Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41350 times)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2020, 06:03:05 pm »

Just the job Joe.

I managed to dig the H31 kit drawing out which is actually the Modav one, before it became Precedent. As you can see (hopefully!) the motor is about in the middle of the cabin which if the rudder is moved back would put it at the rear of the cabin.

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2020, 06:17:26 pm »

Ref the decals - well done Joe!
Did you use a standard ink-jet printer?

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2020, 06:39:57 pm »

Hi Chris looking at that drawing I'd say my running gear will be fitted around 50mm further aft so that should work out ok so thanks for that.

Hi Ray  yes standard ink jet, not an expensive one either, they do add something to a model, I've used vinyl lettering till now but never really looked that good slight variations in the spacing etc. so thanks for the head up.
Joe   :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2020, 02:18:08 pm »

Rudders now finished, now waiting for the all the gear on order from Cornwall MB, checked status last night ho dear waiting for parts form suppliers, I guess it's due to the increased business they are doing at this time it seems it's good for some businesses, Supermarkets must be raking it in, anyway my ply from Slec is coming to morrow so I can still potter about pre fitting the bulkheads I won't bond these in till I've fitted the running gear, I've dismantled the bulkhead assembly that came with the hull it was unusable as it was, so I can use the separate bulkheads as templates to make new ones, putting each one in place I've noticed just how much the hull has closed in at the top with the mid way one pushed in place it measures just on 270mm so that's about right, though I had to spread it a good half inch, it will have to be spread on all five bulkheads and faired in with the deck supports, most likely due to being stored for quite a number of years unsupported ho well it's all good fun.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2020, 02:51:20 pm »

Those rudders do look good with some shape to them rather than just flat brass.

I've ordered a prop shaft from Cornwall Model Boats and a motor from Overlander which hopefully will arrive tomorrow. Don't need them yet but getting together what I will need.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2020, 03:26:02 pm »

Hi Joe, good to see you're progressing well.
I'll try and get an update on mine late evening or sometime tomorrow  %)

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2020, 03:34:02 pm »

Yes come on Ray do keep up  %) {-)

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2020, 03:55:57 pm »

The new plywood came yesterday excellent quality and so much stronger that the stuff in the kit, you can snap that between you fingers with very little effort, so I have now made and dry fitted the new bulkheads, I've had to temporarily glue some spreaders athwartships to hold the hull to the correct beam measurement to aid fitting the bulkheads the deck edges will be faired in with the deck support strips, so now I'm waiting for the gear from Cornwall MB and their suppliers.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2020, 04:03:31 pm »

Nice work Joe, looks like it's going to be a strong hull by the time you get the subdeck on  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2020, 05:14:17 pm »

I have to agree its looking good - I've never built a boat like this.  Do you have to fit stringers to the bulkheads or will the hull retain that shape?

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2020, 07:15:25 pm »

Hi Mark,  It's a very robust hull and once the bulkheads are bonded in to spread the top of the hull to correct beam a solid length of 1/4" square hardwood strip will be glued in place in the notches cut in the bulkheads around the top this will even out the hull between the bulkheads, making a very strong hull.

Joe.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2020, 06:32:55 am »

That makes sense thanks Joe - The bulkheads you have made look far more substantial than those supplied in the kit.  A nice upgrade  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2020, 11:29:46 am »

Funnily enough though, there are more bulkheads than in the all timber version. I suppose there needs to be to maintain the correct shape of the hull. There isn't a keel though and crucially less timber in the bow which is good as these boats tend to be nose heavy.

Some builders like to build light but I think that a bit of weight in a boat means it sits better on the water and is less affected by ripples etc.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2020, 02:09:34 pm »

Well there's actually only four bulkheads and a partial one near the transom it may look more because of the temporary spreaders, I'm always surprised just how buoyant model hulls are whilst I'm always mindful of weight mostly above deck,  I don't skimp on bulkheads because I know when finished it'll likely need lead ballast anyway.

Shipment from CMB is on it's way minus the Alphatic glue for some reason ( could it be people hoarding)  >:-o ha well I don't need that yet.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2020, 02:22:25 pm »

Oh right, I see. The prop shaft for the Huntsman arrived from CMB yesterday but I'm still waiting for the motor from Overlander. Must get some lightweight cloth though as I've run out.

Reading your thread makes me want to kit the Spearfish kit out but really I've got enough builds on the go at the moment! We'll see.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2020, 03:13:07 pm »

Hi Chris  Having more than one boat in build at the same time is something I just can't do, I have to get my head round a build so I know what and how I'm going to tackle various things before I even get to them and see it though to the finish.

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2020, 05:31:48 pm »

Hi Chris  Having more than one boat in build at the same time is something I just can't do, I have to get my head round a build so I know what and how I'm going to tackle various things before I even get to them and see it though to the finish.

Joe

Funny that I'm the same as you Joe I can only work on one build at a time it takes all of my concentration.  If you do get stuck and cannot get any aliphatic resin let me know and I'll post you some somehow.  I've got a big bottle and I'm not going to use it all before the shops open again  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2020, 05:45:59 pm »

Mark, thank you for your kind offer, I won't be needing the Aliphatic for some time it was mainly for the decking, but if I do get stuck ( no pun intended)  %) I will certainly take you up on it.  :-))

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2020, 04:07:01 pm »

The running gear came today, so now the fun begins decisions to make and holes to drill,  today I've preparing the motors and shafts for installation, as a plus I've done a quick positioning assessment of the power trains and it places the motors right in the forward cabin just where I wanted them. :-))

Joe

swiftdoc

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2020, 04:36:00 pm »

Hi Joe,

Good to see you back on the track :-))  I will follow your build with great interest. What kind of couplings do you use, it looks like a flexible joint in the middle?

Keep up the good work, one can feel the enthusiasm you have when reading your blog.

Kindest regards

Arno

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2020, 06:07:12 pm »

Hi Arno,  yes the couplings are bonded rubber type I used one on my last Springer they are quiet running and easier to fit, though I like to use a home made aligning tool and then fit the couplings. 

Take care.     Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2020, 06:10:54 pm »

Joe

I suppose part of it is that I used to be a project manager in the building industry so having multiple builds on the go is second nature. Having said that I failed miserably with the project management of my models as I got two to the painting stage last year but left it too late to paint outside and another stalled at the planking of the deck stage and as it was winter I just started another! Hopefully I can paint all four at once.

Seeing your double prop etc. set-up I've definitely got to have a go at that! Either in the aforementioned Spearfish or a Huntsman 31.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2020, 06:34:23 pm »

my old brain likes things simple these days so one at a time for me, although I am trying to finish some paint by numbers paintings I was given four as a birthday present last year and as it's my birthday next Tuesday I'm trying to get the last one done.

Yeah go for twin shafts I'm using Raboesch  330mm x 4mm exposed shafts and p-brackets  pricey but they do look cool  :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: April 27, 2020, 04:02:39 pm »

Shafts and P brackets now installed after a lot of thought I've fitted them just inboard of the bottom spray rail makes them 80mm centres, which looks similar to a photo of the full size boat, I've allowed enough room to fit up to 45mm props, just waiting on some brass tubing for the rudder tubes and to make up a longer aligning tool as the flexi couplings are longer than the last ones I fitted.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: April 27, 2020, 06:08:20 pm »

Correction to above the shafts are fitted just outboard of the bottom spray rails.

Joe
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 22 queries.