Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hunter's moon build  (Read 41306 times)

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Hunter's moon build
« Reply #250 on: August 05, 2020, 11:01:02 pm »

As always thanks for your interest Ian.   :-))

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #251 on: October 04, 2020, 01:05:30 pm »

Hi Joe

Finally got around to getting the deck planking. Blimey it's thin stuff isn't it! As My build is 1:12 I've gone for the narrower 5mm. Not ready to start yet as I've got the sub-deck to fit but had a trial go at bending it.

Obviously it bends upwards as you bend it sideways. Did you glue one piece all and one go and how did you keep it flat? Haven't decided yet on whether to go for the mahogany edging yet or not though I've got the sheet and will be doing the bow piece. I take it you cut it to shape?

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #252 on: October 04, 2020, 01:55:30 pm »

Hi Chris  yes I fitted and glued one plank at a time, the good thing I found about planking on a sub deck is you can use clamps to hold most of the planks, I noticed on a photo of a full size H31 that the first plank on the outer edge was tapered of at the bow end quite early this reduces the curve on all the planks so I did the same and each plank was clamped in place dry and then glued with thin cyanoacrylate run in to the joint, and yes I did cut out the Mahogany bow piece, you'll notice I have a joint along the centre line this was because the sheet of Mahogany was only 100mm wide so I had to make it in two pieces.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #253 on: October 04, 2020, 03:51:41 pm »

Thanks Joe. I shall give it a go!

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #254 on: October 04, 2020, 04:25:49 pm »

Sorry Joe, I should have been clearer. I meant the mahogany edging along the sides. Seem to remember you cutting it out of sheet rather than bending it. If so, cutting narrow strips must have been tricky?

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #255 on: October 04, 2020, 04:53:58 pm »

Ahh Right yes because the gunwale edging was quite wide I thought it would be difficult to bend so I cut it in two sections each side scarfed onto the bow detail and another cut to shape across the transom, turned out ok and a lot easier than trying to bend it.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #256 on: October 04, 2020, 06:27:44 pm »

Cheers Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #257 on: October 05, 2020, 01:22:53 pm »

Sorry for all the questions Joe!

I have decided to go with the mahogany along the sides, one plank wide, in my case 5mm. Easy enough to make a card template to get the shape of the deck edge but how did you mark out the width and then cut it out? I'm guessing that you measured off the distance at points along the edge and joined up the dots?

Wish I hadn't dismantled my drawing board now as it would have been a doddle on that!

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #258 on: October 05, 2020, 02:50:15 pm »

Hi Chris No worries, nearly right, I marked out the Mahogany bow detail, gunwale capping and transom capping on the deck including all the scarf joints and then copied all the components with tracing paper, once these were all cut out and glued in place and flushed off with the hull edge I glued a 5mm x 0.5mm Mahogany on edge all around to cover the joint, I hope this all makes sense.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #259 on: October 05, 2020, 04:05:45 pm »

Thanks again Joe. I've nearly finished fitting the sub-deck so once I've trimmed/sanded it flush I can make a start.

I've got a large roll of good quality tracing paper from my draughting days so that will be just the job.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #260 on: October 05, 2020, 04:30:37 pm »

Nice one Chris, you can see the Mahogany marked out here

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #261 on: October 05, 2020, 05:33:16 pm »

Cheers Joe, I'll post some pictures up when I start.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2020, 06:22:07 pm »

Hi Joe

Just got the first plank fitted to the Huntsman. Has taken me awhile as I decided to do the mahogany edgings and sub-bases to three hulls whilst I was in the groove! Those sub-bases certainly take some time to do having to sand progressively to get a good fit. Glad they're done though now.

What was the matt varnish you used for the planking?

Cheers, Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #263 on: October 28, 2020, 07:11:43 pm »

Hi Chris,  sounds like you have a production line going on there,  {-)    I used U-POL CLEARCOTE the same lacquer I used on the decal waterslide transfers, it's waterproof and does the job well at least I've had no problems yet and the decks have been wetted a few times, got it on E-BAY.

Joe

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #264 on: October 28, 2020, 08:10:34 pm »

You could say that Joe, all Faireys of course!

Thanks for the info. on the lacquer.

Chris

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #265 on: October 31, 2020, 12:33:50 pm »

Hi Joe

Finished the planking to the Huntsman last night, it does fit better than that, it's not glued down yet!

Would like to say thanks for sharing your method, inspiration and answering my many questions! Swordsman next!

Cheers, Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #266 on: October 31, 2020, 04:43:49 pm »

Lovely job Chris, no problem at all so glad you found it useful, beautiful wooden hull there mate.

Joe.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #267 on: October 31, 2020, 06:02:18 pm »

Thanks Joe

I won't say that doing the edging, sub-bases and planking was easy though! Finding the planking on the Swordsman easier now that I've done it before.

Chris

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #268 on: October 31, 2020, 06:45:34 pm »

Hi Chris, I wonder if the craft we build were easy would we have so much fun.  ok2

Joe.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11]   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.