Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon PD 250e Lathe accessories and upgrades for beginner  (Read 32191 times)

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Proxxon PD 250e Lathe accessories and upgrades for beginner
« on: April 02, 2020, 07:03:23 pm »

I've had to do a fair bit of research and searching for proxxon and other brands in general regarding terminology and finding best priced accessories. So I thought I'd share my journey with others considering having a small lathe.
U tube is full of stuff on Chinese lathes and they can be a bit of a pig in a poke. Warco super mini is a great lathe if you can get one from Warco UK

I like my Proxxon tools but I was put off their lathes due to high price until I found a bargain at £548 delivered "as new" on Amazon. These are normally well over a thousand plus delivery but I did find Amazon again to be best at £794 delivered on Prime brand new but still too much for me.

Many extras that are not included make these a bit of a money pit and prices for individual items vary dramatically from seller to seller so I'm being very careful to make as much of a saving as possible.

As each of my buys arrive I will photograph and post the lowest price I found.

Meanwhile while I await delivery of the main event I've prepared a space and it's almost funny how little room it requires being only 570mm long.

I had some quartz worktop offcuts from fitting my kitchen and as you have to pay to dump them at the tip I kept them.

I cut out a base to bolt the lathe to and I had some great packing sheet from a delivery that I'm using as an anti vibration matt.

So this is it pending deliveries for the time being.

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proxxon PD 250e Lathe accessories and upgrades for beginner
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 07:14:50 pm »

Good luck with the new toy
A lot of the accessories can be made in the home shop and by doing so you gain experience and some of the tooling may not be available commercially
I made this travelling steady to make 20ft of 0.1 inch brass for a automata restoration. The idea come from the the late 1800s
So when is the milling machine arriving
Check the supplied book for levelling/winding the machine in
https://youtu.be/lT8nKHqRaFE

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 07:18:01 pm »

Thank you.
I already have the miller  :-))
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 07:22:08 pm »

OK then whens the steam boat build starting :-))
cheers

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 07:29:50 pm »

I recently (late last year) was after a small hobby lathe since I don’t have the space for a Myford ml7/10 anymore and looked at the Proxxon range... only the mid and top range versions were worth while investing in... that said I went eBay hunting and managed to pick up a unimat sl in original condition with a ton of extras that the Proxxon wouldn’t have had, I easily saved a 2-300 squid on a 2nd hand bargain... then just before Xmas I decided to strip it, change the bearings, sort the motor and a new paint job so it’s like new... works just as good as the Proxxon but it’s old tech so very little to go wrong! Anyway great purchase. They are great machines, especially with the mill.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 07:41:34 pm »

That looks class  :-))

Amazon just refunded my money and cancelled my order  >>:-(   Now there are two more German sellers offering the same but even cheaper. All very suspect.  I'll wait for another Amazon prime listing even though dearer  :((
ANDY

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 07:51:45 pm »

The rebuild for it can be found here...

https://www.thercmodelboatforum.com/t1945-unimat-sl1000-1970-lathe-restoration

I’ve also made up some custom parts for the machine using the machine, including head and tail stock risers to give me up to 3” dia clearance for when I make up steam boilers.

I’ve not got a dedicated mill but I have a compound slide for my pillar drill which can do light milling, it’s fine for slotting and facing.. other than that I literally have no more space for another dedicated machine in the shop I have 4 foot of open workbench left the pillar drill, laptop, belt sander, table saw with 12 foot of cutting space and my scroll/fret saw. I’m at the point now where I’ll have the clear the shelving under the work tops to put some of the tools away when not in use if I do anything over 4 foot!  %%

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 07:55:55 pm »

That is one heck of a transformation  O0

ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 10:23:33 pm »

Always had a soft spot for the unimat as they are so versatile and if I down size it would be on my list along with the Sheerline or if I win the lottery the Cowells range
Iv worn out two Hobbymat MD65 lathes cracking little machines work straight out of the box. I keep looking at the new ones although the screw cutting one is a bit pricey although a standard machine could easily be converted
https://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1252

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 10:32:08 pm »

That's a nice little unit but I've already committed to buying numerous items unique to the Proxxon  %%  so I'm stuck with my choice and now just waiting for another Prime offer despite costing me considerably more  :((  actually the wife more  {-)

purchases include
tailstock chuck with short MK1 taper
tailstock die holder and die set
chip and splash guard tray

I've just realised another option for location. FREEING up a whole section of bench  :-)  and its a better height too.
This £40 Ikea island table is solid and can carry most of my proxxon kit.

ANDY

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 10:52:01 pm »

I built my workshop about this time two years ago now...

The workshop is narrow as it used to be the old coal shed it’s about 5 foot wide but 18 foot long...

The new power toys I have are mainly all Clark as I got a discount for buying so many at one go, it’s fully insulated and heated too  :}

Before and after photos.... if I did a now photo you would only see my shameful mess  <*< ... isn’t all bad I can just go hide in here for hours...

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 10:54:33 pm »

That's a very nice job  :-))

I'm fortunate to have the whole second bedroom converted just for myself. My wife has the slightly smaller third bedroom just for her  O0
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 11:13:27 pm »

They are a nice little lathe . I used to keep one for small jobs that often used to crop up as part of making a living
thats why they became worn after a couple of years
Never had any dealings with Proxon so cannot comment on the quality although the bed reminds me of the Sieg
Those shops are far to clean for a scruff like me. I building River Princess and having a job keeping the wood clean and swarf free just looking forward to getting into the proper part of the build engine and boiler
Good luck finding another

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2020, 11:13:36 pm »

This is the only spare room we had on the house, with 5 kids I have zero spare rooms inside!

This wasn’t a bad conversion to be fair, to get a Decent shed half the size would have cost more than what I paid to build the workshop, this has the advantage too of being covered by my house insurance without fear that an insurer can go “it’s a shed”.

The mrs dose ok we have a large Dining room which doubles up with her knitting and sewing machines, but she’s always “I want your shed” I wish I had the balls to tell her “should have had less kids”

Slap  :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2020, 09:23:27 am »

Cannot comment on the number if children as  swmbo may see. Just wait until the grandchildren arrive :}
I had a similar set up and would do the same again when/If I down size the shop .
cheers

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2020, 09:58:48 am »

Hi Andy,
I'm sat in isolation reading this fascinating posting and feel the need to join in !

I share your love of Proxxon kit and own 2 of their table saws, love the mini A4 sized brilliant for striping up planks etc,
and I also own the very same Unimat SL in light green Hammerite finish as above - picked up in the 90's for £40 from the local model shop with a ratty sewing machine motor.
Replaced said ratty motor a brand new motor (flat pale green gloss finish) from Emco for a whopping £95, an engineer friend machined up the vertical milling stand conversion parts from simple chunks of Ali rod, and I buy replacement rubber O rings from a local bearings suppliers for drive belts -
which it eats regularly because of a sharp dink out of the main pulley casting, I know not how to repair,
and thats about it, the thing works ok for the small boat fittings I need.

This is the interesting bit - my brother-in-law and cousin (aeromodellers, living in different areas of the country) have both recently been GIVEN the same green Unimat SL lathes - one from an ageing friend, one in payment for work for a friend, this came with circular saw attachments and all manner of accessories !
so they are out there !!

I wasn't aware of how much they command value wise? staggering is the word I would use for an ancient 1950's item, but hey food for thought,
I have the original brochure with the multitude of accessories Emco produced in the 50's? I could scan and post if anyone's interested ??
regards Paul

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2020, 11:06:36 am »

Hi Andy,
I'm sat in isolation reading this fascinating posting and feel the need to join in !
Regards Paul
I'm glad you did I love how these threads expand, it's clear people with lathes like to share their machines and shop space  :-)
I had a good long look on eBay late last night and there are some very sorry looking examples among the good stuff. Aron's refurbishment is amazing.

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2020, 11:17:19 am »

Thats one tidy workshop Andy, how do you find your milling machine ?

It seems very capable to me as a novice. I got a very good price by importing ( German seller eBay, I paid in euros and cost me £251 delivered by avoiding PayPal  )  but as with the lathe there are still things to buy for it yet. I've not had it long and this was my first use in the link.

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,61758.msg684884.html#msg684884

My workshop is very congested and rarely so tidy {-)

The very strong IKEA drawer units are now discontinued items. The island benches are fantastic use of space and so flexible to be able to move around

ANDY

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2020, 01:04:04 pm »

Hi Andy,

I share your love of Proxxon kit and own 2 of their table saws, love the mini A4 sized brilliant for striping up planks etc,
and I also own the very same Unimat SL in light green Hammerite finish as above - picked up in the 90's for £40 from the local model shop with a ratty sewing machine motor.
Replaced said ratty motor a brand new motor (flat pale green gloss finish) from Emco for a whopping £95, an engineer friend machined up the vertical milling stand conversion parts from simple chunks of Ali rod, and I buy replacement rubber O rings from a local bearings suppliers for drive belts -
which it eats regularly because of a sharp dink out of the main pulley casting, I know not how to repair,
and thats about it, the thing works ok for the small boat fittings I need.

This is the interesting bit - my brother-in-law and cousin (aeromodellers, living in different areas of the country) have both recently been GIVEN the same green Unimat SL lathes - one from an ageing friend, one in payment for work for a friend, this came with circular saw attachments and all manner of accessories !
so they are out there !!

I wasn't aware of how much they command value wise? staggering is the word I would use for an ancient 1950's item, but hey food for thought,
I have the original brochure with the multitude of accessories Emco produced in the 50's? I could scan and post if anyone's interested ??
regards Paul

The unimat sl/dB were made in 1968-72, 3-4 versions were 80-90’s.
They command a really high price now I paid £400 for mine I see them go on eBay £4/800 regularly depending on quality and assesories, I was looking at the Proxxon range but the one I wanted was £1200+ extras which was fine, but it also smacked the 2nd hand Myford price range... if I could fit a Myford 10 I would have as that has the mill attachment, but due to limited size of workshop space I had to rethink... anyway I phoned my old man as the story goes and he suggested looking at the unimats as he not only had one when he was younger, but when he worked at Chatham dockyard they had one in the machine shop which was used to make screws as the threading attachment ment they could make 1”bolts with the same thread every time instead of the match’s pair nut and bolt that the boxford machinist we’re knocking out.

That said I went hunting came across a few unimats some in worse conditions than others, and won the one I currently have,  it was hammerite green and rusting steel, The paint was very flaky and would chip or flick off just running your finger over it, in the end I was getting some chattering on the work parts and given the sharp hss bit set I had just brought I knew instantly it was the headstock bearings, so I took that moment to strip and restore the machine and repaint it something more fitting for my shop instead of ugly green. Anyway that restoration didn’t cost much about £30 of paint and etch primer, new headstock bearings which were £20 and the motor clean. Then replaced all bolts for stainless.

Since then I’ve got two new live Centers, a max 13mm drill chuck, insert tooling etc.. I’m still after a independent 4 jaw, but the lathe is a 12x1 thread so finding ones that attach are rare or expensive, I’ve also got an ER16 collect chuck in order but delayed from Germany at present which was another £70 +£100 on the collect set itself up to 10mm, problem with all lathes is they are a money pit for a beginner starting out, in my case restating, but I was lucky enough I had a lot of extras with the lathe including face plate and dog, for square stock or milling without needing a 4 jaw if push came to shove.

I look at it as a labour of love for the machine, it gets good use nothing heavy but stainless and brass are common cutting materials and with insert tooling I have an easy time of it, it’s just a shame I’ve spent £200 on decent top end insert tools for the machine none of that cheap chinese rubbish!

I’m still working on other parts for specific jobs, round off/ball cutters, but much of those is a case of grinding blank hss stock to shape.

For what I do on a regular basis the unimat is a great fit to my workshop, off there are times I wish I had a Myford again, but I’m no longer knocking out the larger work of my past, for the odd jobs where I think I need a bigger machine I tend to find that other shop tools can do the task usualy just more time consuming.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2020, 01:34:24 pm »

My first delivery has arrived via Amazon Prime, absolutely best price £54.72. Highest price observed in excess of £100.
Proxxon 24082 tailstock die holder.
This is operated by hand and comes with 6 dies 3,4,5,6,8 and 10mm

ANDY

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2020, 02:01:02 pm »

Hi Andy & Tugtower,
This is great reading and now I'll brighten your day even further with some scans of a 1987 parts and price list -
I hope you can read them ok - they're faded 40 year old photostats of 1987 brochure from Emco Maier Watford,
showing the wood working attachments I've mentioned.

Both workshops put my modeling spare bedroom/tip to shame, I'm part way through converting a 12x10 foot concrete
block building in the garden, slate pitched roofs on, UPVC door and windows fitted, now waiting for the weather to warm up before fitting insulation,
and Larch cladding.

Tugtower interested to know what the glossy looking ceiling is you've fitted in yours (looks like a large sheet of ABS in the photos, LoL.)
Andy I'll be nicking all your many storage ideas !  I keep spotting gadgets in the background of your Shannon pics and taking mental notes !!

My one concern - many of my aeromodeling friends comment - once you move outside your building stops !
yes its far better indoors with conversation, heating, TV, cups of tea on tap etc, sadly we need the bedroom for other things,
I hope I'll continue modeling ok, but having doubts.

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2020, 02:04:43 pm »

Something went wrong here goes again

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2020, 02:04:59 pm »

I expect relatively speaking that those prices were not regarded as cheap in their day.  :-)

Wife just brought me a mug of tea and a Spam Sarnie  8)
ANDY

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2020, 02:16:53 pm »

postings gone sideways try again
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 22 queries.