Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41321 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Hunter's moon build
« on: April 14, 2020, 03:57:36 pm »

Right then, the hull arrived this morning undamaged which is always nice, it needs a bit of sorting out around the top edge, but apart from that it's a beautiful hull, the kit it came with is actually more complete than I'd thought it would be, but having had a good look at it most of it will be binned the ply used is awful very loose grain and some parts are badly warped probably from years in storage, the parts are die cut probably with a worn out die, so I'll just use the ply parts for reference as I don't have a plan/drawing they weren't included with the GRP version, though I would have liked a plan as this is going to be almost semi scratch built, the bulkhead assembly came glued together and I've identified several issues with it,  joints out of line etc. it's just not worth putting right so in the bin with that, I've ordered some decent ply for the bulkheads from SLEC.UK, I'll be building it in the traditional way rather than a drop in bulkhead assembly I think I can use the deck that came with it as it will be planked over, it also came with a Graupner 700 BB motor that I won't be using as I'll be fitting brushless motors,  might come in handy if I ever build a half scale Bismarck  %% I've removed the motor mount with no damage and have to repair the shaft slot already cut as I'll be fitting twin shafts, So first off to make a cradle.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2020, 04:09:09 pm »

Good to see you're making a start on this Joe, here begins another build log to follow  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2020, 04:32:53 pm »

Great to see you building boats again Joe - I'm looking forward to this one - Happy building  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2020, 07:17:13 pm »

Thanks guys,  you know I'm still pondering over whether to fit one or two shafts, I've done a few measurements of where I'd fit two shafts fairly close together, seeing how these hulls bank in a turn and there is less than an inch between the prop blades, so I'm thinking is it really worth having two, any thoughts guys.

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 07:36:41 pm »

Whoop! Off to brew a cuppa and get some garibaldi out of the biscuit barrel  :D

I always feel sad when stuff has to be thrown away, its just such a waste when, a better quality wood, and some more time spent on the arts provided would have made a different experience for you. The motor mount looked quite nice.

Good luck and already looking forward to the series Joe  :-)) :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2020, 07:53:07 pm »

Hi ya Joe, my prop centres are 105mm apart. If we have the same hull then you should be okay?

Regards,
Ray.

Edit : 105mm is approx - can't turn my hull over at the moment for greater accuracy.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 01:02:51 pm »

Thanks for the info Ray, Yeah maybe I'm thinking of fitting them too close together over thinking the banking thing, the other consideration is a twin drive setup is twice the cost, £70 just for the two Raboesch exposed shafts, <:( Plus two brushless motors,  <:( <:( ho dear I need a lie down in a dark room %% .

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 04:10:27 pm »

After queuing for an hour at Asda for weekly shop, I made a start, repaired the slot in the hull, made a cradle, and faired in the top of the hull. it's not easy to buy non essentials these days so the cradle is bits I found in the garage it serves the purpose, Talking earlier about cost, I've been adding up the "shopping list" for the running gear etc. wow I can't believe how much stuff has gone up in the two years I've not been building boats, I suspect some of it is due to our present circumstances with increased demand,. SLEC.UK are saying they have unprecedented demand and delivery will be longer than usual though their prices are still reasonable

Shipmate60

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
  • You bark - I will bite!!!
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 04:26:51 pm »

If it was me Joe, I prefer 2 shafts, it makes the hull more stable.
Glad to see you building boats again Joe.

Bob

Officially a GOG.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 05:53:51 pm »

Yeah I think your right Bob, and I do like to build a model as per original so hang the expense two it is,  just got to decide on what brushless motors to use, not a subject I'm familiar with I've got a 1100KV outrunner  in my Deva and it's fairly quick but she's quite a bit smaller than the Huntsman so if there's any brushless experts out there I'd be grateful for any ideas, I've ordered a 50amp brushless ESC with water cooling capability so I'll most likely fit water cooling I figured if it's not needed it can't hurt.

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2020, 07:06:39 pm »

Hi Joe, if you are going for a pair of brushless, I think you will need 2 ESCs as well - I don't think you can run 2 brushless from a single ESC, although I await the expert who can correct me if I am wrong.

If you do go twin ESC, you can also invest in a P40e mixer from Action Electronics, which will make the turning a little more spritely.  (It's only money - you can't take it with you!)  I confess I have never used one, but I do have one waiting in the Deans Marine box I have under the bed - MGB 77 kit, twin brushless - snap!

Watching your Huntsman wirth interest.

Greg

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2020, 07:39:12 pm »

I'll just sit in the background with regards to brushless motors. Sorry mate but I've no experience with them. I've always used brushed motors and probably always will.
Looking forward to seeing how you get on  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2020, 08:24:17 pm »

Thanks for the info Greg I never really gave that a thought, Luckily it was only a second hand ESC .

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2020, 09:17:15 pm »

Lets be honest - twin props just look cool  8)   And Raboecsh exposed shaft props look even cooler  :-))   This is going to be good!!!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2020, 01:28:10 pm »

So I made a start, repaired the slot in the hull keel, made a cradle out of bits I found in the garage (as you can't go and buy non essential items) but it serves the purpose and faired in the top of the hull,  also after much deliberation I've decided to scrap the brushless idea and stick to what I know a pair of good old brushed motors probably around 550 to 600 after all these models come from a time before brushless motors I seem to remember brushless being used in model aircraft in the late 1990s .  One good thing is the 50 amp brushless ESC I've already bought won't be waisted, you can run brushed motors with them you just use two of the three wires.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2020, 01:51:11 pm »

Well, that cradle looks pretty strong and stable so we're off to a good start  :-)

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2020, 04:10:49 pm »

While waiting for the running gear and plywood I started to make the pair of rudders I prefer to make my own the brass blade ones are ok but I think these are more scale looking, so laminated with epoxy and tidied up I'll leave over night to harden and then profile and finish them, I'm fitting mine as the full size boat near the transom which moves the props further aft as well, I'll be using  330mm shafts plus couplings so I think I should be able to place the motors just forward of the cockpit with out a plan it's a bit of educated guessing.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2020, 04:32:49 pm »

Nice work Joe, you've certainly got the knack when it comes to making rudders.
My motors are under the driver /passenger seats, (or will be when I get that far) so pretty much the same as yours will be.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2020, 04:35:43 pm »

You'll sort it out mate  :-)) 

It looks like you made a good start. I look forward to your updates  :D
Pond weed is your enemy

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2020, 05:39:07 pm »

Great start Joe and your not hanging around either!

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2020, 06:58:28 pm »

Hi Joe - due to the thread title I didn't realise this was your Huntsman build and have only just looked in!

What's the relevance of Hunters Moon, is it to be the name of the boat?

I shall be following with interest now.

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2020, 07:45:16 pm »

Hi Chris, Yes it's to be the name of the boat I was going to give it a name befitting our present circumstances like Lockdown or Corona but thought better of it and decided to name it after Hunter's Moon caravan site we used to visit quite often when we had our caravan and dog and has many happy memories.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2020, 11:21:26 am »

Hi Joe - that's a great name for a Huntsman.

As regards twin prop shafts I suppose you are limited to some extent as it's better to exit the hull between the moulded in spray rails and hence why you are a bit close together with the props. What size props were you contemplating as obviously smaller ones would give more separation. All my Fairey builds (currently 4 in progress!) are single props though I think I'll go twin on a future build for a change and the fun of it.

As for the motor position mine have all ended up quite far forward towards the front of the cabin to keep  the prop shaft angle low at around 11 degrees. I'm using those couplings with the rubber in the middle which are quite long which doesn't help. Like you I have the rudder nearer the transom.

I think for the 1:11and 1:8 Precedent Huntsman models the motor is shown towards the rear of the cabin so your educated guess is spot on. I'll get into my work room later (smallest bedroom) which is currently full of stuff from decorating other rooms and dig out the drawings and also have a look at my Spearfish kit which is the same hull design.

I'm looking forward to finishing the decorating so that I can make quicker progress on the builds.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2020, 01:06:42 pm »

Hi Chris,    Yeah I've decided on the placement of the shafts, just outside of the bottom spray rails it makes them a tad over 80mm centers I'm virtually doing the build by photos of the real boat I've found on line, and the real boat looks similar positioning of the shafts/rudders, I've ordered a pair of 37.5mm plastic props contrarotating till I see how it performs ,I'm not looking for race boat speed just as long as she gets up on the plane, I'm using rubber bonded couplings also, I've used one in my Deva and it's very quiet running.

The decal paper has arrived at last so I'm off to do some testing.  :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2020, 04:37:24 pm »

Made some test decals and yeah quite successful put one of my Huntsman's decals on the cap of the lacquer can and added some name decals to my DIVA I can see these coming in handy, now to get on with the rudders.

Joe
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 21 queries.