Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie just landed  (Read 4264 times)

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Newbie just landed
« on: April 17, 2020, 01:21:48 pm »

Hi all, just found the forum and joined as I have just embarked on my first model boat.... allegedly based on a Riva Aquarama. Hello deep end!!
Started with a set of drawings on Pinterest and then drew my own frames on CAD based on the frames I found!!
I made my own planks rough sawn pine on my bandsaw. Rustic is the term I would use. Anyway I have learnt a lot so far by making the mistakes and guess work. So far I have used 1 mm ply on the hull up to the waterline and planked above. It currently looks more like a sieve, but I’ll get there.
Quick question.... I am now looking at putting a 2nd skin on the hull with either 1 mm or 2 mm ply, so any advice on best way to apply the 2nd skin. (Large sections either side of keel, single section either side of keel..... any other suggestions) I served my time in a shipyard 40 odd years ago but it’s not quite the same!! Cheers

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Newbie just landed
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 03:01:43 pm »

Hi and welcome to the forum  :-))   There are two Riva builds going on here at the moment and I'm sure that one of the lads will be able to help you.  Get some photos up and start a build log  ok2

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 09:08:29 am »

Hi again, thanks for the welcome. I am using this model build as my lockdown activity... a few mistakes in the process but hey if you don’t make ‘em, you don’t learn! So I am looking to get this thing eventually in the water under power(RC)  but as it is a first model I am trying to keep the costs down!!! Any recommends for starter RC gear, motors, servos etc with the emphasis on cost please.
I wasn’t happy with the first skin, 1mm ply on hull to water line then longitudinal planking above, so I have 2nd skinned longitudinally planked the hull and diagonally planked above the waterline and sanded. Do you guys generally use filler for small imperfections or just rely on the varnish / resins etc? What is the best way to waterproof the hull?
Sorry for the heaps of questions!! Is there a build blog area, or do I just add photos to  a thread? Cheers.

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 10:16:16 am »

Welcome Boxerman, one thing to watch out for on a quick planing model like this is the weight. You're already on two layers of planking so go easy on the rest. I would put a thin layer of epoxy of polyester resin on the inside to stabilise the hull, then fill any gaps that are on the outside with matching timber. You're aiming for a perfectly smooth finish outside before applying any paint or varnish.
Chas

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 11:44:51 am »

Hi Chas, thanks for that. At present the hull weighs 1.3 Kg. I’ve just got a twin motor set but think it will be well under powered.(no water speed recorded here!!!) Not sure what to use instead but £££ are on a budget. Still got running gear, deck and cockpit area to do plus’s all the finishing!!! Plenty for lockdown. Cheers

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 03:07:39 pm »

Hi Boxerman, You don't mention the size of the hull but judging by that workmate it's on it looks around 3 feet if that's right 1.3 kg is not too bad, my 34" Huntsman GRP hull plus bulkheads is a tad under 1 kg, so I wouldn't worry too much, Having said that it's always wise to build as light as possible and add ballast as needed when finished.

Joe

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 03:43:58 pm »

Hi Joe, yes it’s about 860mm now to stern. Any suggestions for lowish costing  motors, RC gear, etc do many folk use China etc for bits n bobs? Defo green on this stuff!! Cheers

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 04:36:02 pm »

Yeah same size as my Huntsman, I'm using two brushed Aeronaut 600 race motors and Raboesch exposed prop shafts, the motors are £18 each  and the shafts are a bit pricey at £70 a pair but they are waterproof maintenance free and look authentic, I was going to use brushless motors but found them very expensive for a pair, so thought I'd rather spend the money on the shafts the 600s will do what I want, I haven't made a decision on the ESC at the moment, I do have a ESC with switchable duel mode brushed or brushless I may try that first. I get most of my gear from www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk   you've no doubt heard of them a very good supplier.

Joe

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 01:23:17 pm »

Hi folks, I am trying to make as many parts as possible by hand to keep the lockdown grey matter and hand tool skills alive. Shipyard engineering trained - (bench fitting, turning and milling) ex DT secondary teacher etc. I like to “play”and coved-19 seems to have provided me with plenty of time to do it!!
Anyone got a dimensioned sketch of a rudder I can work with for an Aquarama?? Also any dimensioned sketches of steering wheel and windshield. Cheers in advance.

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 05:17:44 pm »

Hi Folks, any advice on applying surface tissue toaquarama hull with "FINS" Planing boards sticking out of sides and aft end?
Treat as seperates or try to stipple in with brush?? Nold done any GRP work for 40 plus years!! And then that was holes in car wings!! Cheers

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 05:51:33 pm »

I would treat as separate rather than trying to glass over a thin protrusion, as for rudders I always make my own if you check out my build on here "Hunters Moon" you will see how I make them of course this just how I do them there are other ways, but it will give you ideas.

Joe

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 05:54:47 pm »

Thanks for the info Joe.
Cheers
Alan.

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 06:03:34 pm »

hi there Boxerman66   - welcome to the Forum or shall we say the mad house :-)

Have you had chance to read through the masterclass section on this Forum?

There are a lot of builds on there which may help you along with your questions e.g. have a look at this link

https://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,9758.msg90494.html#msg90494

this is part of the build for the 63 ft whaleback launch which was double diagonally planked and then coated with Zpoxy finishing resin.

Also if you look at the Cervia build, that hull was skinned with tissue and fibreglass resin - good luck with your builds and we all like photographs on this Forum = so plenty of and good luck with your build.

Knowledge begins with respect
But fools hate wisdom and discipline

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
Re: Newbie just landed - The How Not To Guide!!
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2020, 03:17:33 pm »

Hi All, based on my current frustrations of the build magnifying at present...if I were to put my “How Not To Build a Plank on Frame Model Boat” as a Build Log. Is there a particular place to put it on the forum? The surface cloth and resin stage has not gone well, probably down to lack of experience, not working quick enough with the cloth and resin can’t think of anymore excuses but there are probs many more!!
Are there any recovery tips / process diversions after almost sanding off that which was applied yesterday? Working with metal is far more relaxing, I have decided. I will persist!
Ps at which stage of adding pictures do I need to reduce the file size so they will upload??
Cheers, brew time now!! :embarrassed:

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2020, 05:33:23 pm »

Hi Guys,sorry for all the questions!!!
I now have the control gear out of a RC car for my boat as it is my first cost effective model!!
The hand set is a two channel. The boat is twin screw and single rudder. Motors are Johnson brushed 62200. See picture.
My questions are.....  can I use one servo to drive two sets of motor controller?I have several batteries so can use two speed controllers, one for each motor if it is possible to configure. My limit is two channels at present so am looking for a “Heath Robinson” to get the two motors and 1 rubber operating.
Cheers....BBQ & beer time!!

radiojoe

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 05:46:57 pm »

As you are using brushed motors you can ether run both motors off one ESC or use two ESCs plugged into the throttle channel which would require a "Y" lead that are readily available from any RC stockist.
Still no picture though.

Joe

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 05:55:40 pm »

Thanks for that Joe. :-)) :-))

JimG

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 08:27:20 pm »

You would be best to replace that mechanical speed controller with an electronic one.
Jim
Dundee Model Boat club

RST

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 09:07:02 pm »

I started out with that tamiya speed controller.  It lasted many, many years in countless transplants on models and if yours works then it will probably still work!  It just wastes the energy as heat through the resistor and that's lost capacity in terms of battery run time and I know well it's going to be a bit maxed-out running 2 x 540 or 600 type motors.  For the sake of about 25 quid-odd for an ESC I'd replace it also though.  For about 30 quid you can get an ESC with two outputs like the "quicrun 880" models -though I have one but must admit actually used it yet.

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
Re: Newbie just landed - The How Not To Guide!!
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 02:43:25 pm »

[size=78%]Any advice on process or options after nearly  sanding back to the wood. Do I just use filler To remove the pot holes and paint?[/size]

Will there be any impregnating of the resin in the wood?
At some stage soon I want to fit motors and shafts etc. Any pointers on correct order for this based on current stage of build? Do I complete the hull “finish” before running gear fitting? I am well aware that I have got the build order wrong!! >:-o [/size][size=78%] [/size]

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 05:47:14 pm »

Hi ya Boxer

Don't be too hard on yourself about making mistakes - I don't think there is anyone on this Forum or anywhere - who can honestly put their hand on their heart and say they have never made a mistake whilst making a model of any description.

To give you an inside look today :-) this is how my story goes - in the process of drawing out on a 4 x 2 piece of plywood - a keel and frames for the next build of mine - discovered that I had drawn them out at the wrong spacing on the keel.  So, instead of rubbing out I thought I would just turn the sheet of plywood over and recommence drawing - that's another day and a half of drawing - turning the sheet over - I wiped out the ceiling light which has a glass bowl on it - so I now need to replace that.   Had to spend all morning cleaning the broken glass up from my room.

Also I kicked over the cat's drinking water soaking the carpet with at least 2 pints of watta.   So there you go.

Right, to get back to your build - really - ideally - before you put the tissue and fibre glass on the hull - you should have filled in with car body filler P38 - & then sanded it smooth.  But makes no odds, you have glassed over it now - but, what you can o is just fill all the gaps and bumps with card body filler and then sand.   If you sand through to the timber again, give it another quick coat of resin and hardener mixed - obviously when that dries off - use wet n dry to finish off.

Then, you can put your fixtures or fittings in such as rudders and prop tubes or what I tend to do is give the hull a spray with grey undercoat and this shows up any imperfections.

I go on to fit the rudders & etc.

I tend to fit the prop tubes in first along with the motors and when I am happy with that, I will then fit the rudders and servos.

John

John W E

• I see no ships !!
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2020, 06:52:00 pm »

just too late to edit me last post.

Meant to put on about your Tamiya Speed controller that you intend using - yes it will do the job - but it may possibly be a bit power wasteful (as has already been mentioned).  What I am going to suggest is a bit of a grey area at this present time - I purchased, a while ago, via ebay, a speed controller of dubious power handling (300 + amps) and it only cost me about £7 at the time from China.   I fitted this into a model which has 2 x 400 speed motors in it.  Under tests, the speed controller can handle it quite easily.   Whether in the future it bursts into flames I am unsure - but - time will tell.    I have had Chinese speed controllers go up in the weird old smoke at times - you have to try them though to see if they work,.   This particular one I am using has 2 outputs for 2 motors - single power input for the battery and a single receiver input.   I will put the link on - its only about £9.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Way-320A-ESC-Brush-Motor-Speed-Controller-With-Fan-for-RC-Car-Boat-Model/143536487515?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20200513093106%26meid%3Da132801e79ad4b29bdb53f78ca852335%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D163822339089%26itm%3D143536487515%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV1Filter&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2020, 07:27:13 pm »

Hi John, thanks for the info, your hiccups made me chuckle.
Onwards and upwards. Car filler it is then.  :-))

Boxerman66

• Shipmate
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 02:30:53 pm »

Hi guys. Is it necessary / essential / good practice to epoxy in a brass prop shaft tube through the hull for the prop shaft to sit in or just epoxy the prop shaft housing into the hull. If so how would this be made water tight? Also are propshafts generally left in permanently or do folks recycle from model to model?? Will add some pics to explain. Opinions welcomed please.

Andy M

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 04:10:21 pm »

Any boats I have constructed have had the propshaft permanently epoxied into the hull, any attempt at removing them would have destroyed the hull, or at least made a major mess of it. I dont know if anyone else does it differently, running it through another brass tube might lead to possibility of leaks?
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.