Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41310 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #100 on: May 30, 2020, 06:28:21 pm »

Hi ya Joe, I just nipped out and measured the depth of the cockpit floor on my model - 4.5" - but I haven't got a clue what it should be  :embarrassed:
The mahogany capping on yours looks like it's supposed to  :-)) .
Also agree about the air intakes  :-) .

Regards,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #101 on: May 30, 2020, 06:35:52 pm »

Joe I had to google that wood as I've never heard of it before but it looks lovely.  I think your end result could look very subtle and also very nice.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #102 on: May 30, 2020, 06:41:47 pm »

Thanks for that Ray I've just popped up and measured mine 4 3/8" so that will do for me.   :-))

Joe.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #103 on: May 30, 2020, 06:58:40 pm »

Joe
Revised 1/11 scale plan on its way. There were two very different shapes of airscoops used on H31, depending on the engines fitted. The elliptical ones were the earlier version e.g. "Johmad", which was the boat modelled in the original kit.
Dave M

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2020, 12:02:27 pm »

Hi Joe

Looking to be a really nice boat. Totally agree about the air intakes being too small. In those drawings I posted earlier in the thread the outer lines are of the size required.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2020, 01:04:42 pm »

Yeah the small air scoops are going and I'm going to attempt to make the later large rectangular air handlers, not sure how I'm going to do them yet but I'll have a bash.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2020, 04:55:57 pm »

well it turned out to be a very satisfying afternoon, after a lot of head scratching I came up with a design for the air scoops based on a couple for photos, and I have to say I'm quite pleased with the result, they still pass air to the inside of the hull, there is a baffle in them that stops the air just passing though,  the paper on the deck is a template for the sub decks I was working on before the air scoops but had to leave the deck while I was in air scoop mode  {-) 

Joe

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2020, 05:01:48 pm »

Beautiful woodwork Joe   :-)
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2020, 05:07:19 pm »

Wow! Love the look of that one Joe, just the job (hmm, now where did I put my scrap plastic) good work and practical to boot  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2020, 06:09:46 pm »

8) Dave M

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2020, 08:59:31 pm »

They certainly look the part Joe. First model I've seen with that style of air intake.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #111 on: June 02, 2020, 12:01:27 pm »

I made the port air intake and finished them both to a smooth finish, I think I'll  set these aside till the painting's done I've had a change of mind about the paint scheme and now it's going to be mid blue to under the water line and cabin sides and white to the cabin roofs and the air intakes I've seen a photo of this scheme and quite like it though that one had a blue transom I'll keep mine white.

so back to the decks, using the paper template I cut the sub decks out of .8mm birch ply and eventually got a reasonable fit to both sides as it turned out I'm glad I decided to do the decks this way it proved to be a lot easier to do the planking as you can clamp each plank in place and run thin cyarno under the plank it only took yesterday afternoon to do both sides, then today I gave them a scrape to remove the inevitable smudges of glue and then a rub down with 180grit and 600grit and quite pleased with them, now just need to glue them in place, I didn't worry too much about the deck calking I'd rather the joints weren't too obvious though they will stand out a bit more once sealed.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #112 on: June 02, 2020, 02:23:41 pm »

And another first Joe, I've never seen deck planking done off the boat! Should look great.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #113 on: June 03, 2020, 11:05:10 am »

Well the planking was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be partly because you are able to use clamps to hold the planks in place and because you don't have to fit the ends of the planks, just let them over run at the ends and trim off when the whole sub deck is done, the long tapered plank on the inside can also be allowed to over hang and trim when finished, next I glued the sub decks in place I used Aliphatic for this so I had to be quick but turned out ok,  with the last layer of the deck in place I was able to fit the hold down magnets these work very well you can feel the cabin structure being pulled in place,  I'm about ready to start the painting now but not sure if Halfords are fully open at the moment to go in and chose the colors and spray paints etc. when I went there about three weeks ago the shop only had a desk and till at the door and you told the guy what you wanted and he went and got it for you, not so good for choosing colors etc. I'll check tomorrow when we do our shop at Morrisons close by to Halfords.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #114 on: June 03, 2020, 11:45:13 am »

I think you're being modest Joe! To do the planking off boat and to get it to fit as well as that is craftmanship. I agree about the caulking or lack of? I've been musing on and off about the best way to do it and I reckon at this scale that the narrower joints look right.

It is going to look lovely when painted and varnished.

Chris

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #115 on: June 03, 2020, 12:08:49 pm »

Joe, Halfords do a click and collect scheme if you know the names of the colours you want.  On the other hand, if you're like me and just stand there and go "Oh, that's nice, I'll have that one", I guess you need access to the paint rack.  O0

Lovely job on the decks.  Your pace of building puts me to shame!

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #116 on: June 03, 2020, 06:03:15 pm »

Thanks for your kind comments guys, yeah there are a lot of shades of blue so being able to choose would be best, if Halfords are still selling at their door I suppose I could ask the guy to bring me all the blue spray cans they have so I can chose  %) but I think the response would be unprintable, {-) {-)

Joe.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #117 on: June 03, 2020, 07:29:44 pm »

Roof - Ford Olympic Blue OR Appliance Gloss White as per hull;
Hull - Appliance Gloss White;
Cabin sides - Fiat Capri Blue OR Ford Royal Blue. I can't tell the difference.
Hull below W/L - Satin Black
Works for me.

Dave M

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #118 on: June 03, 2020, 10:54:36 pm »

Cheers Dave, I had  Appliance White in mind for the cabin roofs/cockpit it's what I used on my Diva, if Halfords are not fully open tomorrow I may well ask for the ford Royal Blue sounds like it will do nicely.  :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #119 on: June 04, 2020, 03:26:53 pm »

Halfords still just has a till at the door and there was a queue it looked like being a long winded affair so I decided to do it by click and collect when I got home that was easy enough and I got a text just over an hour later to pick up, now the trouble is they don't have a dedicated click and collect pick up so I had to join the queue anyway and at about 10 minutes per customer that was also a long winded affair still I've now got the paint for when it's needed, I've started coating the decks and going for gloss varnish on the Mahogany trims and capping's, I say varnish it's actually Birchwood Casey True Oil gun stock finish that I've used on several rifle stock refurbishing It's very hard wearing and gives a lovely finish I'll give it 5 coats and see how it looks, the planking will have a couple of coats of thinned matt varnish.

Joe

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #120 on: June 04, 2020, 03:54:04 pm »

Looking good, my man.

I favour Rustin's Plastic Coating for varnishing wood decks. It's a 2-pack intended for furniture and sets up very hard indeed; it also sands and buffs up beautifully. I imagine the stuff you use will also be very hard and shiny, being made for gun stocks.

I too got stuck in the single 'Click-and-Collect + Everyone Else' queue at our local Halford's. It makes you wonder why they bother. However if you really enjoy being treated like you don't matter a tinker's cuss then try the well-known High Street pharmacy chain whose name starts with a B - I'm still seething! One day they might sort out their dreadful jobs-worth shop staff; a policy of one customer only at a time in the entire shop (3000sq ft), and a website that falls over at Checkout i.e. after you've waited three hours to place an order - but it will be without my custom.

BTW for anyone contemplating buying this kit, from today SLEC have a set of the correct size-and-shape scoop masters for vac forming so all future kits will have something that looks more like a pair of airscoops than two peas on a snare drum.

DaveM

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #121 on: June 04, 2020, 05:49:54 pm »

Cheers Dave, Yeah trying times indeed to get stuff for modelling or anything for that matter, good to hear Slec have upgraded the air scoops, I'm so glad I didn't use the vac form ones.

Joe.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #122 on: June 04, 2020, 07:20:58 pm »

I forgot to say that the revised scoops are for the 1/8 scale (47") kit which is currently made and sold by SLEC. Joe's model is the 1/11 scale version which is no longer available.
DM

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #123 on: June 04, 2020, 07:45:50 pm »

That's right Dave mine is the 1970s Precedent 1:11 Huntsman 31 kit  I bought for the Grp hull, just about all the rest of the contents was awful but what I paid for it was well worth it, the hull was actually very good.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #124 on: June 04, 2020, 10:57:12 pm »

Hi Joe

As regards the planking, can I ask where you got the tanganyka from? Did you buy it in strips, and if so how thick? And did you steam it to shape?

Cheers, Chris
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.091 seconds with 22 queries.