Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon PD 250e Lathe accessories and upgrades for beginner  (Read 32198 times)

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proxxon PD 250e Lathe accessories and upgrades for beginner
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2020, 02:18:44 pm »

and another here goes - my pics are too large, tried to crop them down

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2020, 02:21:03 pm »

Looks very interesting Paul  O0
We only need one bedroom as three kids live local and my eldest daughter books the Premier Inn if staying

This is a shot of why my wife is so happy  {-)   When the sewing machine is stowed away in its cabinet where I'm stood she has loads of room. The PFAFF 1222e and cabinet were a gift from an old fella who's wife could no longer use it. I had to fully dismantle it to get it out of his house due to weight. Would have been very Expensive in the 70's/80's

ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
  • Owner of The RCMB Forum
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2020, 02:34:29 pm »

My unimat sl came with its original manual...

For those who want a read of it there is a few online copy’s To read through it also shows all the extra attachments from threading, power feed, milling, sanding, sawing, grinding... it was designed to be a 1 stop shop... pretty impressive really, I don’t have the power feed or threading attachment as I don’t cut threads that size so it’s an expensive extra part I would probably never use, I do however have the headstock mill attachment upright, but as I said before I have a slide for my pillar drill which can do the job without constantly converting the lathe over.

Online manual link....

http://m.cncmanual.com/emco-unimat-model-sl-operating-manual/

My real old manual!...

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 02:38:58 pm »

Did either of you see this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Quick-Change-Toolpost-for-Unimat-3-4-Lathes-SPECIAL-OFFER-WITH-8-HOLDERS/303499112084?hash=item46a9f4ee94:g:e~QAAOSwLfxeVRvJ

I’ve seen those they don’t work with the much older version I have which is the SL however there are home engineers who do sell quick change posts for the SL/DB I just have to justify another £100 for that over undoing two screws to change bits.... because the unimat dose not have a dial indicator or DRO ( although fitting a set of dials is easily done) a quick change post isn’t really a huge deal on keeping your center that a DRO would require... like most things common sense and usage should factor how far you take the machine.

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2020, 02:46:21 pm »

Yup £100  {-)  hmmm two screws or one and twist... think I’ll save my money, to be fair tho I also created a 1/4” riser for the head and tail stock to allow up to a 3” material in the chuck, so my risers allow me to use the sieg angle slide so I don’t have to turn the head stock to cut tapers anymore...
 Which keeps my head and tail stock perfectly 0.0 aligned  O0

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2020, 04:21:58 pm »

While I'm just treading water I've been gleaning more information and I feel I want a collet chuck but the Proxxon ER20 set is ridiculously expensive IMHO.
On U tube this guy fits an ER32 MT2 taper chuck to this proxxon. I believe sourced from Bangood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFaXQjqNXV8
ANDY

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2020, 04:59:56 pm »

Andy this is getting spooky - three guesses as to why we're in need of the bedroom? -
its being converted into a craft room just like your wife's - mines recently bought a new Janome !
I'll be storing models and perishables/timber etc in wardrobes in the above and using the outside workshop for building, and mucky jobs.

My shed bound pals recently discovered small hi-tec diesel powered heaters - look like PC cabinets with an exhaust pipe,
and work really well, kicking out more than enough heat ! even have remote control - you switch on from in home and go out to a warm workshop, around £100 - technology has its uses, just need to organise something on the Tea brewing front !

Wonder how Stan's coping, he'll be a lost soul without the annual shows to organise !

Re Lathes - my engineer pals are able to buy parts locally from Proops Bros. Fleckney, Leicester,
they attend the big shows and are usually good on prices as long as you're not too bothered what country produced it?
they have stock on shelves that's not always in their catalogue, might be worth a phone call.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2020, 05:12:54 pm »

The rest might do Stan some good? he and Pat work so hard. They are scaling down their personal effort over the coming years anyway.

Even in the house I have a bambino oil filled radiator  :-))  but embellished with TV and PC and service as often as required from the grateful wife  {-)  I just text my requirements in code like C&B = coffee and brandy

I will miss the shows this year now I have this interest. Doncaster engineering exhibition will be missed  <:(

ANDY

Tugtower

• Full Mayhemer
    • RCMB Forum
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2020, 05:19:17 pm »

While I'm just treading water I've been gleaning more information and I feel I want a collet chuck but the Proxxon ER20 set is ridiculously expensive IMHO.
On U tube this guy fits an ER32 MT2 taper chuck to this proxxon. I believe sourced from Bangood
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFaXQjqNXV8

Either the Er32 or the ER 16 are good fits for a mini lathe.... I’ve seen both collect chucks cheap online anywhere from £8-15 but I’ve heard on other engineering forums that they are seriously out of balance so their run off can be up to 5tho that’s awful imo, many who have brought the cheaper ones ended up having to center the spindle thread and make adapter plates to sit it correctly...

There is something to be said about buying cheap... RDG tools has a good quality selection which is where I get a lot of my gear, his prices are reasonable but not over the top.

I think when it comes to lathe and mill work you buy the best you can afford anything cheap will let you down for sure, after all a lathe and mill are suppost to be precision machines, anything with more than 0.1tho run out is not even worth wasting cash on.

The ER16 collect I have coming claimed to have no run out “0.0” and I honestly for the price I paid I expect nothing less!

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2020, 07:20:44 pm »

The chuck mounted  on the taper  probably wont have a hole through it and it will be a pain as you cannot hold long lengths of material.If it has a hole it will be a lot smaller than the machines spindle
Buy a separate ER chuck and mount it to a back plate or use one with a pre machined body its a fairly simple job to true them up
My ER chuck came from RDG with about 5 thou run out after remachining less than 0.0001. They are not perfect but then neither is anything I make.
I have a quick change tool post under the bench with the spiders just never got on with it
cheers

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2020, 07:41:51 pm »

I'll be better buying the Proxxon Collet chuck now you've pointed that out  :-))  just have to save a bit longer. Thanks for pointing out the not so obvious to the beginner  O0

ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2020, 09:25:19 pm »

My choice would be a decent self centering 3 jaw and an independent 4 jaw to start with   collets and such like are useful luxuries the only advantage would be set up time its the same with quick change tool posts they only save time and a wee bit of convenience
Decent measuring equipment is a must
Learn how to grind the cutting tools in HSS  its more than good enough and a useful thing to know about
I still make special tools from High Carbon Steel aka Silver steel or in the USA drill rod and they work well enough
Recently made a small boring set and holder that will bore down to 1.5mm upto 20mm using different tools in the holder and a larger tool post for bigger boring jobs although these use HSS cutters made from broken Milling cutters shanks
Geo Thomas ,The Model Engineers Workshop book is a mine of good info although primarily for the ML7 most of the tooling canbe scaled down . Well worth the money. At first I though I would never ever need all its info but over the last 20 years I have used it that many times Iv had to recently get another copy
Arc Eurotrade also sell ER chucks for back plate mounting although they are closed at the mo
This site has some tooling ideas for the Proxon size
http://mikesworkshop.weebly.com/lathe-accessories-and-tooling.html
cheers

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2020, 10:45:56 pm »

This is a good thread and I have to agree with the last post.

I have done loads of work on a lathe and can’t see why anyone would want more than a 3 jaw and 4 jaw chuck. With practice and a decent DTI any lathe can be set up and so can the tail stock over the full bed distance.

As for cutting tools HSS is adequate for home use in my opinion and learning to grind them will also teach the operator a lot about cutting materials. With a decent cutting lubricant HSS will easily cut stainless steel for what we need. Tipped tools are awesome for manufacturing and prolonged cutting but they are not a necessity. Buy the basic necessities and have a play it’s the best way to learn. Oh and keep all loose clothing out of the way.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2020, 10:57:04 pm »

Comes with a 3 jaw chuck included.
1975 was the last time I used a metal lathe during my engineering apprenticeship so it's all fairly new to me now apart from the common sense  O0  I made several tools including a steel hammer with four interchangeable heads and knurled handle. I think my dad nicked it as not seen it since  {-)

I found the manual online http://www.proxtools.com/store/pc/catalog/manuals/34002%20lathe%20pd250e%20user%20guide.pdf
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2020, 10:12:10 am »

Similar paths, Iv used lathes since I was 12 but still have no common sense and still do dumb things at times
Like leaving cutters in the mill then catching the back of my hand on said cutter Hmmm sometimes just plain stupid
I started in Horology but ended up in the magic smoke club due to the down turn when factory time keeping became electronic
Making little bits of tooling is a great exercise and a great learning experience and although the tooling can often be bought cheaply the knowledge gained cannot and simple projects encourage progress
The Proxon will probably meet youre needs I have no experience with them so cannot comment
One thing Iv noticed in the Proxon book from a quick glance You dont seem to be able to adjust the tailstock is that a common feature on these small machines?. If so how do you adjust the machine if its turning a taper
Another feature like the Hobbymat MD65 the leedscrew nut is permanently engaged so when doing a longer job you have to wind the cutter back by hand and it becomes a bit of a pain. I think this is common on small machines.although most jobs tend to be short and near the chuck
This is not intended as criticism of the machine just my observations
cheers
frazer

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2020, 10:25:01 am »

Tailstock is just an allen key

Some video in use here
https://youtu.be/j-0UrrsxVwE
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2020, 11:10:42 am »

ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2020, 01:07:49 pm »

Tailstock is just an allen key

Some video in use here
https://youtu.be/j-0UrrsxVwE

This is just for locking the tail stock in place.  What Frazer is talking about is adjustment left and right horizontal to the bed.  If the tail stock is not exactly central the lathe will cut tapers instead of a parallel cut.  I don't think this will be an issue on such a short machine.

When I was an apprentice I had to set the tail stock on a 3 - 4m long bed which also used stays.  Took all flipping day to stop it cutting a gradual taper.  Luckily I never had to do it again  {-)   The old hands thought that my efforts were hilarious and suggested I try and make a living another way!

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2020, 01:35:06 pm »

Thank you  {-)
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2020, 01:51:38 pm »

For short jobs it should not be a problem it just seemed strange that there is no adjustment
If you ever need to cut a long taper it may become an issue that can be got round by using either a set over center or better still use a boring head in the tailstock. I use that method as its such a pain resetting the tailstock
It was always the apprentices job or in our shop you got the job of cutting several Cathedral clock frames out as the gaffer used to sell them via the Model Engineer mag for the Christmas fund
A lot of it depends on what you expect the machine to be used for ?
They look a capable wee machine that will give years of use for my money Im waiting for a decent Cowell to come along sub £1K maybe a lont wait
cheers
frazer

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2020, 04:04:15 pm »

Yea I think they would be great for small short jobs.  Having seen these lathes that actually look really well made and I'd have one tomorrow - but it'll have to wait as I've just bought a mill which is getting some good use at the moment  :-))

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2020, 06:15:32 pm »

I desperately need to replace my RF25 as its cracking around the head locking bolts and has never been very accurate , At the time 1984 it was about all that was available in my meagre budget and it has done a lot of work
Like the lathe the time will come when I need to downsize the only problem there is so much choice a bit like a kid at a sweet shop window
Iv never seen a Proxon machine and the choice of machine seems to be such a personal thing and has caused  a lot of dummy spitting out on other sites
Some times its not the machine but the user that is the limiting factor ok2
cheers

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2020, 06:19:35 pm »

I agree - they are manual machines and are as good as the user.  As long as the slides are tight and true a good machinist with a micrometer can make just about anything.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.398 seconds with 22 queries.