Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: H.A.L.O  (Read 1385 times)

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
H.A.L.O
« on: April 03, 2020, 05:13:54 pm »

H.A.L.O. 
 This is my High Altitude Low Outlay system. Lol.
 As mentioned before, the V262 quadcopter has a 3v supply I can operate from the transmitter. I wondered how I could make use of this, I have now come up with a use for it. Using the gearbox from the car I was going to use in the tug, I have made a release system for parachutes, fake bombs and also free flight glider launching. Having made loads of free flight gliders in the past, this will hopefully launch them at a decent height. My only concern is that they get blasted with prop wash as soon as they are released. If high enough, they should settle into a glide once they get out of the blast zone. The glider shown was made about 5 years ago, and interestingly the design is called the Wasp 😁 I will need to fit a loop on top so it can fit onto my release mechanism. I have kept my mechanism as simple as possible for reliability. First tests have been 100% reliable so far. At last I have found a use for more of the terrible rc car. Thats the battery and the gearbox repurposed, need to think of uses for the rest of it now. 😁

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
Re: H.A.L.O
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:18:54 pm »

HALO 2 ?
 After I tried my first version of release system, where wind, downdraught and a waving plane ripped it all to bits, I decided to do a better system using motor and gearbox from a dead 3.7g servo, I snipped out the restrictor bits and removed the dead electronics. The cable is a repurposed quad led cable. The servo goes round about a half to a third with a short press of the button. This is enough to release poor action man. His first tests will be without the parachute till I can get into a space where he wont drift into trees. If the parachute opens, that is. Preliminary tests show it has plenty of power and releases every time.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 04:57:20 pm »

Action man Freefall training. Video here
https://youtu.be/FIWtlNFQD3Q

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 05:28:31 pm »

I meant to mention that his parachute is the cloth from a large broken brolly I found while slope soaring. I will hopefully get to a more open area for parachute training.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 05:12:13 pm »

Well, parachute training day failed, the quad wouldn't lift action man and his parachute, need a lighter action man. Anyway, we went back to freefall training, with wife and kids watching, up pretty high, and windy, he lost his hand hitting the ground. I missed it as I was controlling the quad back to the ground. My daughter caught most of it except the actual impact. So I sent him back up for another drop, thought he was going to hit me so ended up seeing him hit just in front of me, then got fright of my life as the forgotten quadcopter slammed into the ground right beside me! I thought my daughter was going to wet herself laughing.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 05:19:20 pm »

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 10:19:17 pm »

I made a lighter version of action man using his uniform, feet, hands and head, hotglued onto a foam core, I am now able to drop him and his chute. I had to put only the parachute under my release stystem band, putting him in there too stopped it working for some reason. He dangles underneath.
Video here. https://youtu.be/MpKV-feOP94
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.169 seconds with 21 queries.