Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: ModelBoats Magazine  (Read 35511 times)

RST

Re: ModelBoats Magazine
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2020, 09:54:37 pm »

Never seen a Model Boats Mag in Tesco
...I get mine each month from Culloden Tesco, regular as clokwork.  We're in the same town.  WH smiths always has one as well -but I've always got one by the chance I make it to John Menzies. anyway.
I've never seen a copy of Model boats in any supermarket, John Menzies/WH smith or any other vendor regardless -anywhere apart from mt local Tesco in Invernes (guaranteed), WH Smiths Inverness -iffy.  Never seen a copy enywhere else!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
  • Build em, and play hard..
  • Location: Everywhere, But Nowhere !! But mainly in England....
    • Runcorn & District Scale Model Boats
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2020, 11:15:44 pm »

I agree- can we stop speculating and talking about what potentially could/would/can/won’t happen.
Until we get an official announcement can we stop please. It doesn’t help anyone and just upsets people- we don’t know what is actually going on behind the scenes and until we do leave it alone.

Not sure this is really speculation as it came from the Editor.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3570349-Model-Boats-magazine-%C2%93On-Hold%C2%94

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2020, 11:21:42 pm »

The delay/on-hold bit yes- everything after that point is speculation. We have nothing to say that the magazine will not continue or that the editor has been dismissed. Until we get an official announcement it’s speculation and adds nothing to what is really happening.
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2020, 11:24:28 pm »

Ok.

RST

« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2020, 11:53:07 pm »

Not sure this is really speculation as it came from the Editor.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3570349-Model-Boats-magazine-%C2%93On-Hold%C2%94

I pointed out way before RC groups is a predomainntly US forum.  We should all look at it becacuse it's very interesting but mr editor doesn't make it obvious there, here, there or nither who he is or any intentions  after

This whole thing is an absolute Joke!  Modelboats Mag, their forum and this one are very importat to both.  There should be a more formal plain english -no facefarce.  notice made we all know whats happening.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2020, 08:21:47 am »

Hi all, I know that any magazine you like to name has excellent issues and maybe some not so interesting to you.  To have a regular expectation of a magazine to read you have to make a similar committment i.e. take out a subscription.  I read the editorial and clearly the publishers are allocating less money to the magazine.

The subscrition ensures that the publishers get all of the money.  I think Colin has mentioned elsewhere that the high street outlets charge for having a magazine on their shelves which reflects on how financially viable the magazine is.
The Model Boats magazine is the only one we have, it would be more than sad to lose it.  I wonder if it might be possible for the present to still produce the magazine on line only?  As most magazines are almost home publishing now it seems to be a way of staying around and being within government guidelines.  I believe that the government will pay 80% of salaries to keep employees employed?

I have all the Model Boat issues stored away and most of Model Maker magazines as well, and occasionally take a single year's issue and have a quiet read, and we all have a lot of time for that at the moment!  I also am a long time subscriber which nicely guarantees I get my regular monthly magazine.

Sometimes you have to put your money where your mouth is (without wishing to upset anybody).  We are going through trying times and it would be a great shame to find Model Boats had fallen by the wayside.
I suggest that if you buy the magazine in the high street without opening it then take out a subscription.  There are always going to be the ones who use WH Smith as a reading room and buy only if they have to.
Being active model boat builders we all have fairly strong personalities, we would never survive otherwise having such a niche interest!  The opinions posted on this forum are testament to this.
If you do not actively support what you like or have then it will vanish.  Model Boats magazine Forum already knows this from the demise of their original Forum which was as active as Modelboatmayhem is now. 
When the original MB forum was taken over by new publishers and ignored I personally pleaded to keep it going as many others may have done as well.  I did have a contact via our late club Chairman whose son was the graphic designer for the MB magazine.  But to no avail, he implied they were just not interested in the running of it. 

Although now resurrected it is a pale shadow of what it once was. But then MBM is here now probably because of this and as an aside if you like this forum then slip Martin a few quid to keep it all viable.

I see from the MB web site that the May edition is there to read, my copy has not arrived yet (?).  No advertisers mentioned and many of them must rely on the magazine to keep their on-line businesses going.
Much is speculation at the moment just decide for yourself what you want and what you want to still be there when we get back to a virus free situation.  I hesitate to use the word 'normal' as many might well say the old normal was lacking in several respects.

regards to all,

Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2020, 09:00:39 am »

...................................The subscription ensures that the publishers get all of the money.  I think Colin has mentioned elsewhere that the high street outlets charge for having a magazine on their shelves which reflects on how financially viable the magazine is....................................

It might be speculation but that is the stuff of life so I wonder about the economics of magazine delivery.

Roy suggests that a subscription gives all the money to the publisher but it doesn't. Somebody has to individually package the magazine and pay the (expensive) postage to get it delivered. This has to be compared to the cost of a bulk delivery to a shop and the retail margin. I don't know how they compare.

The only way to get all the money to the publisher is a direct digital subscription but not many (older??) readers would choose to get their magazine that way despite the book industry finding Kindle a valuable distribution method. Model Boats is available on Kindle from Amazon for £4.49 but then some money is kept by Amazon............

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2020, 09:59:49 am »

Hi Tug...  I think Colin knows the financial side but I seem to remember that the High street retailers may well want 30% or more of cover price to stock the magazine.  I would also suggest the subscription and distribution service is bundled together by the publisher so quite effective / efficient.  If you ring subscription department you have to say which magazine you are interested in.  I remember that Colin also pushed for having a subscription as well. 

I am pretty sure you will find that putting magazines in a bag and addressing them is very much automated now.
The last time I rang, a couple of years ago now, I was offered the digital version as an addition to the print for just £5 per year, but it must have been a limited offer only as after a year I was not debited for the digital edition.  With the printed edition you do get the free plans which I usually enjoy looking at and considering there is a flat minimum charge of £12.50 for ordered printed plans that is quite a good buy all in all.

I do not know about national magazine delivery but I was heavily involved in our own society gazette and the economics of producing a printed gazette.  With a slightly dwindling membership we had to restrict our gazette to on-line only.  This does seem to be working. 

As an octogenarian myself many of us are quite happy with modern technology.  An advantage of reading on-line is that you can magnify the printed page up to suit comfortable reading.  I prefer the printed version as I then get free plans etc and I do build from them.  Because of the low take up of buying plans MB passed the enterprise on to Traplet and now it is with Sarik.
But surely a magazine's hard core are the subscibers who buy?  Martyn in his editorial said that the low visiting to high street retailers has potentially reduced the sales and clearly they do not want to operate at a loss.

The solution still seems to me to take out a subscription and increase the guaranteed sales of Model Boats magazine!
kind regards
Roy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2020, 10:12:19 am »

I have watched this topic gain momentum and no matter how we talk about it what will be will be. I for one would be very sad if this magazine disappears but after this virus has gone certain things in life will never be the same. It would seem technology will be brought to the fore even more so which may mean publications will be in digital format in the future. I personally like the paper copy and hope this continues but who knows what the future for many things will be. It would be nice to have the mag through these dark times but we have to keep positive and enjoy our hobby. Please note my thoughts on this matter.

Stan 

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2020, 10:35:26 am »

Hi Stan, I am not a believer in fate and what will be will be.  We can influence these things.  Your own post was a positive contribution which may tip a balance somewhere and make a difference. 
These days decisions  are taken with the object of making a profit, if we show the buyers are there then the magazine will continue.
Counting the Model Maker as a start MB must be very near to 70 years old and hopefully going strong, it has evolved and changed as does any product.

Best regards
Roy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #60 on: April 05, 2020, 12:42:51 pm »

Maybe  it needs a Model Railway team to run it no shortage of their Mags . Bear in mind when it had competition I'm sure a lot  Opened the mags  before choosing one or t'other then when the other one sank  it became no competition. As for People who open mags first  MB in fairness prints previews of coming issue so whats the difference.

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #61 on: April 05, 2020, 12:54:58 pm »

Hi Jaymac I think you may be overlooking the enormous advertising revenue that must come in to fund having maybe 3+ guys producing a model railway magazine.  I have (on subscription) BRM which I enjoy and we share one of their contributors, his boaty side, on this forum.  Also there is so much stuff that you buy ready made, and from what I have seen they seem to have very deep pockets compared to the average boat modeller.

regards
Roy

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #62 on: April 05, 2020, 01:13:17 pm »

You're all just clutching at straws, I'm afraid.
I believe the magazine's fate was decided at the time that Paul Freshney retired. With all credit and due respect to Graham Ashby - whose brief term as editor was ended when he was yanked back to RCM&E - it has been in a managed decline ever since and this crisis has been an opportunity for its owner to put it out of its misery. He is a businessman and not a modeller or a philanthropist. Shame but it happens.
DM

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #63 on: April 05, 2020, 01:33:10 pm »

The delay/on-hold bit yes- everything after that point is speculation. We have nothing to say that the magazine will not continue or that the editor has been dismissed. Until we get an official announcement it’s speculation and adds nothing to what is really happening.

Good idea. I like the cut of Martyn's jib. When he was editor of Military Modelling (RIP  <:( <:( <:( <:( <:( ) He really perked that magazine up (building on his predecessor's work in that vein) like he has with Model Boats. I wish him well in what ever situation occurs.
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #64 on: April 05, 2020, 01:35:42 pm »

I think you’re being extremely pessimistic Mr M!
In my opinion the magazine has got a lot more interesting to read in the last year. There is a good mix of articles to choose to read in each issue so it really does cater for all.
Considering that Martyn Chorlton isn’t originally a model boater I think he has done a good job, he is the most enthusiastic person on the subject and always attends as many shows and events as possible.
I was told subscriptions had increased in the last 18 months, yes guaranteed that’s due to the collapse of MMI but changing the magazine to be an all inclusive magazine including plastic static model kits has certainly made it a better magazine. To simply throw it away can’t be in the best interest of the publishers- they have the market in this country for a model boats magazine.
We should support our only magazine and show to the publishers that we do care and will fight for it. :-))
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #65 on: April 05, 2020, 01:54:45 pm »

Amen.
Pond weed is your enemy

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2020, 02:22:19 pm »

I have subscribed both to ModelBoats Magazine and the German magazine ‚Modellwerft‘. I like MB best and honestly hope it will survive. One can feel the enthusiasm of the editor and it covers a wide variety of topics.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2020, 05:23:30 pm »

I don't purchase magazines at all now. Communication has radically shifted with the internet, but has accelerated with high quality media content via videos, high resolution photos etc. Crucially it is also far more interactive.

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2020, 06:21:14 pm »

but changing the magazine to be an all inclusive magazine including plastic static model kits has certainly made it a better magazine.
We should support our only magazine and show to the publishers that we do care and will fight for it. :-))

Sorry I disagree, the Plastic Static Model kits have their own mag don't they ?  If the are made RC then that is fine,  in my Opinion.

I'm with Mr M on this.

Just to note I will support it if it stays as a printed copy but not interested if made only digital, yes I have a digital copy now but more of an option than a necessity and to be honest I was going to drop the digital anyway.

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2020, 06:32:41 pm »

I'm not going to argue with you Longbuild as we do need to support magazines as they help the hobby.
But I will point out that other than a short stint in the 1990s the title of the magazine is Model Boats not RC Model Boats. There are many models included in the magazine that are not just radio control including the Nelson Navy wooden warship models.
Unfortunately, plastic model kits (like Tamiya, the old Airfix examples, Trumpeter, etc) are in an even smaller minority in the dedicated plastic kit magazines- I always have a look through magazines like Scale Military Modelling International, Tamiya Models Monthly, etc, and you can probably count on one hand the amount of articles in one year in all these magazines that are actually dedicated to anything maritime. This is why I think having a section or some regular articles in Model Boats magazine isn't anything to be appalled at. After all its all model boating and some techniques are interchangeable. Its supposed to be for everyone interested in Model Boats. :-))
Nick B

TheLongBuild

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2020, 06:54:41 pm »

I'm not going to argue with you Longbuild as we do need to support magazines as they help the hobby.

Agree and was not my intention to start any arguments with anyone as I argue enough with my self!!  %%

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2020, 06:57:16 pm »

Agree and was not my intention to start any arguments with anyone as I argue enough with my self!!  %%

I know that feeling too, I often bang my head against the wall at work! {-) %% [size=78%] [/size]
Nick B

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2020, 07:58:04 pm »

As long as you don't bang your head on aircraft Nick. They are expensive  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2020, 08:03:30 pm »

Nah I can fix aircraft, they break themselves quicker than I can! %)
Nick B

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2020, 10:10:47 am »

Subscriptions

I have been informed by MyTimeMedia that they are working on  a communication to all subscribers which should be emailed by the end of this week.

I have asked for further clarification on what happens about taking out new subscriptions. If the magazine resumes publication then they would come into effect then, but at the moment there is no information should the suspension last indefinitely.

Colin
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.