Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: model boat clubs near bristol  (Read 1984 times)

Dan2010

• Full Mayhemer
  • time to sail the world and the 7 sea's
model boat clubs near bristol
« on: March 28, 2020, 01:13:18 pm »

afternoon everyone, hope everyone is surviving isolation, just wondering if anyone knew of any boat clubs near to Bristol. southwest UK
i was a member of yate and sodbury but the club shut around 2 years ago, i then went to cheddar but its about a 50 mile round trip for me so was hoping to find somewhere closer..
whilst not being a member of a club vie had to use the lake at portishead, i know there is a club there, believe it to be called something like woodsprings? they only seem to do sail or I/E racing boats, and im more scale... any help would be appreciated

many thanks

danny
happy boating :D

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
Re: model boat clubs near bristol
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2020, 07:32:42 pm »

Hi Danny Well woodspring club have no control of the lake so feel free to use anytime (Bar present crisis)
 There are quite a few non members  like myself who use it regular  we even tolerate club members :((
There  is also this lot they have some scale

http://www.clevedonanddistrictmodelboatclub.co.uk/

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 09:51:17 am »

Hi I have sailed there afew times some 5 years back and the guys I met were all very pleasant to chat with.  Of course if you have a boat with you it is a better conversation!  Always seemed to be a nice wind blowing off the sea but occasionally the water level was a bit low, not shallow, just abit furthere away!
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:49:43 pm »

Not this year  Roy regularly over the path. In one  big storm   not  recent ones its been  over the tennis court.UP and around the cafe at the Kids end and up to almost the bowling green .Of course we do have the second highest tide on the planet here

rob

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:01 pm »

How about Shepton Drifters ?
Meet in the park at Shepton Mallet
in my own little world

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 01:25:25 pm »

Hi Jaymac, I seriously considered buying one of those houses that overlook Portishead lake maybe 16 years back now.  Then they shot up in price, but what a nice place to be, just look out the window to see if there were any sailors out there.

I mainly took sailing boats plus another for my mate who then lived in Long Ashton where we would stay.  He sadly passed away last year.

If anyone remembers the Graupner kit Libera Ocean I had built it for IMB magazine and met Chris Jackson (then editor) down there so he could sail it.  It went well enough for me but the IOM guys said it needed setting up!
Always thought it one of the more idyllic places to sail.
regards
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 03:19:14 pm »

Hi Roy  Aye the lake  grounds are grand  some spoilers though  they are  getting a skateboard park now fortunately along at the boathouse end. Also the free parking is  going Yuk!. I live up on the hill  was only couple of hundred yards from where Portishead Radio station used to be  any merchantmen should know of  that one. Did you check out the merchant seamen memorial when you were there  it was just  5mins away up behind the swimming pool and of course  just next door to the lake is the Marina plenty 1/1 scale there.
cheers

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 04:17:36 pm »

Hi Jaymark, yes I did see the memorial as the ladies used to join us later and we would go for a walk around the swimming pool.  I would not worry about the skate park there are certain to be a few curious young people checking out the model boats, might even get someone interested.  Shame about the parking though.

regards
Roy

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 22 queries.