Prop Shop. 2 90mm props and korts which, are just slightly smaller than scale, but 5mm or there about isn't going to be noticed  :}. So, now lets see if I can start this build in earnest.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2020, 12:17:53 pm »

I was Master on the Damen 2609 M C S Nikki in the gulf building the World Island Project off Dubai. Superb little vessels.
Jerry C.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2020, 04:07:53 pm »

I was Master on the Damen 2609 M C S Nikki in the gulf building the World Island Project off Dubai. Superb little vessels.
Jerry C.

In a separate thread could you post photos you may have? Always of great value to speak with someone who was aboard especially if that person was the Master.

I’m currently building a Damen 1205 Stantug.

Jerry C

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2020, 06:21:19 pm »

We were too busy to take photos. Two crews on board, 12hours on 12off. Moving 10,000 tonne barges loaded with stones average 7 tonnes each. 60,000 tonnes per 24 hours. Take empty barge to incoming tug, swap for full barge. Take full barge to laying crane barge plus loads of taxi jobs in between. Stone came from an island they demolished to supply stones for the Shamal breakwater that surrounds the  World island. Also did work on the trunk of the Deira Palm. 1 month on 1 month off. Really hard non stop high pressure work. I did find this pic on tinterweb if it’s any help.

Jerry C.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2020, 06:29:12 pm »

Better size  :-))

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2020, 08:20:22 pm »

We were too busy to take photos. Two crews on board, 12hours on 12off. Moving 10,000 tonne barges loaded with stones average 7 tonnes each. 60,000 tonnes per 24 hours. Take empty barge to incoming tug, swap for full barge. Take full barge to laying crane barge plus loads of taxi jobs in between. Stone came from an island they demolished to supply stones for the Shamal breakwater that surrounds the  World island. Also did work on the trunk of the Deira Palm. 1 month on 1 month off. Really hard non stop high pressure work. I did find this pic on tinterweb if it’s any help.

Jerry C.

Not at all surprised there was no time for photos. Even if there was, not many take photos of their “office”.

Thanks for the one you posted & to you Andy for the others.

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2020, 03:55:47 am »

Well if you fancy a
2609 shoalbuster
Kit available here

http://www.modellbau-sievers.de/

chum444

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2020, 01:07:06 pm »

Well if you fancy a
2609 shoalbuster
Kit available here

http://www.modellbau-sievers.de/

Thank you but my interest was in seeing photos of operations and hearing about experiences of crew. Rather full slate of future builds.

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2020, 07:57:20 pm »

Well you went to the same place as me for the Kort's system and they have served me well Ant , and very easy to set up if you take your time and fit the Kort's first and then line up the prop shafts inside the kort as you align the prop-shafts / engine mounts .
I lined my Korts with some plastic card to centre the prop in ........worked very well indeed .

npomeroy

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2020, 08:17:26 am »

Looking at the out-of-water image up there, it looks like the hull is a series of "flat" curved sheets.  I'm looking to build a 1:32 Damen 1907 and the image in this document of the aft area under construction also shows "flat" sheet.
https://products.damen.com/-/media/Products/Images/Clusters-groups/Tugs/Stan-Tugs/Stan-Tug-1907/Documents/executive_summary_stan_tug_1907_damen.pdf

It will be my first boat build (but I've done other modelling). Do you think 1 - 2mm plywood or styrene would be a good way to build this hull?  I guess the downside compared to cast GRP is the space taken up by the internal ribbing.

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2020, 09:11:14 am »

wouldn't like to comment on that as mine was a FG hull that I adapted but yes the ribs would be an issue to allow for
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.