Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cieba ply  (Read 1148 times)

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
Cieba ply
« on: June 01, 2020, 08:32:26 pm »

Hello all
I'm not sure where to post this, anyway, I hadnt heard of " Cieba ply " until today. Is that the same thing as "light ply" (or is that, "lite ply" ?) ? A bit of googling would seem to indicate that this is so, but , I'm not sure.

Also, if one was building a boat of light /lite ply, would it have to be covered in glass & expoxy ? This doesnt seem to be the case with vessels constructed from very thin regular ply (presumably birch or some similar), e.g. the Lesro Arrow kit, the Aeronaut kits etc. Perhaps light /lite ply is more hygroscopic (if that is the right word / the right way to spell it  - i.e. more water-absorbing) ?

Thanks.

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
Re: Cieba ply
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2020, 09:01:06 pm »

I built a crane barge entirely out of 1/8" lite ply many years ago. The outer hull was just treated to layers of Sanding Sealer followed by an enamel paint finish. The insides were sloshed out wit thinned Cascamite, which was easier to get then. Today, I would brush out the inside with an epoxy finishing resin instead.
Boat lasted a good two years with me, then went through a number of owners before vanishing from sight forever!

Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

SwordsmanDreamer

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2020, 09:30:39 pm »

Thanks Unbuiltnautilus. I appreciate the information. Oh Cascamite, I remember the dinghies such as our Fireball were built with that. I remember using that to do repairs , and once some Aerolite, and Cascophen. By the way, it looks like we are in the same neck of the woods.  :-)

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2020, 10:52:27 pm »

If you look at the lite ply supplied by SLEC that is Cieba.

Lite ply does need more protection from water and so is usually covered in cloth and resin, the joints being particularly vulnerable. Also lite ply is more open grained than e.g. birch ply and this process helps with filling the grain prior to painting.

Chris
Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2020, 09:52:01 am »

Hi all I have to admit I had not heard the name cieba.  I looked it up and found that apart from its extensive use in ply and wood pulp when the leaves fall there are black seed pods left and they are full of what we call Kapok.  Used for stuffing sleeping bags and life preservers.  It is a very large tree and the national tree of Guatemala.  (Now, not many people know that!), to quote Mr. Caine.

Regards
Roy
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 23 queries.