Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Huntsman aft cabin becomes a Sports Fisherman  (Read 23236 times)

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
Fairey Huntsman aft cabin becomes a Sports Fisherman
« on: April 19, 2020, 01:03:05 pm »

Hi.

Needing a rest from the Riva, I have decided to greatly modify a 41inch Huntsman to become a "Sports Fisherman".

This came about as having received a Slec kit as a gift and on looking at the picture of the finished model I thought that the fore deck was too fat and stubby, also, I think

that the builders/designers tried to get too much accommodation etc. into 31ft with a loss of open deck space.

Have roughly drawn out the modifications and I like it, a bit different !

Here is a photo of my rough sketch. Will post as building progresses if there is enough interest.

Mike.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Fairey Huntsman aft cabin becomes a Sports Fisherman
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 03:32:26 pm »

I think there will be interest in this one Mike - there are a number of members building fairey marine models just now  O0

Hope your idea takes off (but not literally)  %%

Regards,
Ray.

Mark T

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 04:17:21 pm »

That could be a very good looking boat and quick too  :-))

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
  • What's my favourite cake!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 09:01:33 pm »

Hi Mark

I recognise part of that boat! The Huntsman 31 has a fine looking hull but the aft cabin version doesn't show it off to its full advantage - but that's what customers wanted, accommodation. Hence why I've decided to build the Sport version.

Good to see you making a start on the build. Just a suggestion, as you've gone for sharper, more modern lines to the superstructure the side air vents off the later Faireys, but reduced in length, would look good.

Chris

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 11:43:33 pm »

Chris.

I will give some thought to your suggestion regarding the side air vents, especially as they will be the main source of a cold air supply to the fans for cooling motors and batteries. The ESC's will be water cooled of course.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 06:35:10 pm »

Hi.

Building started now, I need to complete the hull first up to the point where the bottom and side skins are fitted, then I can start the modifications.

The first job was to lighten the the frames and the keel, then complete the build up to the fitting of skins to allow me to make chine rails by overlapping the side skin over the bottom, this brings the hull up to modern design and saves the fitting of 1/4 round as the full size. I will also replace the spray rails, which were half round, using triangular which I will have to make as I can't find a supplier of ready made. The new rails will be spaced differently from the norm. I need now to drill for the 2 prop shafts and rudders.

I now need to make the rudder tubes which will be 8mm thick wall brass tube, with Delrin type engineering plastic bearings top and bottom with O rings top and bottom.
The  prop shafts will again be the same 8mm tube with stainless steel ball races on the inboard end and Delrin at the outboard end, 4mm S/S exposed shafts.

I will be fitting 2 x 1kw brushless motors mounted with 7mm rubber bobbin mounts and the forward thrust taken up by ball raced thrust bearings, the reverse will be handled by the 2 spiral couplings, (reverse set to 20%).
The last picture is the last remaining bulkhead to receive the lightening.

Some pictures.

Mike.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 07:32:54 pm »

What's the thickness of the skins Mike, I'm guessing 1.5-2.0mm?
Well, they certainly look strong anyway.

Regards,
Ray.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 07:47:54 pm »

Evening Mike

All sounding good, looking forward to seeing the build progress. Do you add an oil tube to the rudder tube, or just grease on the o rings..?

Best regards
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 08:38:16 pm »

Making good progress Mike. Interested to see how the flared bow is undertaken.

Like you I tried to source triangular timber but no luck so have used square section I've rounded off which is OK on my smaller model. I did find some in styrene or similar which I think was 5 x 5mm which might be an answer for a model of your size.

Chris

Edit: Just Googled and found a couple of modelling suppliers who have Plastruct in various sizes up to 3.5mm. Don't know how I missed that when looking for the Huntsman 28. May give it a go on the Huntsman 31.

Building Fairey Marine boats: River Cruiser 23 prototype, Huntress 23 Long Cabin with stern-drive, Huntsman 28, Huntsman 31 and Swordsman 33 and two more to come! All scratch built and to a scale of 1:12

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 09:17:28 pm »

And Scale Model Shop have Raboesch section in 5x5mm and larger sizes.

Chris

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2020, 09:54:03 pm »

Evening all.

Capt. Podge.... The skins are 1.5mm birch ply and getting it to bend at the last bow bulkhead was a nightmare, no glue on earth would have held it, I finished up by soaking it at the last, (first), 2 bulkheads in boiling water then clamping it around a 125mm parallel plant pot left over night to dry, worked well.

David.... No oiler tubes there will be PTFE loaded Lithium food grade grease in the tubes and very easy to pop the shaft out for maintenance if required. The Delrin bushes have half round groove machined into the bush where the O rings sit so they are in fact captive.

ChrisF.... Re the triangle stock, I've made my own using 6mm Limewood, not Basswood, as, contrary to popular belief they are not the same. Limewood is easier to work.

Also, forgot to say that I intend re shape the transom from curved to flat. The chine rails in the photo's,( the Orange tape was just to make them more visible for photo purposes), are not finished as I need to add wood capping to make them flat to the bottom skin, as though they were triangular, not just side skin.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 07:45:08 pm »

A little more progress.

Have finalised the motor mounting with the rubber bobbin mounts and re positioned the motor position, bringing it back by 200mm toward the stern.

Also, as part of the, "make over", the transom has been re shaped and flattened by 40mm. thus reducing the curve.

Have made the rudders which are hollow and aerofoil section and 5mm shafts, the tubes are 8mm thick wall brass with UHMWPE plastic top and bottom bearings.

There are twin O rings per tube which negates any chance of water ingress.

The short internal prop shaft tubes are the same 8mm brass with sealed ball races at the motor end and UHMWPE bearings with twin O rings per shaft at the hull exit,

The shafts are of the the exposed type with thrust bearings fitted just before the 2 spiral couplings which will stop any thrust reaching the motor.

A few pictures.

Mike.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 09:05:01 pm »

Nice precision work on those rudders and motor installations - looks very professional Mike - well done  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

derekwarner

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2020, 11:48:10 pm »

Hi Mike......

These rubber resilient motor mount elements....were they for noise resonance elimination against the mounting plate?......and I suppose there is no motor casing sag? [weight influence] due to the semi rigid axial characteristics of the couplings

Derek
Derek Warner

Honorary Secretary [Retired]
Illawarra Live Steamers Co-op
Australia
www.ils.org.au

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 07:23:42 am »

Hello Derek.

Your assumptions are quite right, in that their prime function is to eliminate any motor noise being transmitted into the hull and subsequently amplified, (I hate unnecessary noise ).

There is an added advantage also, they seem to absorb the initial kick back that most outrunner motors create on start up, which makes the whole transmission  more gentle.

The mounts that I've used this time are quite flexible and the amount of flex can be controlled by sinking them into the wooden mount. This I have done by using quite thick  high quality  ply and boring flat bottomed  pockets that the mount sits into. The pocket diameter is necessarily quite critical as the fit of the rubber must be quite tight. The depth can then be controlled by adding or removing washers as spaces to set the amount of rubber outside of the pocket which determines the amount of flex, the deeper the mounts are let in the less flex and vice versa. It works.

I was lucky, in that the diameter of the mounts were exactly 8mm so was able to bore the pockets using a 8mm centre cut milling cutter for a perfectly flat square bottom and a snug fit.

There is no noticeable weight influenced sag .

Mike.

Hurric123

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 08:31:38 am »

Hi Mike
I am using the same drive coupling as you on a model I am updating to a large brushless. It's not been in the water yet. However another boater has said to me these couplings come from printer applications and they are not great at handling high torque. They feel pretty strong to me have you done any research on these couplings?

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 10:46:14 am »

Hi Mike
I am using the same drive coupling as you on a model I am updating to a large brushless. It's not been in the water yet. However another boater has said to me these couplings come from printer applications and they are not great at handling high torque. They feel pretty strong to me have you done any research on these couplings?
Hello Hurricane.

I've used these on several builds now without any problems, mostly on 50 size outrunners.

I use the cheap Chinese types as having spoken to a British manufacturer of them wanted £12.50 each and as the specs were both the same , no brainer .

I have some spare ones here, so if you let me know the size you need I may have some. Mine will be the best price also as they will be free, just postage.

Mike.

Joe Beckett

• Shipmate
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2020, 01:57:47 pm »

Hi Mike,

I am building a SLEC Huntsman 47" with twin motors.  I'm looking for a solution to the rudders going through the hull at an angle, you rudder stocks are genius!  Did you make them or buy them?

Thanks
Joe

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2020, 02:48:22 pm »

Hi Mike,

I am building a SLEC Huntsman 47" with twin motors.  I'm looking for a solution to the rudders going through the hull at an angle, you rudder stocks are genius!  Did you make them or buy them?

Thanks
Joe
Hi Joe.
I made them, but will be making some new rudder and propshaft tubes, due in part to the weight of the brass and the fact that I think the rudder tubes are too short, so, the new ones will be a fair bit longer..
They will be K3 carbon fibre and weigh a small fraction of the metal ones. Should receive the tube early next week. Also, I may re make a pair of rudder blades from the same C/F, as flat plate is now readily available.
Will post pictures when finished.

Mike.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 03:01:25 pm »

Hey Mike

Carbon Fibre for rudder and propshaft fittings, I like that. Looking at my brass rudder shafts now and feeling  bit inadequate...  {:-{  (And overweight)

My Aquarama is going on a weight loss program, looking a bit like Swiss cheese... Pictures tomorrow.

Can't wait to see the CF results..! Hope all's well.
David.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 09:36:13 pm »

Hi Mike

You're certainly right about the weight of brass. I was going to use a 5mm inner shaft with a 10mm OD tube in my smaller 1:12 build but it weighs a tonne and looks too bulky so I'm changing to 4mm/8mm as per my Huntsman 28 build.

Excellent build as usual and looking forward to your CF parts.

Chris

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 09:55:56 pm »

Evening Chris.

I agree that the 10mm with 5mm shafts are far too heavy and would be an overkill. My wife's little Smart Car drive shafts are not that much bigger than that 😀.

I believe that your preference is for Rabosch maintenance free shafts, although pricey, you would be better using them.

Keep well.

Mike.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 10:07:48 pm »

Hi Mike

That's what I am using. Fine in the Swordsman 33 which is a much bigger/beamier hull and a bigger motor but no way in the H31. General advice is to use 5mm for a long prop shaft, the one I'm using is 490mm, but being Raboesch I'm sure the 4mm will be fine. I don't think they'd make it otherwise.

I don't know what I was thinking, well that was the problem, I didn't!  :embarrassed:
Chris

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 10:30:32 pm »

Chris.

490mm long shaft ! That seems very long, although all of the Fairy models seem to have the motor under the fwd cabin. It's the same with the Slec 47in. Huntsman

I just had to do something about that, which I thought was totally ridiculous and have brought the motors back by 200 mm, which was relatively easy, whist still being able to maintaining a shallow shaft angle. I think they are on or almost on the C.G. now.

Mike.

ChrisF

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2020, 10:20:49 am »

Yes, long shafts - I did reduce the length in the H28 though and may have to in the H31. As said it's a result of the low angle, the length of the connector and the position of the bulkheads.

The latter can be got round though and I could move the motor a little further back.

Easier to do in bigger models of course and with twin motors etc. definitely something that needs to be done.

Chris
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 21 queries.