Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: reading lights  (Read 1720 times)

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
reading lights
« on: April 17, 2020, 02:43:11 pm »

looking to buy a cheap but bright lamp  to light up the model  i am  making at  89 eyes not as good  as used to be

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: reading lights
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 03:29:07 pm »

build bigger models
And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2020, 05:45:42 pm »

Hi Regiment

Loads to choose from on amazon mate have a click on this link

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=hobby+lighting&crid=3BI9HD2ZEOIYI&sprefix=hobby+light%2Caps%2C135&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_2_11

Mark

LJ Crew

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2020, 07:44:01 pm »

Hello Regiment, I would buy a LED spot lamp. They are much cooler than a "Filament" type. Doesn't cook the model or burn your eyebrows.

Tug Hercules Fireman

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2020, 07:56:40 pm »

I myself like some of Ikea's Lights; Check out;

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/cat/work-lamps-20502/

In articular, I like this light. I have one on each Workbench, and one in my display area.
Tug Hercules
Fireman Rick

“Ideals are like the Stars; We never reach them, but like
Mariners of the Sea, we chart our course by them.”

john44

• Full Mayhemer
  • member of the Potteries Model boat club
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 09:52:34 am »

Would a head light be better for you? lightweight and very bright led versions available some at a low price
Battery powered so no plugging in, just a thought as I use mine in the garden ,working on the car etc
hands free as well a very useful light.

John

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2020, 03:21:03 pm »

must be looking in the wrong place cannot seem to buy a 60 watt reading lamp  al are led  but do not say what wattage 

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2020, 03:29:21 pm »

They don't sell the old type bulb lamps much these days Gordon. You should get a LED lamp. The light output is usually shown as Lumens and 800 Lumens is roughly equivalent to 60 watts.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2020, 04:21:47 pm »

.......or around 12W LED which is quite a lot for most desk lights.

The other thing to note is colour temperature. Make sure that your light has the colour temperature that you want. To the best of my knowledge the old type house bulbs tend to give a redish light which is nice & warm & snug for the winter (2400 - 2500 degrees) but quite a lot of LED lamps give a bluer light which is in fact more like natural light. Their colour temperature will be 2700 -3000 degrees.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2020, 07:12:46 pm »

Gordon
We bought two of these for the office desks. They are just the job. https://www.lepro.co.uk/12w-dimmable-led-desk-lamp-with-3-level-color-temperature-full-metal-timer-memory-function.html
Dave M

regiment

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2020, 11:07:39 am »

hi dave thanks for message  will it plug into a 13 amp socket for use in my shed   gordon

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2020, 11:17:28 am »

DaveM light is apparently out of stock but a quick look at Amazon found this which isn't quite as tall as the DaveM one but I like the idea of the double bend arm although some of the reviews warn about the plastic that it is made from.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06XXCV4XM/ref=sspa_dk_detail_5?psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExTzBPQTQ4ME1KV1YyJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTgwNTQ4Qjg3NE9ON0dRVTRXJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTA0NDIwMTVNWFlXRlk4RkREUEwmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWwyJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2020, 11:52:51 am »

Good point about dimmers  :-)) Using the old flouro energy saver bulbs, I had forgotten dimmers existed.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

RST

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2020, 12:24:22 am »

It took me 2 months this lock-down to find a source of CF tubes for my desk light when I knocked the arm and the tube blew -last tube  did 10 years+ but found one locally as not worth giving up on for cost of replacements (I should have gone to CEF in the first place!).
However, I wanted a smaller LED lamp for using on my 3-D printer.  Was shocked at limited availability of anything these days at a reasonable cost.  I'm not an amazon user but reluctantly bought one from ebay.  I have no problem with Chinese goods but I always try to buy via a UK source.  I thought I'd been tricked this time but it came in 48hrs as promised.  I must admit it has been rather good for £15.  It has a 3 stage output and 15, 30, 60min timer.  It's very clear, sharp white light.  If nothing magnetic to stick to it comes with a self-adhesive steel disc you stick to something.  I might order another later -its not cheap and tacky -its very nicely made although it does need a 5v USB supply -not included which is probably at least 5 quid cheaper than allot of others I found.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Magnetc-Flexible-LED-Work-Spotlight-Inspection-Lamp-Workshop-Light-Dimmable/323813809969?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 22 queries.