Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41304 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #225 on: July 17, 2020, 02:39:24 pm »

Down to the lake this morning with larger props fitted and a 3S lipo, she took off like a rocket way to much power at full throttle on a turn the outer prop cavitates and loses thrust, I can certainly see why some guys fit single shafts to these H31s , so I have to throttle back for the turns but she dose bank very nicely, but after about ten minutes the ESC went into protection mode so bought her in and sure enough the ESC was very hot as were the motors, the shafts being virtually water cooled were fine. put her back in and run ok again, so thought I would try the 2S lipo with the larger props.

Back to the lake this afternoon with the 2S lipo much better still need to throttle back on turns and got the hang of her after a while it sure looked like a H31 performance, she looks great on long turns but again after twenty minutes or so the ESC got too hot ran her slow for a while and the speed kicked in again, so I think some sort of cooling is required I have to give it some thought. not much in the way of photos I was on my own and she's a two handed boat.  O0

On getting home and cleaning her I noticed the windscreen was split no idea how it happened, may have just been stress I should have put a radius on that corner, Ho well it's all in the fun, clear plastic on order, at least I can use the screen as a template and save all the fitting I had to do on the original.

Joe

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #226 on: July 17, 2020, 02:42:54 pm »

Good job Joe.  :-)) :-))   Shame about the windscreen but as you say, it should be a relatively simple fix.

So what's next??

Greg

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #227 on: July 17, 2020, 03:05:04 pm »

Nice to see it finished and on the water. I think models are subject to higher speeds and tighter turns relative to the full sized boats and hence the problem with a prop coming out of the water.

Good to see the twin props replicated though even if you do have to restrain your throttle hand!

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #228 on: July 17, 2020, 03:27:39 pm »

Just a thought Joe - is the crack on the screen possibly created from an overtightened screw?

Other than that she's looking great!
Well done mate  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #229 on: July 17, 2020, 03:59:39 pm »

Good job Joe.  :-)) :-))   Shame about the windscreen but as you say, it should be a relatively simple fix.

So what's next??

Greg

Thanks Greg,  Yes the windscreen quite an easy fix I think I'll get a couple of sheets of Lexan and make up a couple of spare screens.  what's next?  not sure but I'll have to build something  ok2

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #230 on: July 17, 2020, 04:06:58 pm »

Nice to see it finished and on the water. I think models are subject to higher speeds and tighter turns relative to the full sized boats and hence the problem with a prop coming out of the water.

Good to see the twin props replicated though even if you do have to restrain your throttle hand!

Chris

Thanks Chris,  Yeah I think I've got the measure of her now on the 2S lipo , so next time out I'll be driving her at a more scale speed, 3S lipo was just crazy,  %%

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #231 on: July 17, 2020, 04:14:18 pm »

Just a thought Joe - is the crack on the screen possibly created from an overtightened screw?

Other than that she's looking great!
Well done mate  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Thanks Ray,  Well there's a screw though the wood that holds the screen in place about 12mm from the spit, but to be honest I think it's more to do with me not following good engineering practices, the split is right on the corner as it go's into the cockpit defo a week spot  {:-{   the next one will have a radius at those points. 

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #232 on: July 17, 2020, 04:18:26 pm »

... so it's probably a simple Stress Factor.
I'll bear this in mind for when I get to that stage on mine  O0 .

Regards,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #233 on: July 17, 2020, 09:29:12 pm »

Beautiful job there Joe and it looks so lovely on the water - We don't get enough of these shots  O0   I'm sure that you will repair the windscreen in no time.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #234 on: July 17, 2020, 10:19:02 pm »

... so it's probably a simple Stress Factor.

Oops, that was supposed to read 'Stress Fracture'  :embarrassed:

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #235 on: July 17, 2020, 10:53:17 pm »

Beautiful job there Joe and it looks so lovely on the water - We don't get enough of these shots  O0   I'm sure that you will repair the windscreen in no time.

Thanks Mark, I always think they look much smaller out on the water,  I need some clear pvc at least 500mm long for the screen, I found some at good old Slecuk .

Joe.

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #236 on: July 19, 2020, 10:55:26 am »

While waiting for the screen pvc from Slec, I've rigged up a fan over the ESC just to see if it makes a difference, running on the 2S lipo the ESC only went into protection mode once so it may be just enough,

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #237 on: July 23, 2020, 03:08:23 pm »

I had searched the web for some clear pvc that was at least 500mm long for the new windscreen most places only stock it in 300mm, so when noticed on the Slecuk. site the it was 500mm long I ordered two sheets to make the postage worth while, well it came yesterday, in my rush to order it I only saw the 500mm. it's actually 560mm X 680mm I have two %%  I'll probably never run out of it again,  {-) . anyway Slecuk did their usual great service.
so I made the new screen and fitted it today, I took the opportunity to restyle the aft of the screen more in keeping with the photos I've seen and put a radius on the little corners as it enters the cockpit, the old screen material was from the seventies so could have been a bit brittle, let's see how long this one lasts. one things for sure I can make plenty more. :-))

Joe

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #238 on: July 24, 2020, 04:11:04 pm »

With the new screen done I thought I would try another combination of the drive train the 3S lipo and the original 30mm props and took her to the lakes the Yacht club were racing on the large lake so I used the small lake that was actually more sheltered and hardly any chop and had it all to myself, she ran perfectly taking turns at full throttle with no cavitating just a lovely bank, gave her fast runs around the lake for 25 minutes with no over heating, took her out to check inside the ESC was just warm the motors were very warm, very happy with her now just the sort of performance I was looking for like a true H31.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #239 on: July 24, 2020, 04:34:27 pm »

Hi Joe

That's good to hear. I did wonder if the smaller props would be better given the twin motor set up.

A boat to be proud of.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #240 on: July 24, 2020, 04:43:42 pm »

Well done Joe.  Lovely to see everything come together.  :-)) :-))

Greg

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #241 on: July 24, 2020, 05:25:22 pm »

As always thanks for your comments guys, I guess when you think about it the smaller 30mm props are actually quite close to scale, now I'll have to think of a boat for the pair of 40mm props I've got spare, though I have been thinking of a yacht for my next build, I've had three Yachts, I built the Graupner Optimist back in the seventies then sold it, then I had the Graupner True Blue not much to build there sold it, then the Victoria again not much to build and only suitable for a very light breeze so of course sold it, but I do enjoy sailing Yachts so might think about that, probably wood construction around 800mm length as I now have a much smaller car, the Aeronaut Bella fits the bill, we'll see.  ;)

Joe

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #242 on: July 24, 2020, 07:41:41 pm »

It's great to see her finished Joe, you've made a smashing job of it.
Your build log has also revealed some good ideas for other people to pick up on - well done that man.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #243 on: July 24, 2020, 09:57:00 pm »

It's great to see her finished Joe, you've made a smashing job of it.
Your build log has also revealed some good ideas for other people to pick up on - well done that man.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Fully agree with Ray - fantastic build and well done  :-))

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #244 on: July 25, 2020, 09:39:45 am »

Thanks for your kind comments ,always appreciated, I'm already having building withdrawal symptoms, is it just me or dose anyone else get that when they finish a build, it's like what the heck can I do now, I must take my time and not rush into anything O0 .

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #245 on: July 25, 2020, 05:36:49 pm »

Whilst I enjoy giving the boats a run, I like many, if not most of us modellers, find the building the most satisfying part and so can understand your withdrawal symptoms.

What to build next is somewhat easier for me as it's got to be a Fairey! Just started another one even though I've got the others to finish!

Chris

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #246 on: July 25, 2020, 05:59:47 pm »

Hi Joe

I was thinking about the larger props cavitating. It may be that the larger diameter, so faster prop tips were actually either pulling down air from the surface in a banked turn, or air bubbles are being drawn down the full length lift strakes so ventilation is occurring. 

Sounds academic anyway as the smaller props are probably less demanding on the motors and ESCs.

Maybe if the problem occurs even with the small props when in choppy conditions it would point at the lift strakes.

Great to hear the boat is out on the water after all the hard work.

:-))

RST

« Reply #247 on: July 25, 2020, 06:12:51 pm »

I really would be surprised if you're cavitating. Tell tale will be the surface of the prop tips breaking down and pitting on the surface of the blades. I think you'll get aeration, which in my modest experience of full scale powerboating as well as any model can be handled with left hand on steering and right in throttle.

Really nicely done model by the way, I've been watching throughout while I've been building my Amera stand-off plastic kit.

Rich

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #248 on: July 25, 2020, 06:44:15 pm »

Yeah for me it's all about the build, though it's nice to see something you've built out on the water running just as it should, I've been down to the lake more times in the last two weeks than the last two years. %%

I was thinking the smaller props would be less demanding on the motors and esc. this seems to be the case and they are certainly big enough to do the job, cavitation was probably the wrong word, it was more like props breaking the surface and as you say drawing in air, anyway the balance is just right now.  :-))

Joe.

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #249 on: August 05, 2020, 10:38:17 pm »

I've just caught up wit your build and have to say she looks amazing (but then that doesn't surprise me  :-))  )
Pond weed is your enemy
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.107 seconds with 22 queries.