Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41330 times)

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #200 on: June 30, 2020, 10:53:49 pm »

Just done a catch up on your build Joe and Wow, that has to be the neatest windscreen I've seen so far.
The pulpit seems to cause problems for a lot of people but you'll find a way that looks right  O0 .

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #201 on: July 01, 2020, 08:03:47 am »

The pulpit's already done Ray on the previous page,, do keep up that man.  {-) O0 {-)

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #202 on: July 01, 2020, 02:06:41 pm »

I liked the look of the shiny silver pulpit but I don't think the steel would have faired too well in the wet stuff especially in the salt lagoons of Walpole Park, I did think of clear lacquer but it only needs a scratch for rust to set in,  so I've given it a couple of undercoats and I found a half empty met silver spray in the garage that was enough for four coats, I'll give it a couple of coats of lacquer for good measure, the ferrules on the feet are the ones that come with servos just big enough to cover the mounting holes, it will be permanently bonded to boat if she's pounding the waves there's a good chance it'll jump off if left removable.

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #203 on: July 01, 2020, 04:14:51 pm »

That's a good idea ref the ferrules - duly noted for future reference.  ;)

Regards,
Ray.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #204 on: July 01, 2020, 08:11:30 pm »

Sometimes we can over complicate things and do the things we are trying to prevent by accident!

Lovely work as ever Joe  :-)) :-)) :-))
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #205 on: July 01, 2020, 10:56:40 pm »

Thanks Ian, 
well I've drawn a blank searching for deck fittings to suit a Huntsman, so it looks like I've no option but to try and make masters and cast some, my stock of mould and casting materials have long past there shelf life I binned what was left of the resin months ago and the catalyst for the mould rubber has dried up, so I've ordered some more materials, a bit costly for a few fittings but heck it's fun to do and who knows what I'll do next.  ok2

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #206 on: July 02, 2020, 04:15:26 pm »

I've been having a bit of fun today making the master deck fittings ready for when the casting materials get here, they were very fiddly but enjoyable to see what I could come up with, the good thing about the masters is they can be made out of anything, wood, plastic, metal or a combination of them,  as you can imagine these are quite fragile so I'll probably make a mould of the cleat and crucifix bollard and take a casting then refine the detail on the casting,  then make another mould using the casting as the master, these two moulds will have to be semi split moulds to help extraction of the casting, the fairlead master is one I made quite a while ago for another model I'm going to take a casting of it to see if it can be used, this one dose not have to be split as it can be extracted easily.

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #207 on: July 02, 2020, 06:55:14 pm »

Lovely work Joe this is such a nice build to follow  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #208 on: July 03, 2020, 03:14:37 pm »

Thank you Mark,    my casting materials come this morning, great service from Easy Composites, so I've got the cleat and bollard curing in the silicone rubber 24 hour cure time so I'll see how they turn out tomorrow, and I took a casting of the fairlead that was made for my 1:48 MCMV Brocklesby to see if it could be used, it's around 2 feet long at 1:48 and will be around 6 to 7 inches on this boat, It didn't look too bad for length but I thought I would reduce the width a bit so it didn't look too heavy, possibly a little high but I think it will do, it was fiddly enough making this one let alone a lower one, I've got some chrome paint ordered for the deck fittings that I hope will look ok, I'm using Zencast P6 toughened polyurethane resin that sets to a translucent white, it is a vast improvement on the last resin I used that was yellow and quite brittle when set.

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #209 on: July 04, 2020, 02:11:39 pm »

Coming along nicely Joe.  Regarding the fairlead being too high, could you simply file off the top/horns and a little of the sides and add a new, lower top?  Easy for me to say, a bit trickier in practice I guess.  Still, it will look great whatever you do.  :-)) :-))

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #210 on: July 04, 2020, 03:31:27 pm »

Hi Greg. Thanks for your suggestion,  I looked again at the fairlead, the top of the "hooks" were quite thick so I sanded a bit off to make them thinner the difference in the height is subtle but definitely better, the new toughened resin I'm using is a lot stronger than the old stuff and these little fittings are actually quite strong, 

Joe

T888

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #211 on: July 04, 2020, 04:08:03 pm »

Joe, nice to see your still making and casting fittings. I must say not had any issue with the resin I use, it can be sanded quick after de moulding and is very hard after a day. Yes it is not cheap but works well. Nice non grey build Junior  %%
Regards David

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #212 on: July 05, 2020, 08:41:42 pm »

Thanks Dave,  Yes I find casting quite fascinating to see what I can do, the old resin I used was fine but this zencast P6 has more tensile strength.

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #213 on: July 06, 2020, 04:42:29 pm »

In between making the deck fittings I challenged myself to make one of those ubiquitous s/s roof vents, we used to call them Force4 vents where I used to work, so anyway here it is, made up but laminating various thicknesses of styrene the main body is three pieces of 1.5mm styrene 22mm diameter glued together with a hole though the center with a nut and bolt in it and spun in a Dremel and shaped with the edge of a craft blade and obviously holes drilled round the edge, the rest is made up of 0.5mm styrene and a lot of fiddly sanding, the inside of the holes will be painted black and the rest silver.

Joe

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #214 on: July 06, 2020, 05:13:03 pm »

Thats nice Joe - A nice little side line would be selling these mouldings to other Huntsman builders  ok2

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #215 on: July 06, 2020, 08:17:58 pm »

Smart work as always Joe. The new reinforced resin sounds like a good product.
Pond weed is your enemy

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #216 on: July 07, 2020, 12:08:12 pm »

This morning I'm preparing the roof vent to make a mould, It will have to be carefully filled with the silicon so air isn't trapped in those holes, we'll see how it comes out tomorrow.
I wasn't happy with the cross cleats so I've decided to use the anvil cleats I made for my Diva, Diva is a smaller boat than the Huntsman so the cleats could be a similar scale, I've started to paint the fairleads with the Humrol chrome paint not that impressed really, I prefer the metalic silver.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2020, 04:44:09 pm »

The mould for the vent came out fine with all holes intact, and the first casting was ok too, I only need two of these but casting was easier than trying to make two identical vents plus I've as many as I want for future use,  also made the ensign staff deck fitting today.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2020, 06:09:29 pm »

Pity your model is a different scale to mine!

Nice work as usual Joe.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #219 on: July 09, 2020, 11:34:58 am »

Thanks Chris,  if you think about it up to a point deck fittings are quite scale tollerant, the fairlead was made for a 1:48 scale but for me dosen't look out of place on this scale, the 9" roof vent  in full size could be fitted to say a 14 foot cabin boat or a 50 foot cabin cruiser, I could fit one to my smaller Diva but would look silly on my 1:48 mcmv.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #220 on: July 09, 2020, 04:13:11 pm »

After a few days of making moulds and casting I now have all the deck fittings painted and ready to fit,  I'll leave them over night to let the paint harden a bit more.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2020, 04:18:02 pm »

Made the ensign staff and did all the deck fittings today, the staff is quite vulnerable at the stern so I made it removable and will be stowed in the cockpit, just got to make some sort of bow roller now, I've made them in styrene before but not that strong so as I've got some thin copper sheet I think I'll try that.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2020, 08:30:44 pm »

Overall it's looking superb Joe. Will be great seeing it on the water and seeing how it goes with twin motors.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #223 on: July 11, 2020, 12:17:13 pm »

Thanks Chris, Yep it's getting near sea trials  time,,  been working on the bow roller today a bit of trail and error but nearly there, made the kit, now to paint and assemble it.

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #224 on: July 13, 2020, 03:20:51 pm »

Finished the bow roller yesterday, and marked today as trails day, the conditions seemed just right at home but as all too often happen at Walpole Park the cross winds off Haslar creek were whipping up a 2 to 3 inch chop, but decided to get her bottom wet anyway, she ran well but not there yet performance wise, not quite on the plane, I'd say about half plane but very pleased with how she handles a nice heel on turning and handled the chop ok, I ran her for half an hour at full throttle then brought her in despite the spray over her decks she was dry inside, motors just warm, shafts just warm, ESC cool, conclusion she needs more power, I used 30mm three blade brass props and a 2S lipo today, so I'll be ordering a pair of 40mm three blade brass props that I always intended to use and a 3S lipo and we'll see how that works.

Joe
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.1 seconds with 22 queries.