Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Proxxon PD 250e Lathe accessories and upgrades for beginner  (Read 32208 times)

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Proxxon PD 250e Lathe accessories and upgrades for beginner
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2020, 07:48:20 pm »

Here is one of many and a good little turning learning jobby
https://www.homemadetools.net/homemade-lathe-tool-height-setting-gauge-2

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2020, 11:33:03 pm »

Thanks for everyones help  :-))

I found strip of K&S brass in my stock that just happens to be 0.6mm thick  {-)  result!
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

grendel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2020, 09:11:54 am »

yes i use multiple shims of thin brass stock, 0.2mm, 0.3mm, and just mix and match to suit

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #128 on: April 30, 2020, 06:16:23 pm »

Eastern European Geezer on youtube unbelievably found that his tailstock did not centre with his chuck and he made a brass shim to fit under the near side edge to bring it inline. I find it inconceivable that it could be so far out from the factory but in an earlier project he messed about with his 3 jaw chuck, grinding bits off  {-) 

Anyway I have no material to turn just yet but I believe mine is in line without trying to fix wot aint broke

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #129 on: April 30, 2020, 06:25:36 pm »

When I first posted pictures on facebook our Martin asked if one of the pulleys was wood? which indeed it did look like that in the said picture.

Closer picture reveals its clearly a man made composite and I hold with my theory that it prevents heat transfer from the motor to the primary drive belt.

ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #130 on: April 30, 2020, 07:29:51 pm »

A very rough and ready way to check alignment
Fit a center to headstock and tailstock then gently nip a razor blade between them you will see if the blade is tilting showing out of align
If you dont have two centers turn a point on a bit of bar in the chuck but dont remove it until you have finished checking
This is not the way I do it but Im lucky to have made test mandrels when I worked in tool-rooms
There are many ways of skinning a cat but as long as they work who cares
Rolys Dads method is pretty good you will find it on many sites
I had for my sins a Sieg CO for a short while and ended up boring the tailstock and cutting it from its foot to make it adjustable.I spent a lot of time hand scraping the bed and saddle .It ended up as nice wee machine but took about 100 hours labour to get it that way .
For materials other than scrounged scrap M-Machine metals are reasonably good and will on larger sizes sell by the inch sorry 25.4mm
Good luck the fun is just begging
cheers

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »

Thank you. I have numerous plastic bars up to 30mm diameter on the way from Amazon to play with.

Meanwhile another Amazon delivery, they seem to be consistently best on price with Prime

ANDY

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2020, 08:14:46 pm »

Hi Andy - centre drills :-))  you can't go wrong with them mate!  Here's another test you can do - Take a long bar and centre drill each end in your 3 jaw chuck.  Then put a centre on the chuck and put between there and the tailstock.  Then put your DTI on the long slide and you can measure any run out.  The great thing is once you've set the tail stock up with shims/grinding/filing as long as it doesn't get bashed thats it - job done!

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2020, 10:44:09 pm »

To make a test bar as Mark rightly says drill each end with a centre drill them machine along its length   as in between centres turning .Measure the dia along its length and adjust the machine until you have a constant diameter.Then keep it as a test bar
Ark eurotrade ,RDG sell test bars for reasonable price if you dont fancy making one and they are reasonably accurate for our needs
May sound a bit pedantic but if the test equipment is not accurate then you end up chasing youre own tail
Center drills are not used for starting twist drill although like most Im guilty of doing so when I cannot find my SPOTTING drill. This has the correct angle for twist drills and makes for a better start and only cost a little more than center drills and you only need a couple
Before adjusting the tailstock the machine should be wound in
A simple test is to machine about 4 inches of what ever you have with two rings a bit like a cotton bobbin.Then without tailstock support take light cut and measure each ring .They should be the same if the machine is levelled/wound in correctly
In the Myford ML7 manual that is available online for free is a full  and better explanation of the above
A little setting is to be expected with any machine as is bedding in. This maybe the reason utube is full of nutters hacking decent machines to bits instead of taking a bit of time to learn.Just look at that screw ball using a parting tool in a Proxon to try and turn some bar down.The poor machine is begging for mercy

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2020, 10:14:21 am »

Hi Andy,
Nice to see you finally up and running with a great end result, well worth all the agro, a lovely addition to the most organised workshop on the planet !
I trust I have your permission to nick the wheelie kitchen unit lathe/drill press base idea? do you have the patent registered??
and wondering what he's got up his sleeve - any new projects in mind for the lathe ?
it's a nice size machine, would easily accommodate a model boat steam plant, a steam garden loco would be nice to play with during lock down. Paul

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2020, 04:35:26 pm »

Thank you all again keep the tips coming  :-))

Paul I have absolutely no idea what I will make  {-)   First I have to explore my options as I learn with use.

The IKEA tables just seem too good to be true for £40 Help yourself  O0  currently delivery only with a £9.95 delivery charge.

The chopping boards are handy too. I turned this bench around and used one as a back board to which I can add a shelf or two. It's just the right width to be able to fit a batten either side to prevent items being knocked over the edge.

I don't have any wood just yet but you see the idea with this scrap

I feel absolutely no need for fixing either of these down and I slide whichever to the fore for use

The wooden shelf lats have a gap at the side that will accommodate 3mm ply if you wanted to side them off and fix a back .
Having a pair of wheels makes them so easy to move around.

ANDY

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #136 on: May 02, 2020, 09:56:26 am »

Thanks Andy chopping boards are another very smart, easy fix idea, along with the clip on LED Lamps all duly noted and will be used as soon as the workshops finished !

Your photo's are a constant reminder of how much I really need a Proxxon mini drill press, and what a shame it would be?
not have its matching brother miller sat next to it !  you can see where this is going - rehearsing my plea to my better half ! 

Just made a quick calculation and I will have routed over half a miles worth of rebates in the Larch outer cladding when the stupid workshops finished -
and I wondered why it's dragging on tad !  cheers Paul

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #138 on: May 02, 2020, 06:32:45 pm »

Itching for a bash I found a length of steel drift bar in my tool chest O0 13mm

So first I faced off an off cut and checked centre height which was still OK with 0.6 shim.

I left the main drive belt ratio on 400/1600 and ran at full speed.
VIDEO
[size=78%]<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="720" height="1280" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/9438063395_gkt3LVK?width=720&height=1280&albumId=208706800&albumKey=VFhLfk"></iframe>[/size]

I then proceeded to produce a taper
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #139 on: May 02, 2020, 06:38:44 pm »

ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #140 on: May 02, 2020, 07:09:41 pm »

I think by calculation if I'm correct that 13mm times 3.142 x 1,600 rpm = about 65 metres per minute ? Which is too fast  %%
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #141 on: May 02, 2020, 07:30:22 pm »

These arrived today from Amazon. The ones I ordered from Chronos were cancelled as they sold out. These are £44 delivered and again much more expensive from other sources.

Also

Also special lubricant. I'll test this tonight  :-))
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #142 on: May 02, 2020, 07:50:03 pm »

Looks go to go
At least one of us has had a productive day. Just cut a 34 and 1/2 tooth gear %% then gave up
cheers

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #143 on: May 02, 2020, 07:56:29 pm »

%%

So much to learn but isn't it fun  O0  Thanks  :-))

One thing I've learnt is I need a frontal extension (oops pardon) to my table as much of the swarf ends up on my feet  {-)
Glad I fitted laminate floor.

I have enough steel left to make a test bar tomorrow too
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #144 on: May 02, 2020, 08:26:22 pm »

Swarf gets everywhere terrible stuff
I was pushing my luck and miscounted  at least Iv nearly got River Princess engine done and dusted bar a few tweaks.The old Enfield will have to wait for a day or two
The test bar needs to be turned between centers if possible
When setting my lathe up I do the wind test first then use a test bar between centers to check tailstock alignment
My machine goes out of true as the weather changes even though its on a heavy steel stand.
cheers
frazer

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #145 on: May 02, 2020, 08:27:54 pm »

I've got some engineers blue on order
ANDY

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #146 on: May 02, 2020, 08:44:27 pm »

The first test is for level or wind. When you bolt a machine down the bed may twist in industry you would use engineers levels to see if the bed is twisting. A simpler way is to machine a bit of what ever you have about 100mm long .True it up with tailstock support then take light cuts without the tailstock if its turning a taper then the beds feet need shimimg
There is a very easy to follow write up in the Myford ML7 manual thats online
A lot of people wont bother taking the time to do some simple checks when installing the machine then wonder why its turning tapers and start hacking away
We used to stick the machines down on cork felt soaked in shellac a bit messy and impractical for our small toys
Precision Toolrooms are humidity and temp controlled so the machines stay in tolerance or thats the idea or until a toolmaker has an oopsie . Iv seen a few high speed cnc crashes but it kept me in work at the time .and the error codes never lie  %)
All of this guys videos are worth a look at
https://youtu.be/dnhT88kSUh0

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #147 on: May 02, 2020, 09:46:26 pm »

Eastern European Geezer on youtube unbelievably found that his tailstock did not centre with his chuck and he made a brass shim to fit under the near side edge to bring it inline. I find it inconceivable that it could be so far out from the factory but in an earlier project he messed about with his 3 jaw chuck, grinding bits off  {-) 

Anyway I have no material to turn just yet but I believe mine is in line without trying to fix wot aint broke

My 250 was the same but the shim corrects it. Not uncommon apparently.

Mike.

frazer heslop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #148 on: May 02, 2020, 10:48:23 pm »

A lot of people seem to think that grinding the 3 jaw will correct run out hmm it will only correct a bell mouth and may improve accuracy at the set dia they have ground . Soft jaws would be a better proposition but they dont seem to be on models makers radar myself included
For our needs a thou or two doesn't matter as we make each part fit each other and dont expect several thousand parts to be within a micron of each other.
Im happy to keep to a thou and thats on a good day especially with my who flung dung mill
cheers and happy swarf making

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #149 on: May 02, 2020, 11:20:22 pm »

A friend from 50 yrs back just pointed me to this
https://littlemachineshop.com/mobile/speeds_feeds.php

Seems I’m way too slow
ANDY
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.