Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Amati Fifie herring drifter  (Read 2989 times)

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Amati Fifie herring drifter
« on: April 13, 2020, 10:20:22 pm »

I don’t think I will be alone during this lockdown period by starting a new model. In fact the suppliers I have spoken to seem to be enjoying a bonanza just now so it must be true about every cloud having a silver lining!
Being housebound and unable to take my recently completed “Northlight” puffer for its maiden voyage I have stuck to the Scottish theme and started an Amati “Fifie” fishing boat. Compared to the Caldercraft puffer kit this is a definitely more “Rolls-Royce” affair with detailed colour instructions, comprehensive plans with detailed parts for the various laser cut sheets and photo-etched brass sheets. There are nicely packed trays of components and strip woods are labelled for various applications. So far very impressive.
My only thought so far is the keel and formers which are all mdf and might be a problem in water. I don’t know just how well mdf performs in wet conditions.
So far I have assembled everything as far as double planking the hull and the first niggle is the opening for the prop shaft. It is 6mm and all I can source is either 4mm or 6.32mm so a little fettling required there. I am not sure it is really intended as a working model as the instructions describe a dowel prop shaft and a dummy propeller but I have given the first planking a resin coat and the interior a couple of coats of gloss paint so we will see how that works out in the bath in due course.
Thanks to all the great advice I received here for the puffer I have sourced a similar drive system so, hopefully, all will be well there.

Thoughts so far:
All the laser cut components fit together accurately and well
Hull planking is a nightmare but nothing new there. The technique is to use pva glue and brass nails for the first layer. Slight problem is the nails don’t really grip well into the mdf formers. Also the planks provided are something like 600mm and the hull is 700 mm. So they have to be spliced somehow unless possibly you insert balsa between the formers and join over them. Needless to say there is no instruction for that and I struggled on regardless. Secondary planking should be easier and, again, planks are short so I found it more effective to use 2 or 3 sections for each length and that way superglue was more effective than trying to use whole 600mm planks.

Well that’s me so far. I had a problem with Postimage with earlier photos, seemingly they’ve been hacked and clicking on images brings up unsavoury sites, so no pictures but in any case there is not a lot to see just yet.

“Cutty Sark”; “Bounty”;”Northlight” puffer;”Lifeboat B101”;”Fifie”

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Amati Fifie herring drifter
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:15:15 pm »

Hi Edinsteve .
I am in the final stages of building this model , although I found it quite enjoyable I have replaced a lot of the parts that were supplied with ones I made as I found the quality of the wood that was supplied to be low . Also I did not like the mdf that was supplied either .
I have posted quite a few pictures of my build on Facebook, if you have access you can take a look if you wish . A couple of the groups I have posted on are , seahorse model boat club & Northern Ireland model boats . Have a look if you wish .

Regards
John

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 11:41:37 am »

If left untreated MDF will soak up water and swell especially at the edges. Best to use a finishing epoxy thinned with some rubbing alcohol which will soak into the MDF and seal it when it hardens. A couple more coats of it unthinned should make it waterproof.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:33:52 pm »

Hi Paragon, tried looking at Facebook but am really pathetic with it and couldn’t find any of your posts. As for the mdf, I will wait and see if paint and resin seals it but, if not, it may finish up as a static model.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 07:54:21 pm »

In my innocence (quite some time ago  8) ) I used MDF for my keel and formers on a Brittany fishing boat. The hull formers have stood the test of time with just a thin coat of paint. However, after a year or so the keel expanded so badly it stuck in the stand. This, despite being given two coats of epoxy and several coats of paint. I effectively replaced the keel below the water line with ply and body filler. After similar waterproofing the replacement has survived now for well over 10 years.
Don't Assume Check

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 04:12:58 pm »

Progress is slow mainly down to lockdown and consequent time taken to get bits and pieces. Anyway here are some photos to date.
Inside of the hull has a few coats of paint and the outside of the first planking coated with resin in the hope of waterproofing. With an mdf keel I will have to think about sealing that, maybe fibreglass. I don’t know why they use mdf for a keel for a boat that might be put in water but there you are. When I measured the frame originally I thought a 10” propshaft would fit but later when the motor and connection arrived realised it would have to be an 8” one instead. Also access to the battery and other workings needs the supplied deck opening up. Now just waiting for primer and paint and filling all the blemishes on the planking meanwhile. Milliput works wonders.

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 05:20:34 pm »

She’s coming along great !
I really enjoyed the build . If you like I’ll post a couple of my finished one on the mayhem Facebook page .

John

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 06:44:51 pm »

That would be great Paragon. How did you get around waterproofing or did you just go for a static model?

Paragon

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 08:24:37 pm »

I put a few pictures on the mayhem Facebook page .
I used Zapoxy finishing resin on the inside of my one . It is RC with nav lights band cabin light.

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2020, 04:52:26 pm »

Progressing slowly and a bit hamstrung waiting for a propshaft and propeller for a month now. Using the time to make up some of the small bits and pieces like the dinghy etc. which will save time later on and at least the exterior painting is now done.

RST

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2020, 06:08:17 am »

Where are you ordering Your parts from?  Deliveries are very good at moment. Likes of Cornwall model boats are getting deliveries out in 2-4 days?

Rich

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2020, 07:13:32 am »

Yes, no bother getting deliveries from Cornwall or Howe’s because they use couriers but smaller places using Royal Mail have been more problematic, not their fault but the mail is obviously struggling just now.

RST

« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2020, 07:33:42 am »

....I'm getting RM in half the time as usual.  And I'm classed / treated as an Island up in Inverness! (Cornwall use RM for me). A Month still.  I suspect that whollly!!

Actually I think I offered some help via PM before but never heard back.

Rich

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2020, 02:24:56 pm »

I paid for a brass prop via paypal on 6th April and am still waiting although the site does say it can take 4 -6 weeks but on a phone call I think it was more a case of confusion than postal delays. Another told me on Tuesday (5th) that there definitely was confusion and the parts were in the post that day first class. Still waiting today(8th) and no deliveries on a Saturday due to Covid-19 so the wait goes on.
Sorry if I didn’t get back to you RST.

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2020, 02:56:14 pm »

I did plan to post how I was getting on with this kit and, as I said earlier, I have been filling in the time while waiting for orders by making up some of the deck fittings which the instructions get to later in the build. The dinghy, lifeboat, whatever took a few days and was a small version of the main model. Again the keel and spars were mdf and the hull was single-planked. Problems were with the spars which were weak and any sort of pressure resulted in them breaking. Other parts such as skylights etc were very small and fiddly and required patience from older fingers! A good pair of tweezers needed there. Finally everything needed to be stained to match the walnut wood supplied. Fortunately I had some from an earlier project otherwise would need to buy some.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 21 queries.