Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41318 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #75 on: May 16, 2020, 02:53:36 pm »

That's a really neat installation job Joe, you've come a long way in a couple of weeks.
Following as always...

Regards,
Ray.

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2020, 06:41:34 pm »

Coming along nicely Joe, always neat and tidy.  I hope the finger is healing nicely.

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: May 16, 2020, 06:53:08 pm »

That's a really neat installation job Joe, you've come a long way in a couple of weeks.
Following as always...

Regards,
Ray.

Yep and me - lovely job very neat and tidy which harder said than done 👍

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: May 16, 2020, 07:24:22 pm »

Thanks guys always appreciated, yes the finger is healing well Greg much quicker than I had thought seeing as virtually all the skin on the top of the finger had been torn and nearly peeled off, I just pushed it back in place and put several plasters round it, should probably have had stitches really but hospital is the last place I want to be at the moment, but it's knitted back together nicely. :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2020, 04:02:59 pm »

While waiting for some bits to complete the running gear, I thought I might as well bond the deck down, as it doesn't restrict access, and it's not a favorite part of the build there is so many areas to spread the epoxy I always get the feeling it will start to set before I get all the clamps and tape in place even though I used 30 minute epoxy, I don't know why it's never happened yet, I also started to cut out the cabin parts after getting a rough idea of the shape from the unusable die cut ply parts that came with the hull, I use the word ply very loosely it's flakey and brittle how anyone would have been able to build a decent model from the load ***$$$** is just beyond me it would have put a novice builder right off that's for sure. well on to another non favorite job cutting out the windows in 1.5 mm birch ply.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: May 19, 2020, 04:44:27 pm »

Made a start cutting out the windows it's hard going with a scalpel but is a lot neater than my scroll saw would do, had to rest my hand after one side, so I fitted the access upstands.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #81 on: May 19, 2020, 05:15:22 pm »

Cracking on with it Joe, despite the injury, and looking good.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: May 19, 2020, 10:15:39 pm »

Looking good Joe, just wish I hadn't started mine now coz your methods are so much better.
Still, it is what it is... just finished laying the deck planking - what a mess!
I'll put a couple of photos up on my build log tomorrow  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2020, 10:56:57 pm »

Thanks guys,  Ray we may do things in different ways but there's nothing wrong with yours you've done a cracking job especially when you consider what you started with, my hull was a clean sheet so to speak.

Joe.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2020, 11:08:31 pm »

Thanks Joe, you're analysis is correct. Just feeling a bit naff today... I'll bounce back tomorrow after a visit to our allotment, which always seems to lift my spirits - talking of spirits, I'm off to crack a bottle of whisky open now  O0 ;)

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2020, 01:52:06 pm »

Finished cutting out the windows and thought it was a good time to cut the "glazing" and pre fit to each window as snugly as I could the margin between for the glazing in the window frames is quite tight, after a lot of tidying I found the die cut frames were not that bad all the grain break out was no the waste side so that saved me some more cutting out so now the glazing has been packed and marked till after painting.
so now I've been making and preparing the components for the cabins structure, if I've marked everything right and glued the fillets in the right places it should assemble on the hull ok, we'll see, the last bits for the running gear came so was able to complete that and test it always nice to hear everything burst into life, so another dip in the tub and I dare not touch the throttle she would have leapt out the slopey end of the bath one things for sure I won't need a 3S lipo, the 4000 2S lipo used for the test was more than adequate.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2020, 03:05:44 pm »

Good job on them window frames, should look good as a finished article.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2020, 03:14:38 pm »

Hi Joe. You're certainly motoring on and it's looking very nice.

Once on the water you might have to revise your thoughts on the battery. I've got a Huntress 23 which is smaller and lighter and whilst it goes pretty well on a 2S it could do with a touch more speed now and then so I'm going to move up to a 3S. Depends on what revs you get out of the motors though for the voltage.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2020, 06:19:51 pm »

You may be right Chris, A lake is a lot different to a bath tub what with wind and waves etc. but I got an idea that there was a lot of thrust even holding on to the hull I only chanced half throttle which turned the bath into a violent caldron, the 4000 2S lipo is being sited under the cockpit floor there will be room for a 3S if necessary.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2020, 03:54:17 pm »

After preparing all the cabin components it was time to assemble and glue in place and with a fair bit of satisfaction it all went together nicely, she's now looking like a Huntsman, the air scoops will be operational via a void formed by the cockpit sides thus allowing air into the hull, the two corner gussets in the forward cabin are partly for bracing plus under them will be the hold down magnets,

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: May 25, 2020, 03:44:22 pm »

I realized I had made the cockpit too deep based on a figure of approx  6" tall, which meant the cabin roof would be level with the figures chin, so judging from photos it seemed the roof would be at a mans chest so luckily I hadn't fitted the cockpit floor yet so I cut 20mm off the bottom and redid the floor bearers, also my cockpit is smaller than it should be I made a boob with the center bulkhead and positioned it 20mm too far aft, ho well I can live with that, now getting on with the cabins.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2020, 02:17:39 pm »

Having finally decided to use a lipo battery I could make the battery housing, fits nicely under the cockpit floor I'm initially using a 2S lipo I already had but have made the housing able to take a 3S version of this popular Turnigy lipo, I've mounted the battery on edge if it were flat the orientation of the cables could foul the coupling and even on edge the battery is still below the water line so not too bothered about CG.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: May 27, 2020, 04:21:49 pm »

Cabin roofs now on, had to do the forward one in two panels due to the compound curves and to finish the roofs off the cockpit wall capping's,  so now waiting on some more wood from Slec for the deck and trimmings etc. so I made the helm wheel not my best effort to date but well from a distance should do.

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #93 on: May 27, 2020, 05:18:33 pm »

You certainly have the bit between your teeth Joe.  Careful, you'll be finished before we are allowed to go sail our boats.  Then you'll have to start another one!

Greg

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2020, 05:57:43 pm »

Ref the saloon tops, same problem as I had, - different solution but end result looks okay to me.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2020, 05:01:16 pm »

just waiting on a delivery of the deck trims and another 1.5mm birch ply from Slec, I ran out of 1.5 ply so still have the cockpit floor to do, glad really because I would have glued it in place but had time to think it will be easier to spray paint inside the cockpit with the floor left out so I'll just fit it dry for now, so while waiting I started pottering with the cockpit furniture.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: May 30, 2020, 04:19:51 pm »

I mounted the air scoops these were a vacform that was in the box with the hull, I wasn't going to use them but they are quite sturdy so I thought I would cut them out and see what they looked like, after a bit of trimming and sanding they weren't too bad and as the cabin sides will be white they shouldn't stand out too much, also started the mahogany deck trimming.

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: May 30, 2020, 04:28:25 pm »

Lovely job Joe and I really like your ships wheel I think its turned out great.  What wood are you going to use on the deck to complement the mahogany trimming?  Are you going to use a lighter colour?

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #98 on: May 30, 2020, 04:57:35 pm »

Joe
When I first saw the photo of the new SLEC kit for H31 @ 1/8 scale on their website I wondered if they'd used the scoop moulding from the 1/16 scale one by mistake. It's much too small. Check out the various Huntsman 31 photos on the Fairey Owners Club gallery before you decide to paint the model. Leaving it like that would surely spoil an otherwise excellent model.  https://faireyownersclub.co.uk/default.asp?content=boats&type=huntsman31&photo=13
If you send me your regular E-Mail address by PM then I can send a copy of the original plan, showing the correct size scoop.
Dave M

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: May 30, 2020, 06:03:46 pm »

Hi Mark, I'm using Tanganyka strip wood for the planking or at least I'm going to attempt it, I chose that because it put me in mind of old teak so there will be a contrast between the deck and the mahogany capping.

Dave thanks for your input and of course you are absolutely right the scoop is not only too small it's also the wrong shape, as I said I wasn't going to use it, I just convinced myself it looked ok but it would have bugged the hell out of me, I originally thought I would try and make something that looked close to the later larger more rectangular air scoops which I actually prefer, so the small scoops are going and thanks again for the prompt.

Can anyone let me know the depth of the cockpit on the 1:11 version I'm still not convinced I've got it right the floor is still loose so I can easily alter it.

Joe

Joe
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.