Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Andy's 18.5cm tug build  (Read 8478 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Tiny tug from a car.... My new project
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 09:26:13 pm »

Work on the tug has been stopped for a while till I can figure out how to run my 3.7v motor from a 7.4v controller. I was thinking of adding another 3.7v motor in series with the tug motor, which should do it, but I would need to tuck it well out of the way to save rubbing any wires. I thought my speed control worked at 3.7v but it doesnt. I will give the extra motor a try, should do the trick.

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2020, 08:47:31 am »

Bonjour Andy,
Why would not you add a voltage converter which drops voltage to 5 V (I saw on Amazone or Bangood) then a resistance (U = RI) to reach 3,7 V ?
Ewample : https://www.banggood.com/2A-4-36V-to-3_3V5V6V9V12V-Converter-Step-Down-Voltage-Regulator-Power-Module-p-1364307.html?rmmds=search&ID=519697&cur_warehouse=CN
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 12:14:40 pm »

Hi, thanks for the suggestion, I will probably just use another small motor as I have these already and my budget is low at the moment. Many thanks anyway, Andy.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2020, 05:30:22 pm »

Wired up my motors and tested my radio setup. Video here
https://youtu.be/e90jPlOtf9Q

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2020, 12:24:26 am »

Now I have my steering and motor tested, I have glued my lower deck/coaming assembly in place and sanded the deck edges flush. I have made a start on the bulwarks, I am glueing 1/32 balsa  triangular ribs to the ice cream tub material I am using, I have done the rear piece so far, will glue it on after I get the side bits done and glued in place. Pics show the tug beside a standard sized servo to show the size I am working at.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2020, 12:40:38 pm »

This is what you need Andy!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2020, 01:44:12 pm »

:-)  Hi Martin, hope you are well, your site is saving my sanity!
I wondered if you could change the title to 18.5cm tug build or something similar? The car isnt being used in any way any more. Went for 'proper' radio instead.

Theres actually quite a bit of space in there, for such a small boat. I should still manage some lighting as well, see how it goes. I will probably have to fit some ballast in there too. Nice little project, and suitable for bathtub or outside sailing. Also used up some of my balsa scraps, so all good. I probably have enough balsa scraps to build a six foot long version! Might come to that if we are locked down long enough. Anyway, I am hoping to get my bulwarks a bit further on today at some point, I have a few different projects on the go just now, including the garden........ Its a bit windy for the quads just now, so theres more building happening.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
18.5cm tug build or something similar...
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2020, 01:59:36 pm »

Topic Name changed on request!   {-)

( 18.5cm tug build or something similar...)
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: 18.5cm tug build or something similar...
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2020, 03:19:48 pm »

Lol.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Andy's 18.5cm tug build
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2020, 05:23:29 pm »

Renamed properly this time Andy!    ok2

rhavrane

• Full Mayhemer
  • Steam passionate collector
Re: Andy's 18.5cm tug build
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2020, 05:34:02 pm »

Bonjour Andy,
I hope you will install a micro servo in your tug  :}
Raphaël
Raphaëlopoulos Steam Lines UnLimited
Membre du Modele Yacht Club de Paris http://mycparis.fr/
Membre de l'Offshore Club de Paris : http://site-ocparis.wifeo.com/
My YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/rhavrane

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2020, 05:43:25 pm »

Walkera micro servo is already in there, the standard servo was just to show size of tug

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2020, 05:44:34 pm »

Thanks Martin.  :-))

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2020, 10:25:45 pm »

Some bulwarks, I decided not to put drain holes, I would rather keep the water out in the first place. At this scale I didnt think surface tension would let water drain out of a 1.5mm x 3mm slot.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2020, 10:40:29 am »

Fitted the rest of my bulwark ribs and a coat of varnish on them and the decks then a coat of yellow base on the outside of hull.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2020, 12:13:56 pm »

A small disaster
 Having painted another coat of yellow on the upper hull, I sat it near my stove to let the warm air dry the paint a bit quicker........ a bit too close as it turned out. I think I was lucky I decided to move it outside when I did. Ah well, new bulwarks required on one side, bit of a pain because everything in this area has been varnished or painted so not so good for glueing. Even if I just cut off the damaged bits, it will still be hard to get the new bit to blend in nicely. I could have done without this happening, it was progressing nicely, if a bit slow. I need to wait till the fresh coat of yellow is totally dry before I can have a go at fixing it. At least I will have time to calm down, I am annoyed at having made such a stupid mistake. Wont be doing that again.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2020, 05:48:35 pm »

I have removed the melted area to see how I am going to repair the damage. It should repair ok, blending in the repairs will be the difficult bit, I used superglue, so there are some bits of plastic securely attached to the hull. Hope to get some new bulwarks started tonight.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2020, 12:23:04 pm »

Repairs under way, new bulwark and some new ribs. Hope to blend them in nice enough to not notice the repairs.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2020, 12:13:17 pm »

Close enough to what it was like before the meltdown. Bit of tidying up to do then varnish the inside surface, I made up a few new ribs, so these need sealing.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2020, 06:07:49 pm »

While I have been building this little tug, I have been trying to think of a paint scheme, I had intended the yellow to be a base coat, as I had a good amount of it left after a full size boat build. I have been trying to use it up but I still have quite a bit left. See photos. Lol.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2020, 05:03:11 pm »

Finished painting my hull a few days ago, so I figured the paint would be dry enough for a test. I added quite a lot of lead ballast to get it to sit on the waterline, its quite a solid feeling wee boat now, tipping the scales at 12 ounces with the superstructure unfinished. I will need to remove the radio gear again and try and get the lead arranged a bit better. There isnt a lot of room, I have a 2.5ah 7.4v pack inside but it was still floating high in the water, hence the lead. Testing was in a small basin but showed it was picking up speed ok, reverse wasn't as good as forward, but I pretty much expected that. Steering seemed pretty good. I reckon the 2.5ah battery should last a good few hours, maybe even a day or so, the motors are tiny, only one has a prop, and the other is just running in a corner inside the boat so I can run a 7.4v speed controller. I will get the superstructure construction back under way soon. I dont really know what to add in the way of deck fittings etc.
 Anybody seen a tug similar to this?
  I just made it up as I went along, but something similar to get ideas from would be handy.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2020, 10:19:38 pm »

I got a chance to river test it, it needs a bigger prop, the motor screams, no idea what rpm, but its a lot. Its definately my slowest boat so far! But it is supposed to be 1/72 so wouldnt expect it to look quick. It was making its way upstream slowly but surely. Fairly slow river just now though.
Maiden voyage video here, turn your volume down a bit
https://youtu.be/Gnx7_bs_b_E

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2020, 09:03:31 am »

You could definitely do with a little more performance but she sits on the water nicely and looks the part.

What are you going to use now that your favourite WLToys V262 seems to be unavailable?

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2020, 09:16:39 am »

Can you explain why two motors needed?, is it not possible to run one motor on a receiver? would one motor burn out? could the tug have been built with two props instead. Just interest to know the concept as I have no experience with these types of running gear, though intrigued with the scale of them, i.e. useful for 1/72 small boats
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2020, 11:19:01 am »

That struck me as odd as well. Having 2 motors where one is loaded with a propeller and the other has no load seems a very strange solution to a any problem.

I can only assume that Andy sees it as an answer to some sort of voltage problem although the original quadracopter was 2s which is what the tug is running.

Most micro models run with one motor. prop, esc etc. on either 1S or 2S.   

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.