Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Who wants to go back to 'normal'?  (Read 6610 times)

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Who wants to go back to 'normal'?
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2020, 09:55:31 am »

That's a good analogy Nick, perhaps we don't know when we are well off!

And in that vein Mrs B and I are just about to set off on our route march exercise. It's about three miles so if we can get away by 10:00 I reckon we might make it back before nightfall.  O0

Colin

justboatonic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2020, 02:31:33 pm »

Back to normal? Yeah, bring it on asap. Does that stop people from wanting a better world with less pollution, famine and disease? Nope, certainly not.

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 04:43:21 pm »

It's being reported that Boris may slightly relax the UK lockdown from Sunday, especially with regard to outdoor activities. I wonder if sailing activities will be permitted, obviously conducted within social distancing regulations? I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 04:55:45 pm »

As long as you aren't over 70 maybe. There seems to be a faction in Government that would like to see us oldies incarcerated in our bathrooms undefinitely to 'shield' us.

Colin

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 05:43:56 pm »

As long as you aren't over 70 maybe. There seems to be a faction in Government that would like to see us oldies incarcerated in our bathrooms undefinitely to 'shield' us.

My feelings exactly!  <*<

It's a conspiracy to keep the cost of pensions down I reckon...……………
Regards
Kit

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2020, 05:55:17 pm »

Sorry about the 'undefinitely' typo - I have an eye problem at the moment, one of them doesn't work very well!

Colin

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2020, 07:23:38 pm »

Back to normal please. I bought a sports car when I was still working in readiness for my retirement. Haven't used it much the last few years and was going to remedy that this year! Gave it a wash today though.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2020, 08:46:34 pm »

Colin

I suggest you actually go and read the gov.uk web site instead of believing journalists.  I looked today.  There is nothing indicating that healthy over 70's should behave differently from any other adult.

NNF

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2020, 09:46:59 pm »

You've not read this then which classes 70 and over as clinically vulnerable although Matt Hancock did contradict it the other day giving rise to more confusion.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Leaving aside journalists, there have been statements in the press by various prominent individuals arguing for and against maintaining or even tiightening up the restrictions on over 70s to allow the less vulnerable younger part of the population to benefit from easing of restrictions. Not quite sure of the logic of that.

Vulnerability to the virus seems to depend on a number of factors, not all of which are understood and the idea of consigning the healthy over 70s to extended lockdown can be considered as discriminatory given that younger people with underlying health conditions are probably more at risk in practical terms.

I have no wish to catch the bug and make a point of steering clear of anybody else at the moment and will continue to do so. The only exception is food shopping but by going to our local village supermarkets at around 8am there are hardly any other customers and the risk must be pretty minimal. We live in a rural location and can walk for a few miles without getting within 15 feet of the handful of people we might encounter. Usually it's more like 50 feet or more.

You won't see me on a bus or a train this side of Christmas or later.

We can manage on this basis as we are quite lucky but I don't want to see the restrictions further tightened. Anyway, we will see what Mr Johnson says on Sunday. He will of course be guided by the science which seems to be different in every country so I'm not quite sure what confidence you can place in that!

Colin

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2020, 10:27:24 pm »

Colin, you have my sympathy with your eye problem. Many people, including Don Bradman the cricketer had only the use of one eye, and succeeded in life. Think on this though. I don't know what life would be like with binocular vision, I haven't had it for 70 years! John.

NoNuFink

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2020, 10:44:06 pm »

You've not read this then which classes 70 and over as clinically vulnerable although Matt Hancock did contradict it the other day giving rise to more confusion.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others/full-guidance-on-staying-at-home-and-away-from-others

Yes but it only advises the clinically vulnerable to take care.  It doesn't say Don't go food shopping or exercising or anything else.  As far as I can see only those with additional medical problems and told by the NHS have to stay indoors by law.

There's nothing in this
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do/coronavirus-outbreak-faqs-what-you-can-and-cant-do

It appears that some people think that 'vulnerable' means 'more likely to become infected' as opposed to  'more likely to end up in hospital' which is what it actually means.

RST

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2020, 12:10:29 am »

Looking back to Raflaunches, I sympathise with most of his points:  I should be better as a civilan doing this, used to it working offshore: but it's not the same.  I'd take offshore anyday compared to this -even considering the stress and hassle in what I did offshore.

BrianB6

• Full Mayhemer
  • I'm not sure if I can get up from here
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2020, 12:50:28 am »

In Oz, confusion reigns supreme.  :embarrassed:
In some states one can now have gatherings of 10 and elsewhere none at all.
Some places allow certain shops to open but they are not allowed in others.
Unfortunately it has resulted in a lot of people being out when they should be in and getting $1000 fines from overzealous police.  :police:   

Charlie

• Full Mayhemer
  • I spend far too much time on Model Boats Mayhem!
    • My Youtube Channel
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2020, 10:14:58 pm »

So the rules in England at least have been very slightly relaxed. I’m interpreting this as meaning that you won’t be breaking the rules if you take a boat to the lake. However, would it be sensible?

It's being reported that Boris may slightly relax the UK lockdown from Sunday, especially with regard to outdoor activities. I wonder if sailing activities will be permitted, obviously conducted within social distancing regulations? I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2020, 10:47:57 pm »

We as a club were going to have a morning regatta on Easter Sunday and the council became aware and demanded £100 for us to sail on the model boating lake! 

How can they do that, it's a public facility funded by council tax isn't it?

RST

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2020, 10:54:16 pm »

So the rules in England at least have been very slightly relaxed. I’m interpreting this as meaning that you won’t be breaking the rules if you take a boat to the lake. However, would it be sensible?
No 10 rules the UK, so I'm hoping I can go out a bit more also, perhaps with a model also.  No saying you have to be there with anyone else or drive any further than during lock-down if your'e lucky to have a pond handy.  Might even be able to nip out for some modeling bits soon, BnQ or Halfords etc might have been open but can't go there for model bits now!

SteveH

• Full Mayhemer
  • Old age is a privilege, not a disease
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2020, 06:43:22 pm »

No problem keeping the isolation up ( we have to because my missus is classed as vulnerable ), we are into week 8 now.  I'm ploughing through  all my half finished projects and quite enjoying it, but I'm now running out of basic materials. I need some sheet MDF to make a case for my model tug, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to buy it anywhere. Perhaps I could say that I'm building my own coffin just in case? ok2
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 22 queries.