Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sirmar  (Read 5936 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Sirmar
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:27:12 pm »

Hate to bring it up again but is Barry really still trading?  My other half has been trying to get a reply from him for five weeks.
I know the tales that he works full time and is sometimes out of country, but in this day and age its not to hard to reply to your customer, is it?
I will finish this model

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
Re: Sirmar
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 08:02:51 pm »

If you have had no reply after trying to contact him for over 5 weeks I would regrettably say move on, Unless off course you have paid for something..  <:( 

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 10:54:21 am »

Rob,

I had email contact with Barry, maybe about twelve months ago, to enquire about his trading status. He got back to me saying he was still in business, but made the same statements about having a full-time job etc. I didn't work up the courage to risk placing an order, given that I have seen several comments around, similar to yours regarding lack of contact. My advice would be to give up the 'ghost'.

If Barry is serious about his business, I would have thought he would monitor this Forum also. So if you are reading this Barry, this is your opportunity to reply.

It is a shame, because his predecessor, Paul Beaver I believe, had outstanding Service and Product.

Nige   

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 05:19:51 pm »

Just an update on Sirmar and as the saying goes, "credit where due" the other half found best way of contact was text, placed order two weeks ago, Barry came straight back with cost. Last text to say parts are ready.  So pleased with the result.

Bob
I will finish this model

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2017, 05:34:11 pm »

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 01:48:13 am »

That is good News, keep us posted on your order delivery status........might give Barry a go if all is good.

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 10:22:22 am »

That is good News, keep us posted on your order delivery status........might give Barry a go if all is good.
Going in post 1st class Monday, will keep you up to date

I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »

Parts arrived on time for her, fairly good quality, but then came the rub, she had asked for R.B.O.C launcher but got CORVUS <*< , contacted barry, who apologised and promised to get new parts out by w/e and could we send unwanted parts back, this duly done, txt on Sunday cant make the parts as he cant find the mould so refund on the way. 

Make what you want of it.

Bob
I will finish this model

rsm

• Full Mayhemer
Roger

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 01:28:53 pm »

yep rather good and they do it in 1/72, will pass that on, many thanks

Bob
I will finish this model

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2017, 07:18:53 pm »

It is a shame, because his predecessor, Paul Beaver I believe, had outstanding Service and Products

Just a nudge!!!........Sirmar was originally owned and ran by Paul Beckley and his outstanding family network, Paul sadly passed away some time ago. I had the pleasure of meeting Paul when I went to his 'workshop' above a shop in Stourbridge to pick up a 1/96 Glamorgan hull and fittings etc, he picked me up from the local station in his beat up old pale blue Ford Sierra, spent a day with him and his better half and numerous cuppa's. A top bloke and happy memories. Those were the days!...........its a shame that the internet has let us loose that personal touch but I'm also grateful for the internet for giving us this forum and tons of research material.
Paul Beaver if I remember rightly is a naval historian and author I think!

Cheers, Dave
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

littoralcombat

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2017, 07:56:26 pm »

Oops! {:-{  Thanks Dave, and apologies to Pauls Family & Friends for my error.
Nige

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2017, 11:08:24 pm »

Parts arrived on time for her, fairly good quality, but then came the rub, she had asked for R.B.O.C launcher but got CORVUS <*< , contacted barry, who apologised and promised to get new parts out by w/e and could we send unwanted parts back, this duly done, txt on Sunday cant make the parts as he cant find the mould so refund on the way. 

Make what you want of it.

Bob
To me that is just a pain in the rectum, if you order a Ford and got a Honda, then having to send the Honda back for a refund because they couldn't find the parts to build a Ford and then go back to square one to find a Ford then that sort of thing would hit the headlines and business would be no more. I know its on a different scale but business is business and if you're in business and want to remain so then getting it right first time and satisfying your customer base so that they keep coming back is the crux of any business. Fortunately for us. we in our hobby have some great customer focussed business people out there and those who aren't simply fall off the mizzen!.........its literally a case of shape up or ship out!!
And as an also, my full time job keeps me busy enough, so busy that I rarely get time to build a model, let alone run a business on the back of it, sometimes something has to give.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2017, 06:11:00 pm »

Oops! {:-{  Thanks Dave, and apologies to Pauls Family & Friends for my error.
Nige

No worries Nige, easy mistake to make. Paul Beckley was a real gent and craftsman and sorely missed in our world of model miniatures. I once asked him how he started to build model ships, apparently if my memory serves me correctly, he started by crafting the ships that they displayed in RN careers office and travel agents windows (one of the same, one you get paid to travel the other you pay to travel!).......he then thought about selling the fittings etc to model boat clubs and the like and rest is, as they say, history!

Cheers, Dave

Sir Albert

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2020, 07:53:47 pm »

I contacted Barry via e-mail around 6 weeks ago and to be fair he responded within hours and has kept in regular contact since, I was having problems with the rear breakwater and consoles for the interior of the bridge, hes managed to make them for me with his 3-D printer.  The result was quite impressive, He only charged 25 quid for the lot, that's 2 breakwaters, consoles, the raised railed section (for loading sea dart) and extra WT Doors & lockers etc.

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.