Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41325 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #150 on: June 09, 2020, 02:36:24 pm »

Great work Joe, they look like they belong there - well done mate.

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #151 on: June 09, 2020, 02:48:58 pm »

Cheers Ray and thanks again for the introduction to water slides.  :-))

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #152 on: June 09, 2020, 05:19:34 pm »

They look the dogs danglies! And finish off the model beautifully.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #153 on: June 11, 2020, 04:36:07 pm »

Thanks Chris,
finished off the paint work and mounted the air intakes, I'm now pottering with the cockpit furniture just doing my own thing I doubt it will look like the real deal but it's all good fun, I've been trying to simulate the seating I was going to try and use some fine cloth but thought as it's a fast boat the cockpit will probably get at least some water in it so I've tried to simulate a vinyl seat in styrene may look ok from a distance :o  anyway next I'll be fitting the "glazing" this should be fun, {:-{

Joe

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #154 on: June 11, 2020, 06:13:57 pm »

Very nice build and detailing Joe, looking good..!

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #155 on: June 11, 2020, 09:19:34 pm »

Wow Joe, I miss watching for a few weeks and you have her almost done! Lots of things to like on this build, especially the scoops and the off deck planking technique. I will copy that some  :}

Again, you have built an inspiring model of the highest quality. It's folk like you that made Mayhem a joy to come back to after a bit of an enthusiasm famine.

Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2020, 03:55:28 pm »

Thanks for the comments guys always appreciated,  I managed to get the glazing done today I wasn't looking forward to that the rebates formed by the window frames are very small so a had to be very careful what glue I used, in the end I held the windows in place and used Rocket Hot penetrating cyano and I mean very carefully a little at a time it ran into the rebate and worked very well only had one small smudge that I managed to polish out with jewellers paste, so now to fit out the cockpit and probably a hatch of sorts on the forward roof.

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2020, 08:28:31 pm »

Look at the polish on that hull  :-)) It looks positively like a sunny day on the Solent sat there Joe
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2020, 04:40:51 pm »

Yeah I thought I would keep the topsides the original gelcoat didn't seem worth spraying it white as it was in nice condition for the age of the hull, there's a couple of marks but not that noticeable.

the cockpit furniture is taking shape it will be painted white apart from the trimming then I need to make the seat pads and back rests.

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2020, 04:45:56 pm »

Very very nice Joe  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2020, 06:47:56 pm »

Lovely, especially the logos on the intakes.  Love 'em.

Greg

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2020, 02:02:46 pm »

Just been catching up with the forum - That is such a lovely job Joe it looks simply stunning.  The decals are on another level  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #162 on: June 16, 2020, 04:55:10 pm »

Thanks Mark,, Got the first coat of paint on the cockpit furniture I thought I would paint by brush, too much fiddly masking to spray, going though my paint stock it seems a lot of the pots have had it well they are very old and one of them was the gloss white so I need to order a few colors, in the mean time I've been making the fore and aft companion ways, Mahogany frame doors with Rosewood panels also went off on a bit of a tangent because I kept thinking of a way to make the mast so I made it while as I was thinking of it, three pieces of 1.5mm Mahogany laminated with a captive treaded rod to fix it the bottom back half I've left flat as this supports the windscreen.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #163 on: June 17, 2020, 02:58:59 pm »

I started to make a list of the little paint pots and really only needed two of tree so it was either CBM and such a small order the postage they understandably have to charge I felt wasn't worth it, or E-bay where the post was free but the paint pots were three times the price, so as I had some of the white spray left from the cabin roofs the fiddly masking seemed the best way to go they are now being left to cure before permanently fitting them in place.

Got the two companion ways finished and now to polish them with gunstock finish that should bring out the grain nicely.

Joe

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #164 on: June 17, 2020, 08:01:55 pm »

Lovely work Joe  :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

Fastfaz

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #165 on: June 17, 2020, 09:16:59 pm »

Nice job Joe, very impressive. Did you make the ship's wheel or buy it? I need two similar to yours for my project, any suggestions as to where I can source them? They need to be approximately 20 mmm ish in diameter.
      Cheers, Pete.  :-)) :-)) :-))

RST

« Reply #166 on: June 17, 2020, 09:28:22 pm »

Great work with the deck. I don't think I could have had the patience to do that so neatly!  I just took hold of an order for no fume cyano for doing my windows.  Wasn't brave enough to try it without and I thought other glues at my disposal might give other problems.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #167 on: June 18, 2020, 11:15:19 am »

Pete yes I made the ships wheel I try to make as many items as I can not because I'm tight I just get a kick out of it especially if the item turns out good enough to use, I recon you could get a wheel from www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk it's just a bit of a pain going though all the listings of different brands  {:-{

RST  how wise you are to get some fume free cyano, I thought about it but as I already had the Rocket didn't bother but soon wished I had working close up on the inside of the cabin top the next day I had a sore nose and a slight headache all day, next time it'll be fume free cyano. :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #168 on: June 19, 2020, 04:48:26 pm »

polishing the companion ways today and be tween coats I've been making the seat pads, I scrapped the two original pads I thought I put too much round on the corners so these ones just have the corners and edges softened a bit , the seat pads are left unpainted apart from the blue "pipping" I think the natural styrene finish looks a bit like the white vinyl I'm trying to simulate, now starting to fix furniture in place.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #169 on: June 20, 2020, 05:06:19 pm »

I got up this morning with roof vents on my mind, I don't know why but anyway off on another tangent, thought about it for a while and decided on simple mushroom vents for the fore and aft heads, I formed the "mushroom" with a bit of tube and an old aircraft alloy spinner with the tube in the vise I placed a piece of 0.5 styrene over the end and heated the alloy spinner then pushed the styrene into the end of the the tube, it took a few goes to get the heat right, but got a couple of reasonable ones, then found a couple of spare portholes that did for the bases, I think they make reasonable vents, I'll paint they white I don't want them to stand out too much.

Joe                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »

Companionways almost ready to fit, while polish dries I started on the fore cabin hatch I thought about making a plain Mahogany one like the companionway tops, but as I found a small piece of lexan left from the windows I use it in the hatch with a wood surround painted silver to kind of look like alloy, I didn't want to cut a hole in the roof so I painted the inside of the faring base dark grey to look like a darkened cabin, tomorrow I'll fit the companion ways.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #171 on: June 24, 2020, 01:39:01 pm »

The more I look at that hatch the less I like it, it's too small and too chunky so I'll make another one a bit larger and without the lexan I seen a lot of different types of hatches on the 31s some have "glazing" and some are just hardwood, I have some 1.5mm Mahogany left so I'll make one and see what it looks like before I remove the current one, but for now the companionways are ready to fit, I'll leave the helm loose to do some more work on.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2020, 03:44:26 pm »

Made the morse control last night, now have a couple of fingernails shorter than the rest %% the waterslide decals came in handy again on the instrument panel could have cut it out of paper but I think the decals look neater, so I've just glued the console in place, you may notice the holes in the cockpit side these are for the windscreen I've bee pottering with now and then, it was a die cut piece of lexan in the box with the hull and that and the windows are the few things I didn't bin, being die cut I didn't imagine it would be any thing like a fit to the scratch build cabins but with a fair bit of trimming I'm nearly there.       

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #173 on: June 26, 2020, 04:07:25 pm »

Fitted the new hatch much happier with this one, and finally prepped the windscreen ready for fitting, I say finally because it been a bit of a ##### to fit,  the bottom edge changes shape as it's wrapped around the contours of the roof camber but it's as close as I can get it, I'll fit it tomorrow as I've just glued the hatch.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #174 on: June 27, 2020, 01:42:33 pm »

I been waiting for some  0x9mm brass cs screws for fixing the windscreen, they came at last took 10 days for some reason, anyway windscreen now fitted, and with just the deck fittings to do I thought it was time for a second float test the first was just the hull and running gear, she sits bang on her water line and not the hint of a list, no ballast of trimming needed, never had that happen before, and the indications are the 30mm brass props from my spares box could well do the job a burst of throttle nearly had her bows up the slope of the bath now I need to trawl though the fittings lists on CBM to find suitable cleats, fairleads etc. I doubt I'll find any 1:11 so 1;12 would probably do, I think she might look better with a skipper too, large scale boats with open cockpits don't look right running without someone at the helm, have to see what I can find.

Joe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 23 queries.