Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: First Kit - Aeronaut Jenny  (Read 6889 times)

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
First Kit - Aeronaut Jenny
« on: April 03, 2020, 04:03:40 pm »

Hi All,

Thanks for letting me become a member of this site. It looks like it is full of lots of really useful information.

My 10, nearly 11 year old son recently went with one of his friends to have a go at model boating. His friend, friends father and brother have all been boating for ages. My son never been before. Now he has become quite interested in it. And after a few chats with his friends father, who has been very helpful, I decided to get my son a boat.

We decided to buy an Aero-naut Classic Sports Boat kit. I'm sure he will need some help making it, and we will build it together. I also, possibly rashly, decided to get an Aero-naut Jenny kit too! Something for me to play with, so we can both have something to take to the water.

Over the next few weeks, I'll start buying the rest of the kit we need, at least to complete the first boat. Looks like this s a good place to look to see what other kit people use/recommend.

I'll try and keep a record of how we get on with both boats. I see a few people have done the same.

Rich (and Luke)

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
Re: First Kits
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 08:36:38 pm »

Hey Rich,

Welcome to the ( so far ) Coronavirus free Mayhem Forum !

Not built a Aero-naut  kit myself, but I hear good things about them, so happy building.... post photos!   :-))

https://tinyurl.com/t97c6o7
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models

Klunk

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • If you know who I am, please remind me!!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:59:12 am »

Hi Richard, where abouts in Beds are you?
SECRETARY - LUTON AND DISTRICT MODEL BOAT CLUB
full time penguin

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 06:47:17 am »

Hi Klunk,

We are just North of Luton.
I believe that my son was taken to one of your clubs meetings at Wardown Park.

Good to make contact with you! Maybe we can meet face to face at some point soon, once the Covid restrictions are lifted!

Rich

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 06:56:32 am »

Hey Rich,

Welcome to the ( so far ) Coronavirus free Mayhem Forum !

Not built a Aero-naut  kit myself, but I hear good things about them, so happy building.... post photos!   :-)) 

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the welcome.
Hopefully, two links to pictures below will work!

As it's not Luke's birthday for a few weeks, they will have to stay in the boxes for a while. Unless of course the boredom of isolation proves too much!

Rich

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 09:06:24 am »

Hopefully these two pictures upload..
Nothing exciting in terms of progress.

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 09:09:46 am »

Hi Rich
Classic is a good place to start, and gives great little model.
Check out my build of it here https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57838.msg602811.html#msg602811http://
And please do you self the favour and replace the propshaft with some thing better, you can see my choice of parts in the link.

BR Carsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 09:49:11 am »

Hi Rich
Classic is a good place to start, and gives great little model.
Check out my build of it here https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,57838.msg602811.html#msg602811http://
And please do you self the favour and replace the propshaft with some thing better, you can see my choice of parts in the link.

BR Carsten

Hi Carsten
Thanks for you link. Always good to see other peoples builds! I have seen a couple of builders say the prop shaft needs to be better. Did the one you use fit as a replacement without too much bother? Ie will a relative novice make the change without too many problems? I assume it's better to fit from the start than try and fit once the boat is built?
I also notice you fitted a Universal joint rather than the flex hose as a joint between shaft and motor.
I think I am planning to install a brushless set up. But will start with NiMh batteries, as I have a few of those already from buggys.
Was suggested this motor - Turnigy L2210A-1650 Brushless Motor (180w) - but I wonder if its a bit too much. Maybe a 1200kV would be better to start with.
We will read through your build post several times before we start!
Do you mind if I as what varnish and paint you used?

Thanks

Rich

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 10:16:15 am »

Hi Carsten
Thanks for you link. Always good to see other peoples builds! I have seen a couple of builders say the prop shaft needs to be better. Did the one you use fit as a replacement without too much bother? Ie will a relative novice make the change without too many problems? I assume it's better to fit from the start than try and fit once the boat is built?
I also notice you fitted a Universal joint rather than the flex hose as a joint between shaft and motor.
I think I am planning to install a brushless set up. But will start with NiMh batteries, as I have a few of those already from buggys.
Was suggested this motor - Turnigy L2210A-1650 Brushless Motor (180w) - but I wonder if its a bit too much. Maybe a 1200kV would be better to start with.
We will read through your build post several times before we start!
Do you mind if I as what varnish and paint you used?

Thanks

Rich
It is easy to fit a larger tube, you can measure the old tube and the new tube and then remove ½ of this from each part of the keel.
Choice of BL: If you use Turnigy L2210A-1650 with 7.2V NimH you will have approx 11800rpm where I'm using a BL with 1380Kv, with Lipo it gives for 2S approx 10200rmp and for 3S approx 15300rpm, so just stay with that choice, your battery will also add some weight that will slow it a bit down. It sails great and scale like speed with the 2S, with 3S it is too fast and gets unstable in rough water.

Varnish: I'm using Junckers Skibslak,It's a Danish Brand of 1K maritime high gloss, you can use any maritime type of 1K varnish.
Paint: It is Vallejo water based, first a couple layers of varnish with a rubdown between, then the colour and then some layers of varnish on top of the that.
Carsten
My postings are only reflecting my own opinion and should not be read as the holy grail of truth :-)

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 10:29:43 am »

It is easy to fit a larger tube, you can measure the old tube and the new tube and then remove ½ of this from each part of the keel.
Choice of BL: If you use Turnigy L2210A-1650 with 7.2V NimH you will have approx 11800rpm where I'm using a BL with 1380Kv, with Lipo it gives for 2S approx 10200rmp and for 3S approx 15300rpm, so just stay with that choice, your battery will also add some weight that will slow it a bit down. It sails great and scale like speed with the 2S, with 3S it is too fast and gets unstable in rough water.

Varnish: I'm using Junckers Skibslak,It's a Danish Brand of 1K maritime high gloss, you can use any maritime type of 1K varnish.
Paint: It is Vallejo water based, first a couple layers of varnish with a rubdown between, then the colour and then some layers of varnish on top of the that.
Carsten

Thanks. I assume I'll also need to swap the prop, if I swap the shaft?

tica

• Full Mayhemer
    • Skalamodelskibe
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 10:46:35 am »

Yes you have to get another prop, I'm using a 30mm hydroprop from Graupner No. 2299.30 and please use a good quality UJ instead of that flimsy piece of silicon tube, it will not stand for the BL setup.
Video of my wife's classic running with a 5Ah hard case 2S LiPo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3_VGfSnTho

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 09:49:13 pm »

Hi Rich,

I’ve just started on the Aeronaut Jenny, first boat build for about 20 years since I did one with my dad so will see how it goes. If I can find somewhere to host the images I’ll put some up from the build so far. Have learnt a few things not to do but all part of the experience! I struggled a bit with the hull stringers as it’s a real curve at the front of the boat and getting them to hold was difficult, cable ties seemed to work for me but not seen anyone else use that method online so possibly not a normal approach.

Would recommend getting some ratchet clamps, normal spring clamps really struggled to hold the hull panels in place.

To the rest of the community I had a few questions for help (sorry if some seam really obvious):
I have gone for the Aeronaut 650 Race Motor, so went brushed. I note on my old boat (now v old) we fitted suppression capacitors. Are these not needed now with modern controllers as the new motor didn’t come with any?

It a thanks for info on the paint, I was going to ask about best paint, varnish people use and any recommendations they have that ship in the UK. I notice aeronaut recommend covering the boat in a coat of clear boat lacquer, is this what most people do?

I struggled to find an alternative prop shaft the right size for the Jenny online, it’s a 380 mm tube with a 350 mm shaft. Did find this one online although it’s a bit short

https://howesmodels.co.uk/product/13-inch-330mm-m4-boat-propeller-shaft-stainless-steel/

Would it make a significant difference to the as supplied shaft and is that one above any good or are there other brand’s people use?

Have to say a big thank you to people who post build blogs, really helped a lot when scratching by head looking at build instructions and wanting to double check for my own sanity I was doing the right thing. Will try and also do the same, even if the build isn’t quite to the same standard  :-)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2020, 09:54:47 pm »

Simon - just a couple of comments. When fitting stringers and panels (assume you mean skins?) You will find it much easier to hold them in place and take stress out of the hull assembly if you steam  (some prefer to soak) to the curve beforehand before gluing. I use a kettle with the top open and wear oven gloves to hold to the bend required.

As regards the prop shaft I assume you mean 380 shaft and 350 tube! Anyway, you can always get a longer one and cut it down.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2020, 10:09:05 pm »

Welcome to the forum and I wish you all luck with your Aeronaut builds! Do post some pictures of your builds, we like build logs  :}
Pond weed is your enemy

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2020, 10:46:02 pm »

Hi Chris, thanks good advice will try that next time. And yes you’re right, I did get the tube and shaft dimensions the wrong way round, that would have been an interesting installation based on my original dimensions I stated 😀

I’ll try and get some build pictures up this weekend, they were a bit rushed when I took them, but can show everyone  what not to do 😃

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2020, 10:48:05 pm »

Excellent news! I look forward to seeing them  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2020, 02:52:21 pm »

Sorry it’s been a long time without any update. Work has been extremely busy and had some parts issues that I forgot to order and then with things as they are right now delivery’s are understandably a bit delayed.

I originally hadn’t planned these photos so not the best. This is just a test to see if posting works.

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2020, 02:55:32 pm »

That will be a no on image hosting working, ok, next go.

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2020, 03:03:13 pm »

Ah so that worked, well ok unconventional I know but I really struggled to get the stringers to stay in place, steaming them sounded a good idea and will try for next time. I seemed to work ok except at the front where I had an issue getting them in tight. Afterwards I found some ratchet clamps that held them well while gluing.

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2020, 03:07:46 pm »

I the hull went on ok but I taped it together too tight on the practice fit and never spotted on refitting that it hadn’t gone back down flush so ended up with a small gap between the hull and the centre of the frame  :((  Also had some difficulty getting everything perfectly aligned at the front. Anyway onto the sides and that was not easy. The method in the instructions of putting both on together, just couldn’t get it to work, so did one at a time and weighted it down as instructed and that went ok.

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2020, 03:12:29 pm »

Needed a bit of filler at the front which is now smoothed down. As recommended bought a new prop shaft and that is about to be installed so will post some updates as the interior fit out proceeds.

rich_morris

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2020, 04:09:22 pm »

Hi Simon, thanks for your updates.
My son's birthday is on Tuesday, so I hope we will start building soon.
I'm hoping I've got most the bits I need, although electronics I ordered are delayed!
I'll check I've got plenty of tiewraps.

Rich

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2020, 08:59:53 pm »

The zip ties are a good idea Simon. Especially the reusable ones  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2020, 02:59:49 pm »

Some updates to the very slow build on my part. Started to fit the internals and deck support structure now.

Not sure why my photos keep rotating, sorry about that.

Simon_Derby

• Shipmate
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2020, 03:05:40 pm »

Have replaced the supplied prop with a Caldercraft Fineline 4mm, seemed a much better shaft than the pre supplied shaft and also replaced the straight coupling with a universal joint. Just couldn’t guarantee a perfect alignment with the straight coupling. 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.