Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: ModelBoats Magazine  (Read 35409 times)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: ModelBoats Magazine
« Reply #100 on: April 11, 2020, 07:52:53 am »

I wonder where I can find a copy for sale, in Peterborough, during Lockdown?!
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #101 on: April 11, 2020, 08:12:59 am »

If you have a large Tesco they might have it, obviously only if you are going there to get essential items as well.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #102 on: April 11, 2020, 08:13:33 am »

Shock horror!! Martin doesn't subscribe.

I'll let you have mine Martin as I've read it already. You can click and collect.  :} :} :} :} :} :} :}
Don't Assume Check

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #103 on: April 11, 2020, 08:13:38 am »

Martin,

Seems like Tesco except that the stores around here don't have it.

As an aside we all know that Model Boats have a forum/ website that is obviously linked to the magazine. It also has articles etc. For many years I have saved things to my computer and I now have a library on most topics that interest me. It meant that the Photobucket mess did not affect me as much as it did others. I have copied the stuff that interested me from both here and the Model Boats website.

It only takes a push of a button to delete a website (guess!). If a magazine ceased to be published permanently why would you keep it's web site and all that available information? 

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #104 on: April 11, 2020, 11:53:31 am »

Large Sainsburys stock Model Boats along with RCM&E.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #105 on: April 11, 2020, 12:00:11 pm »

I bought my first Model Boats in a Sainsburys.
Pond weed is your enemy

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #106 on: April 11, 2020, 01:41:17 pm »

Martin,

Seems like Tesco except that the stores around here don't have it.

As an aside we all know that Model Boats have a forum/ website that is obviously linked to the magazine. It also has articles etc. For many years I have saved things to my computer and I now have a library on most topics that interest me. It meant that the Photobucket mess did not affect me as much as it did others. I have copied the stuff that interested me from both here and the Model Boats website.

It only takes a push of a button to delete a website (guess!). If a magazine ceased to be published permanently why would you keep it's web site and all that available information?

Yes, I've copied my build blogs off for that reason.  :(( Hopefully it doesn't happen but it's always very sad when a forum closes and years and years of posts and information is lost.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #107 on: April 11, 2020, 02:03:53 pm »

This is the big weakness of the Internet. With printed material it will survive almost indefinitely if only because, by law, the British Library and another institution are obliged to be given copies quite apart from the various issues that get collected by individuals,

Stuff on the Internet is ephemeral and can indeed vanish totally in a flash. (except of course for all those embarrassing photos of yourself on social media that you wish had never been taken.)

Colin

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #108 on: April 11, 2020, 04:57:27 pm »

Simple - back it up.

Most of my magazines have been disposed of over the years- simply don't have the space to store them.

Every issue of model boats and modelmaker magazine could be stored on a single usb stick in electronic format.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2020, 03:57:17 pm »

(And why, oh why, do WH Smith tolerate the "I'll read the interesting bits here then decide if I'm going to buy it - but probably not!" attitude?   >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< )
Because you'd have to station a member of staff permanently on that section to move them on, probably with violence. As the staff who lost their jobs at Ian Allen in Birmingham discovered, many of these were very unpleasant people more concerned that they would lose a nice warm place to loiter and shop-soil the books, than the people losing their jobs.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #110 on: April 12, 2020, 04:02:43 pm »

They do so because it brings people into the shop who may purchase something, which to them, is more useful and gives the shop more profit. Anyway, I’ve be doing it for the best part of sixty years now so I’m hardly likely to stop now am I? Neither would I part with 5+ golden drinking tokens when I can get more and better info on the net. Chaps, MB has had its day so for heaven’s sake, let it depart in peace.
So, essentially you've been freeloading for 60 years? Presumably you still expected to be paid for your job assuming you ever had one. Why? You don't expect others to be paid for theirs.

(And I know I'm feeding the troll. Someone with only 4 posts here is hardly likely to be an expert in what's online for model boats)
Our only magazine has only "had it's day" if boat modellers don't want it to survive. I would hope they don't because I'm inclined to suggest it would show just how the hobby is retreating into obscurity. Of course, if that's what people want that's fine. Just don't moan when it's all over.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #111 on: April 12, 2020, 05:31:13 pm »

So, essentially you've been freeloading for 60 years? Presumably you still expected to be paid for your job assuming you ever had one. Why? You don't expect others to be paid for theirs.

(And I know I'm feeding the troll. Someone with only 4 posts here is hardly likely to be an expert in what's online for model boats)
Our only magazine has only "had it's day" if boat modellers don't want it to survive. I would hope they don't because I'm inclined to suggest it would show just how the hobby is retreating into obscurity. Of course, if that's what people want that's fine. Just don't moan when it's all over.

Not taking sides but Liverbudgie2 was originally Liverbudgie, and  joined in 2006 with over 1400 posts, be came LB2 when he could not access original Monica. Mine says 2012 but was actually before that but a lot of us were reset after a Mayhem Meltdown so LB may have been a member long before that .  8) 8)

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: April 12, 2020, 06:22:35 pm »

Not taking sides but Liverbudgie2 was originally Liverbudgie, and  joined in 2006 with over 1400 posts, be came LB2 when he could not access original Monica. Mine says 2012 but was actually before that but a lot of us were reset after a Mayhem Meltdown so LB may have been a member long before that .  8) 8)

[/quote
Liverbudgie is a bit of a dark horse, if I have my facts right
%% %% [/size][/color]
several books under his belt and a good few articles in Model Boats and an awful lot of photographs.  He knows a good bit about modelling and ships etc.
[/size][/color]
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #113 on: April 12, 2020, 06:29:47 pm »

Thank you.

FOI: I freelanced for MB and occasionally MMI, for over thirty years covering such events as the ME, Windermere, MPBA nationals etc; I also covered the International Festival of  the Sea events at Bristol, Leith and of course Portsmouth. Other pieces I did included Kit and book reviews. Since my services have been dispensed with I have tried concentrating on my own projects and restoring and maintaining my classic TR6 and Jaguar XJS.

LB

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: April 12, 2020, 07:00:51 pm »

you know reading doom and gloom topics like this about a magazine, I must admit I enjoy reading, it reminds me of not so long ago before the Mayhem meltdown, there was a topic on here about whether the Royal Navy would ever have 2 super carriers, with new supersonic jump jets and all the experts on here said Nay that will never happen it was all pie in the sky . the expert doomsters :-) as it turns out - because if I am not mistaken there are 2 big aircraft carriers floating around owned by the Royal Navy and they aint dreams.   So, before we try and predict the future, we will have to wait and see bout the magazine.  There will be an awful lot of changes around when we have come out of this setback.  Let us go forward positively,.
Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #115 on: April 12, 2020, 07:04:14 pm »

Hi W E John (s) are you a dark horse?  Just thinking of Biggles!
Roy

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2020, 10:52:04 am »

FOI: I freelanced for MB and occasionally MMI, for over thirty years covering such events as the ME, Windermere, MPBA nationals etc; I also covered the International Festival of  the Sea events at Bristol, Leith and of course Portsmouth. Other pieces I did included Kit and book reviews. Since my services have been dispensed with I have tried concentrating on my own projects and restoring and maintaining my classic TR6 and Jaguar XJS.
So, let me get this straight - you were happy to be paid by MB but encourage people to flick through the magazine and not buy a copy? Where do you think the money in your pocket came from? Does "Since my services have been dispensed with" colour your view?

If I'm being sensitive about this, it's because I've freelanced and think people who do good work deserve to be paid for it.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2020, 11:32:48 am »

As someone who hs also contributed to the magazine since the 1970s and edited a number of special issues I also think the people who use W H Smih as a library should be cut off at the knees.  <*<

Colin

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2020, 11:37:59 am »

The text below is the content of an Email being sent out to all subscribers by this evening. Please note that if you wish to contact MTM there is nobody available today (Easter Monday) so leave it until tomorrow.

Colin

I hope that you and your family are staying safe and well.

Due to the unfolding situation with Coronavirus (COVID-19) and the closure of most WH Smith stores, newsagents and other stores, we're writing to let you know that we are going to pause production of the magazine from the current edition.

For many years, our mission has been to provide the best quality editorial to our valued readers – and rest assured, we are committed to try and get through this very difficult time for the country, and world at large.

You do not need do anything and we still be fulfilling entitlements in the future. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and communicate with you further as and when we’re able to restore business as usual.

For this period, we are extending to you free access for the foreseeable future to the digital archive containing back issues of your magazine. These issues are available to read whilst connected to the internet. We will continue this until we can be confident that our supply chain has returned to normal.

To activate your archive access (should you do not already have access) please visit https://www.modelboats.co.uk/archive and follow the steps.

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2020, 11:46:03 am »

For this period, we are extending to you free access for the foreseeable future to the digital archive containing back issues of your magazine. These issues are available to read whilst connected to the internet. We will continue this until we can be confident that our supply chain has returned to normal.

To activate your archive access (should you do not already have access) please visit https://www.modelboats.co.uk/archive and follow the steps.

This highlights one of the development digital issues offer - the subscription model allows us to offer all the back numbers. Warners does the same (you can watch a video explanation and demo here) and it's popular. You certainly end up with no shortage of reading, and allied to a good search engine, as your interests change, you'll be able to keep looking. The model isn't so different from that for TV and even music. Maybe it is the future?

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2020, 12:08:17 pm »

It would have been more courteous to have included ( Should any member wish to unsubscribe  details) instead of
a condescending You do not need do anything and we still be fulfilling entitlements in the future. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and communicate with you further as and when we’re able to restore business as usual. Which is more like we have your money so tough. This is only a business so  no sentiment about how long etc., Oh and I subscribe and at present have no intention of  ceasing to.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2020, 12:12:16 pm »

Hi please excuse my ignorance here but does the current situation stop a digital edition being produced? 

Many of the advertisers are still doing business and it would probably be popular with them to have the exposure.
Not sure how that would affect paper only subscribers (I am one) but I am going to go digital for a model railway magazine and cancel my paper one.

regards
Roy

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2020, 12:36:53 pm »

Hi please excuse my ignorance here but does the current situation stop a digital edition being produced?

Unfortunately yes it does as things stand at the moment, loss of the newstrade and print copy income (a lot of readers are not actually online) means insufficient income to cover the costs of the editor, designer, payments to contributors and other fixed costs plus a reduced readership means that advertising fees would be lower. The sums don't add up.

That is not to say that a digital edition couldn't be launched if MB doesn't resume as a printed mgazine but the business model would need to be rather different and the format would also need to be changed. It might not be commercially attractive to a conventional publishing company like MTM.

At the moment MTM publish a print magazine which is made available digitally. An entirely digital magazine would be a rather different animal.

Colin

SJG001

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2020, 12:43:45 pm »

Roy

I am taking it to mean that the magazine is going to be digital only for the foreseeable future.

Which could also mean when this situation is over it will remain digital only - I am cutting my losses now as my experience with digital only publications has not been good. It was also nice to have something paper to read in hotels when you have been staring at screens all day for work.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2020, 12:48:25 pm »

I am taking it to mean that the magazine is going to be digital only for the foreseeable future.

No, that is not correct at all if you read the statement and my last post. There are no further issues being produced at all in the immedate future but existing subscribers are now being given access to the back issues (digital archive) going back to 2008 which the terms of their current subscription might not have given them access to. A sort of consolation prize if you like!

Colin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 21 queries.