Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Drake Tail Steam Launch  (Read 4263 times)

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Drake Tail Steam Launch
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2020, 04:29:55 pm »

Hi belli,
You can build it from whatever you have available - balsa will be ok it's a small model ! 
mines only thin Liteply but with a tough outer skin of epoxy and glass fibre tissue to impart strength,
good luck with your build, please keep posting.

I was merely recounting what was supplied in the original Laughing Whale kits (around 40 years ago) -
because it was unusual to have Mahogany side and bottom skins - generally old model boat kits were skinned in plain 1/16 birch ply,
with the exceptions of Billings and Aeronaut etc.

Below is a link to the guys on Rapid Nation where you'll find an enlarged version of your model with the sharp stern, powered by twin Midwest engines -
http://www.rapidnadion.com/steam-boats.html

belli

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2020, 09:21:49 pm »

It is coming together quite well.  Balsa seems Ok at this small scale.  I'll do the sheeting in the morning.
Does anybody here have nice scan of the Midwest Fantail Launch plans??  Or a really good photo?

Cheers,

P.S.  Do you think I should have started my own thread?

carlfmiller

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boats + Model Trains + Model Planes!!
Re: Drake Tail Steam Launch--Kichen Rudder
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2020, 10:04:59 pm »

Slowly I am psyching out the Kitchen rudder with help from several posts above. Thank for those comments from Gerald, TonyH , and Mrzippy.  My thought that may have been port and starboard rudder posts was close, but still off the the mark. (but it might work)  I see the comments and now closer look at drawing and I see the drawing plan is correct, there are two servo arms each operating a rudder half, (one above the other in the plan and elevation) and the posts are co-axial. There is a mixer box added, I also had missed that!  So yes nowadays the mixer function is likely inside the radio used for V-tails airplanes.

So connecting the rudder blades to the two posts is an interesting challenge. The rudder half which is attached to the center post (3/32") can be soldered at the bottom of the post, but must have a 1/8" clearance hole at the top so it can swing around the other rudder's tube (1/8" tube on drawing). The rudder half that is mounted to the 1/8" post can be soldered at top and bottom, and this rudder must fit inside the other rudder when the Kitchen rudder is made up,  Now one servo operates the 3/32 post, the other servo operates the 1/8" tube and they swing independently. Whew.

Now with the mixer, this is very clever I thought, the two rudders can work in parallel for steering, or if the aperture between the rudders is closed at the front, this will slow the boat down, and best of all, if the aperture between the rudders is closed at the back, the rudder becomes a thrust reverser and will make the boat back up. So all this on the right stick of the radio, how neat is that.

Clearly many readers understood this from way back, and for them I state the obvious. But for this old dog this is a new trick and I think now I understand it. 

Now I am wondering about the kitchen sink?

-Carl

-Carl

steamboatmodel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2020, 01:27:42 am »

Now I am wondering about the kitchen sink?
[/size][/color]
The Kitchen Sink is when they went from full forward to full astern if the full size ones.
[/size][/color]
There are reports of the transom being pulled apart.
[/size][/color]
Gerald.
Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors--and miss. Lazarus Long

mrzippy

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2020, 10:42:25 am »

Hi belli, progress is looking great ! your are building the original kit version that is the inspiration for my Drake Tail - they are linked, please keep posting here.

Re the dreaded Kitchen Rudder (one part I'm not looking forward to tackling, I'm an ex-commercial artist, sadly not an engineer),
below is a link to an interesting article on Mayhem written by members with experience of the subject,
I'll be using their ideas for my own KR - to date sourced a short length of 42mm dia. copper pipe (a plumbers 'end feed coupler')
that may be useful for the blades.  Paul

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=45227.0
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 21 queries.