Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: ModelBoats Magazine  (Read 35420 times)

raflaunches

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • The Penguins are coming!!!
Re: ModelBoats Magazine
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2020, 10:17:40 am »

Thank you Colin for the information regarding subscriptions.

Now let’s remain positive in the mean time and hopefully in a few months our magazine will return for us all to enjoy. :-))
Nick B

Help! The penguins have stolen my sanity, and my hot water bottle!

Illegitimi non carborundum!

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2020, 12:32:08 pm »

Subscriptions

.......................................I have asked for further clarification on what happens about taking out new subscriptions. If the magazine resumes publication then they would come into effect then, but at the moment there is no information should the suspension last indefinitely.

Colin

Accepting new subscriptions is one thing but taking monies from debit/credit cards is quite another until you have a product to sell. It will be interesting to hear what they are actually doing and what they are going to say.

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2020, 12:42:30 pm »

Surely they can't  take money from cards until you renew  its the direct debit  is on a limb  :}  The price for getting it cheaper

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2020, 02:21:32 pm »

Surely they can't  take money from cards until you renew  its the direct debit  is on a limb  :}  The price for getting it cheaper

I was really thinking of new subscriptions and credit/debit card transactions.

Direct Debits on renewals seem to be on a 3 month, 6 month or annual basis, with no reference to issues sent which would be difficult with 13 per year. I hope that they are not collecting them although I can imagine that it might just be an automatic process and instigated some time before the Direct Debit becomes due.. 

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2020, 04:30:05 pm »

Aye direct debit is the most iffy  I think on card you can get it back, depends on where the money is ie do TIMES  hold on to it and meter it out to MB as and when if so Times  gets the interest on my 12 issues .

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #80 on: April 07, 2020, 09:13:14 pm »

The gist I get from reliable sources is that a subscription now* and in the future will secure the magazine's survival because indeed the publishers will get more per magazine than through the newsagents.

It is counterintuitive especially if like me you try and support a local business. But with furloughs and closures of 'non essential' businesses, we cannot access our reading matter at small businesses (There probably are exceptions, there always are!)

If all goes well, Martyn will be back at the helm of our favourite and only Model Boat magazine in due course. If not, we will all have to put more builds and suchlike on this forum.

*Clear, secure and reliable electronic payments permitting.
Pond weed is your enemy

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2020, 11:36:49 am »

The harsh reality is that small circulation magazines rely heavily on subscriptions to keep then going. The amount received through sales on the news stand is a pittance, pennies per issue if you are lucky. While I appreciate that you would like to support the local newsagent, if keeping a model boating magazine on the shelf matters - subscribe. If you really want to support them, subscribe for the digital issue as it saves the costs of shipping paper around and is even more profitable.

The other important factor is advertising. If you buy something following an ad in the magazine, tell the person that's how you found them. This makes ad sales easier and reassures businesses that their money isn't being wasted.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #82 on: April 08, 2020, 12:40:12 pm »

I am thinking of getting a subscription when I know I have the funds and agree about mentioning where you saw the advert Phil.

Pond weed is your enemy

jaymac

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: April 08, 2020, 12:47:08 pm »

May issue arrived today :-)

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: April 08, 2020, 01:06:35 pm »

Mine too.Roy

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: April 08, 2020, 03:14:21 pm »

The harsh reality is that small circulation magazines rely heavily on subscriptions to keep then going. The amount received through sales on the news stand is a pittance, pennies per issue if you are lucky. While I appreciate that you would like to support the local newsagent, if keeping a model boating magazine on the shelf matters - subscribe. If you really want to support them, subscribe for the digital issue as it saves the costs of shipping paper around and is even more profitable.

The other important factor is advertising. If you buy something following an ad in the magazine, tell the person that's how you found them. This makes ad sales easier and reassures businesses that their money isn't being wasted.

As I understand that you are the editor of more than one magazine your opinions are interesting. I am a little surprised that you view newsagent sales less enthusiastically. If Smiths, for example, don't sell many copies they will remove the magazine from the stock lists of the stores that stock it. Model Boats is not available in all their stores now and could be removed from more/all. If that happens then surely it stops new readers from picking a copy up, thinking it worthwhile & subscribing? The magazine might make more money in the short term if everybody subscribed but longer term?????????????

phil_parker

• Full Mayhemer
    • Phil's Workbench
« Reply #86 on: April 08, 2020, 03:24:35 pm »

As I understand that you are the editor of more than one magazine your opinions are interesting. I am a little surprised that you view newsagent sales less enthusiastically. If Smiths, for example, don't sell many copies they will remove the magazine from the stock lists of the stores that stock it. Model Boats is not available in all their stores now and could be removed from more/all. If that happens then surely it stops new readers from picking a copy up, thinking it worthwhile & subscribing? The magazine might make more money in the short term if everybody subscribed but longer term?????????????
Only one magazine, but I work on others.

It's a balancing act far more nuanced than you make out. Yes, it's good to be on Smiths shelves, but they aren't the only place selling. In many ways, supermarkets are as, if not more, important. People don't tend to stand and read the entire mag then put the mangled copy back, and it's a small addition to the overall bill when chucked in a trolley.

There is also this thing called the Internet for discovering publications, hence the push via social media for all magazines.

There is a model for all this - the US and Canada. Neither have newsagents in the way we do, but they still sell magazines. A very small number appear on the shelves of a supermarket or drug store, but nothing like the selection we see even in a UK supermarket. Hobby mags still sell despite this.

Fortunately, all this isn't my problem. There are people paid far more than me negotiating with the distribution chain. However, if you look at the efforts made by every magazine to get subs, it tells you a lot about where the money is and those decisions are made bu people who really know the market. You might call it short term, but a magazine that has gone bust isn't on anyone's shelves.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #87 on: April 08, 2020, 03:30:38 pm »

I believe around 40% or a bit more of the cover price goes to W H Smith for the copies they stock. They have never sold MB at all their outlets, only the ones where they judge sales are likely to be made.

As both I and Phil have said, the whole sales operation is very nuanced in getting a balance between newstrade, print subscriptions and latterly digital subscriptions. If any one of those takes a big hit it puts the whole business model in danger.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: April 08, 2020, 04:04:28 pm »

Fair enough. I don't do social media so they can do as much as they want there & I won't see it. You also suggest Supermarkets but none of them around here, including the big 5, has stocked anything like Model Boats for as far back as I can remember.  Model Railway Magazines and RCM&E (occasionally) are as far as they go.

I am sure that there are people paid to sort this out but that doesn't stop some of their answers surprising me - but there again I live in the dark ages.

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #89 on: April 08, 2020, 04:49:10 pm »

This forum is a form of social media.

Mike S

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2020, 06:50:03 pm »

The latest issue of Model Boats (May 2020 Vol. 70 No. 835), thudded onto my doormat this morning. BTW the Posties in my neck of the woods (North London N2 / N3 / N12) are doing an outstanding job in the current difficult circumstances.

I am a long time subscriber, and only last month renewed my annual subscription, I have absolutely no intention of cancelling, I'll just wait and see how things pan out. Hopefully it won't be the last ever issue, and I intend to enjoy it this evening, accompanied by a large Horses' Neck.

Cheers everybody, and stay safe!

Mike.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #91 on: April 09, 2020, 02:28:51 pm »

Mine arrived this morning.  The editorial gives a clear outline of the situation along with a firm commitment to keep producing the magazine, albeit in a more constrained form.  It was also clear that a number of contributors (members here perchance?) have offered to keep providing copy even in the face of little or no recompense.  I think there is room for optimism, and I dearly hope we keep our hobby's only print mouthpiece.
(And why, oh why, do WH Smith tolerate the "I'll read the interesting bits here then decide if I'm going to buy it - but probably not!" attitude?   >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< )

Greg

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #92 on: April 09, 2020, 04:29:30 pm »

Greg
I think you'll find that the Editorial was written a while before the recent chapter of events began. I would strongly advise anyone who's considering a subscription to wait and see. As I've already said, it's not a brilliant idea to order and pay for goods which are out of stock and whose further availablility is unknown. That the seller in this case is still actively accepting orders and payment infers nothing. Good old Caveat Emptor strikes again!
Dave M

Liverbudgie2

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #93 on: April 09, 2020, 05:23:12 pm »

Mine arrived this morning.  The editorial gives a clear outline of the situation along with a firm commitment to keep producing the magazine, albeit in a more constrained form.  It was also clear that a number of contributors (members here perchance?) have offered to keep providing copy even in the face of little or no recompense.  I think there is room for optimism, and I dearly hope we keep our hobby's only print mouthpiece.
(And why, oh why, do WH Smith tolerate the "I'll read the interesting bits here then decide if I'm going to buy it - but probably not!" attitude?   >>:-( >>:-( <*< <*< )

Greg

They do so because it brings people into the shop who may purchase something, which to them, is more useful and gives the shop more profit. Anyway, I’ve be doing it for the best part of sixty years now so I’m hardly likely to stop now am I? Neither would I part with 5+ golden drinking tokens when I can get more and better info on the net. Chaps, MB has had its day so for heaven’s sake, let it depart in peace.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: April 09, 2020, 09:52:27 pm »

MB has had its day so for heaven’s sake, let it depart in peace.

That sounds like an epitaph as much for you as for the magazine Jon!  %)

Colin

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #95 on: April 09, 2020, 10:05:19 pm »

Still a lot of room for a printed magazine .... it's how do you make it profitable,  is always the question....  {:-{
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2020, 11:51:52 pm »

Got my copy from Tesco this afternoon, thanks, 4 copies left on the shelf after.  At the moment I don't handle things much except after a couple of days or can disinfect / wash or wipe down straight away so I'll have something to look forward to in a day or two.  On picking up I did find some kind of a brochure inside, which when I realised went back on the shelf without reading and shook the mag to make sure no more guff in there, it was better than littering on the store floor when they originally fell out.

Rich

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #97 on: April 11, 2020, 02:32:33 am »

.....  At the moment I don't handle things much except after a couple of days or can disinfect / wash or wipe down straight away so I'll have something to look forward to in a day or two. 

What are the coronavirus advice / rules for purchased or delivered items?   {:-{

Edit:  Found this - https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20200317-covid-19-how-long-does-the-coronavirus-last-on-surfaces

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

RST

« Reply #98 on: April 11, 2020, 03:14:13 am »

this for me..  I thought about 35 mins it was very clear.  Every bit you can do helps...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000h3nm/horizon-2020-coronavirus-special-part-1

canabus

• Full Mayhemer
  • Boats a hole in the water you pour money into!!!
« Reply #99 on: April 11, 2020, 05:14:34 am »

Feb MB arrived in the newsagent today Hobart Tasmania Australia !!!

Canabus
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 21 queries.