Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Service Severn  (Read 2917 times)

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
Service Severn
« on: April 10, 2020, 07:58:05 pm »

Hi All its time to give my 1/16th Severn a make over, I've been sailing and showing her at events for 8 years, this is some thing I have not been looking to do but must be done.
Being very careful stripping all railings from deck all will need sanding and painting, this is one of the original kits from Speedline so lots of Perspex parts and soft metal parts, I will not make new railings from brass I want to keep it as the kit came.
All working parts are ok so she only needs touching up and a good clean I will keep you all on my progress.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Service Severn
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2020, 09:13:50 pm »

Bit more done today, when looking at the frames that came off I could just see how bad they are <:( rust were the pins are, flaking paint, cracks on the deck rust and corrosion in places, she is looking worse than I had thought, salt water and dust can do a lot off damage and pond water will damage to if you don't dry it off.
I do have a spare set of the trim tabs (just in case I damage the ones on her) but will see if I can tidy the ones on her as they are not to bad.
The main paint work on the hull sides and bottom are all good thank god so no need to repaint the whole hull, it just seems to be the main deck and fittings.
The super structure will get a good wash and dry I will us soapy water with a fine brush and blow dry it with my air brush, I will t-cut the paint work were possible with some parts needing to come off to tidy. I will post as I go.
Cheers. :-))

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »

Some pictures showing the damaged caused I will be taking the life boxes off to tidy up.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 05:12:04 pm »

Started to repaint deck there is an area I am not to happy with  >:-o can you spot it, just done stern area. but looking much better.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2020, 05:46:17 pm »

Deck repainted, taken some of the parts from the main superstructure off very dusty and needs a good clean. the Y boat not to bad I gave it a clean came up very nice thank god. all hand rails will be repainted.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2020, 05:38:17 pm »

Cleaned superstructure with soapy warm water today it was very dirty and dusty there is still some spaces I can not get to but what a difference.
painted deck surface that made a big difference too. I will clean all rails and spray paint them. all brass will be primed with brass primer paint. I think I did not use it originally that's why I had corrosion lesson learnt. she is coming along nicely.         

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2020, 07:37:28 pm »

Hi All keeping safe I hope, cleaned all railings came up a treat all ready for painting. they are just positioned but not fixed. the front railings I did make from brass as these do get knocked when taking super structure off. 
All stanchion's cleaned up some have slight damage hope I can fix them. deck will get a coat of varnish next then can start to fix items back on.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 05:24:42 pm »

looks like I need to do a bit of paint work on the super structure the orange paint will be of different colour due to the fading it will fade with time like the rest of the structure but I will try not to let it stand out to much. it would be crazy for me to try and take all items off as I can not get hold of spare parts for this kit.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 07:23:05 pm »

Hi All managed to do a bit more recently, painted the two end tops and striped the life boxes come up nice, all hand rails painted. should be finished soon.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2020, 08:11:46 pm »

Hi been working on my Severn, I said at the beginning that all running gear was working okay but since then one of the shafts has ceased, the collar had stuck to the shaft it would not move tried every thing to try and shift it even soaking it in WD40 over knight, so had to cut it off  <*<.
Thanks to my old friend Denice Ramsden he made me a new collar and shaft and all is working thank god.
fixed all railings and stanchions, one of the soft metal stern corner railings had a number of cracks in it so had to make a new one this I have made out of brass as you can not buy the parts.
Fixing the straps to hold down life boxes this I made out of red card and varnished works out well.

stuart22

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 08:24:20 pm »

Hi All,
Not done much more but almost finished. trying to find the cord for the hand rails what have people used any help will do.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 10:33:18 pm »

Getting a little difficult to discern which images are of the model or the actual vessel  %)  ......needs no further comment :-)) .... Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 22 queries.