Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HMS Victorious  (Read 3139 times)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
HMS Victorious
« on: April 12, 2020, 11:42:02 am »

While waiting for parts for CVA-01, I had a garage clear out, and took the chance to bring Vic back into the daylight, at 1/72 I had forgotten just how big she is, did a few repairs, ran the motors and sorted out her stowage, all in all a very satisfying break from the boredom.

Bob

I will finish this model

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
Re: HMS Victorious
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 03:38:28 pm »

Inspiring work Rob  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
  • What ever Floats YOUR boat
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:47:31 pm »

Good luck with that , mine was a 1/96 scale made at Rons in two halves and looked great when done but wish I had built it in 1/72 so that the aircraft were more in scale with the flight deck .

Ended up selling it as she became to heavy to transport even in two halves , and with a spine issue thought it better to part company .......but an enjoyable build none the less

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 02:32:06 am »

They do tend to get on the large size!
H.M.S Hermes by a Task Force 72 member.   He has an ex ambulance to take it around.   :embarrassed:
Mind you, you could have the U.S.S. Missouri.  Even at 1:100 it is a beast to transport and has its own trailer.  %%

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 06:58:23 am »

HI Bob more pics please an how come you dint finish her  ? an in 1/72 scale  WOW :o HOW BIG IS SHE ?  as  you are building the Q/E  now aern't you  i think as i do tend to get a bit muddled up now an then  an it looks to be a very nice model  an anything workin on her apart from motors an rudder ? yes id love to see more of her  :-))  PS AN ARE YOU GOIN TO FINISH HER ?
chris

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 08:16:11 am »

HI Bob more pics please an how come you dint finish her  ? an in 1/72 scale  WOW :o HOW BIG IS SHE ?  as  you are building the Q/E  now aern't you  i think as i do tend to get a bit muddled up now an then  an it looks to be a very nice model  an anything workin on her apart from motors an rudder ? yes id love to see more of her  :-))  PS AN ARE YOU GOIN TO FINISH HER ?
chris

I think that works out at just over 3148mm( BIG Trailer job)

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 10:01:46 am »

Nope no trailer needed, she fits nicely in the back of a Kia Magentis, with rear seats removed, (Its in two halves  :} ) so not to bad

Bob

I think that works out at just over 3148mm( BIG Trailer job)
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 10:11:31 am »

11 fot overall as a round figure, motors, rudder, 3D radar, rear lift, nav, bridge light, fog horn. so far. Lift will be rebuilt to operate as per 1/1 using scale chains.
Yes she will be finished one day :} :}
Bob

chris
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 12:05:40 pm »

OK Bob thanks for your reply fantastic model this will be when finished  :-))
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2020, 02:36:26 pm »

Chris
Some idea of her size, no 700 scale this monster  {-) {-)

Bob

I will finish this model

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 05:07:16 pm »

Bob is that a treat.  " I WILL.  finish this boat ! " ?

Glad I'm not the only one that has been down this road .......great fun and very absorbing [ I did take it up to Wickstead Park :-))        [Circa 2012 ish] .....when you lot where there many moons ago and found out that the concrete edge didn't like the stern gangways as it virtually took them off  the first time I came in ....but hey thats life :((

ivorthediver

• Ivor the Diver
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 05:11:38 pm »

While waiting for parts for CVA-01, I had a garage clear out, and took the chance to bring Vic back into the daylight, at 1/72 I had forgotten just how big she is, did a few repairs, ran the motors and sorted out her stowage, all in all a very satisfying break from the boredom.

Bob

GOD I wish I had a workshop like that , the wife would probably bring my meals and bank statements there and leave me there all day long .

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 06:27:05 pm »

Cor Bob she's a whopper an i know just how you feel hope you dont mind me postin a link pic of my build of a lifetime an its USS  NIMITZ CVN 68  in 1/144 SCALE   an about 9ft  long an my wife holdin her an yes this model also came in half for ease of transport an she sailed bueatifully  with all her 54 planes on her deck BUT HERE SHE STILL ONLY HALF BUILT ANOTHER 4 YRS OF BUILDING BEFORE SHE WAS SAILING
https://ibb.co/mHbpVYC

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 08:03:16 pm »

Glad i am not alone in building in silly size {-) {-) {-) {-)  and that's at 144 wow

Cor Bob she's a whopper an i know just how you feel hope you dont mind me postin a link pic of my build of a lifetime an its USS  NIMITZ CVN 68  in 1/144 SCALE   an about 9ft  long an my wife holdin her an yes this model also came in half for ease of transport an she sailed bueatifully  with all her 54 planes on her deck BUT HERE SHE STILL ONLY HALF BUILT ANOTHER 4 YRS OF BUILDING BEFORE SHE WAS SAILING
https://ibb.co/mHbpVYC
I will finish this model

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 08:11:00 pm »

Chris how did you secure the planes to the deck, permanent or removable?

Bob
I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2020, 08:38:38 pm »

HI Bob the planes are removeable as i fitted the planes with steel pins an then drilled 1mm holes in the deck so that the planes just clip in place an wont fall off  an for the planes with nav lights an workin engines such as the hawkeye i fitted them with gold connector plugs so they pass eletric to the planes but they can be lifted off  the carrier to be transported
chris :-))

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2020, 08:51:57 pm »

Glad i am not alone in building in silly size {-) {-) {-) {-)  and that's at 144 wow

WELL Bob  if i built her like you have in 1/72 scale NIMITZ would be about 15ft long way to big to transport an the wheight would be unmanangeable not with my back trouble as with my ships there is always someone who wants to help lift her in to the pond or out so no problem
chris

Rob47

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2020, 08:54:51 pm »

Chris
Showing the rather different material used to cover the hull and the mock up of the island

Bob

I will finish this model

frogman3

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2020, 09:10:29 pm »

OH Bob i just love the look of that monster bow just like my nimitz as in her time on the water she ran over 5 yachts an one sub as they should not have been sailing in my part of the pond  %) as the club put a rope over on my bit where the big models sail an others on the other side but no they put there models in as they wanted their models in the peoples photos an it took a fair way to stop nimitz when she got goin so crunch treid to miss them but at times not possible  an yes it looks great thats what i love about a big model plenty of size for workins an detail
chris :-))

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2020, 10:48:09 pm »

Topic renamed   :-))
"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 22 queries.