Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Raf Rescue Launch ST 1502  (Read 1217 times)

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Raf Rescue Launch ST 1502
« on: April 15, 2020, 05:37:49 pm »

Raf Rescue boat 1502 this was based in Tocyn Brwyn Pwllheli and was looked after by my Grandfather WJ Gould who was also a coxswain On the Pwllheli lifeboat.[/size]As I dont have a plan of the actual boat but do have a plan of a resuce launch by Barrie Griffin the baisic hull is pretty much the same on all the craft so new upperworks will be assembled freelance so to speak.ST 1502 was built in Hythe by the British Power Boat Co Ltd in 1942. She saw wartime service in various part of the UK and was armed and fitted out for Air Sea Rescue duties. She came out of RAF service in the mid 1950s and went into private hands to be converted to a pleasure craft. ST 1502 continued to give fine service in this capacity but eventually fell into disrepair and was taken on by the British Military Powerboat Trust in the late 1990s to be restored to her former glory. This task was given to a party of ex-RAF sailors from the Air Sea Rescue & Marine Craft Sections Club, (Hants & Dorset Branch). The project began with the complete strip down of ST 1502 to bare bones. From there, the vessel was rebuilt. ST 1502 was originally built of wood, designed on the hard chine principle with single diagonal mahogany side planking and double diagonal bottom planking, also of mahogany, on frames. The superstructure was fabricated from wood and extended aft from the wheelhouse to the cockpit. The superstructure roof was of Flexopy, covered with canvas and supported by mahogany beams. She was powered by twin Perkins S6M diesels, Meadows gearboxes and direct drive to Nickel Aluminium propellers. Later craft of this kind had a fuel capacity of 130 gallons, a range of 150 miles and could attain a maximum speed of 23 knots, with a continuous cruising speed of 20 knots. By November 2008, ST 1502 had been waterborne for three years and was operational in the Southampton area. In 2009, she was transferred to the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard open to view by the public.https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7892/46611809514_0408c7b675_c.jpgDave

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Raf Rescue Launch ST 1502
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2020, 05:42:02 pm »

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2020, 05:49:42 pm »

Sorry everyone i can not remember my original flicker account so i have had to copy the image address from another forum !! but don't fret ive got a new one so the new pics i take will appear with no probs.

Today i decided to build a superstructure out of light ply glued together with mitre bond which is a proffesional super glue and activator used by carpenters darned good stuff

IMG_4393 by David jones, on Flickr

IMG_4392 by David jones, on Flickr

IMG_4391 by David jones, on Flickr

IMG_4388 by David jones, on Flickr

Hopefully tomorrow i can get the superstructure finished

Dave

Nordlys

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2020, 08:13:05 am »

I will be following your build progress with much interest Dave.
I recently finished building ST 441
N

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2020, 08:41:39 pm »

Didn't get  a lot done today as my hands would not let me it took around 8 attempts to get the front right,iit looks in the pic that the windows don't line up trust me they do it is an optical illusion.

IMG_4394 by David jones, on Flickr

IMG_4395 by David jones, on Flickr

IMG_4396 by David jones, on Flickr

Dave

RST

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 09:04:19 pm »

I like these. I built a hull for one back when I was kid and made it from cardboard, sellotape and painted with acrylic artists tubes. Never got round to the topsides. It went like royal stink but the inevitable happened and I just got it back in time, all wet and soggy. So all the parts got transplanted into next and I'm 25 years on and still not done an RAF launch. It's on the list!

Rich
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 22 queries.