Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Fairey Huntsman aft cabin becomes a Sports Fisherman  (Read 23229 times)

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
  • Never too old to learn !
Re: Fairey Huntsman aft cabin becomes a Sports Fisherman
« Reply #75 on: August 16, 2020, 10:40:18 am »

Evening Bob.
They are C3548. Let me know if you need anymore info.
Mike.

Thanks Mike,

I am not too knowledgable about brushless motors - but I have been lucky so far in choosing ones that just happen to work well in the boats I have fitted them into, but my 48" vintage Chris Craft Corvette will be my first twin shaft model that will be powered by a pair of brushless motors.

I actually bought a pair of Surpass C3542 (2820) 1450KV motors online, but when they arrived I thought they looked a bit "skimpy" to power such a big lump!

When I saw the pictures of your similar sized project with what looked like the "same size" motors I thought I would ask you about the spec as these little motors are available in three different KV ratings. I chose the 1450KV type - only because that is similar to the KV rating that has worked well with my other brushless motors, and not because of any educated reasoning!

Since buying them I am uncertain if I have made the right choice. Maybe the lower KV rated motors would have been a better choice and turn a larger prop - or maybe I would be better off with a pair of physically bigger motors?

I have other smaller classic  projects "on the go" that these motors should work OK in, so I would not be too worried if a different choice of brushless motor would suite the Corvette better?

I like my classic model boats of this type to perform authentically well,  and not just amble around the lake as the "real thing" does perform well and so I want my model to be able to replicate this same "white water" performance!

Any advice would be appreciated regarding the KV choice and can size for this size of craft.

Bob.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
  • I used to be indecisive... but now I'm not so sure
« Reply #76 on: August 16, 2020, 12:29:29 pm »

Hi Bob.

The 3548 seems to be unavailable now, so I would use the 3542/05 version now. Banggood have them @ £ 17.64 each + £1.03 postage. Same postage if you order 2.

The Tornado Thumper is exactly the same motor and available here in the U.K. for about £10 per motor more.

They should be good for your Chris Craft as long as it's not too heavy, 4.0 to 4.5 Kg. or less would be O.K.

Hope that helps.

Mike.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #77 on: August 16, 2020, 06:03:16 pm »

Hi Bob.

The 3548 seems to be unavailable now, so I would use the 3542/05 version now. Banggood have them @ £ 17.64 each + £1.03 postage. Same postage if you order 2.

The Tornado Thumper is exactly the same motor and available here in the U.K. for about £10 per motor more.

They should be good for your Chris Craft as long as it's not too heavy, 4.0 to 4.5 Kg. or less would be O.K

Hope that helps.

Mike.

Thanks Mike,

The 3542/05 motors that you suggest have 1250KV, the 3542 motors that I already have are 1450KV.  I don't really understand how the KV ratings work.  Would the lower KV give more torque and is why they would be more suitable for my 48" Corvette, and would you let me know what KV motor you have chosen for your Huntsman please?

As a matter of interest, I see today that Bangood are now also showing the 3548 motors as being in stock again and have a choice of three - 790KV, 900KV and 1100KV to choose from, as well as 1100KV, 1250V and 1450KV versions of the 3542 and they are all the same price - £17.34.

At the moment I am "confused of Rossendale", but hope to learn how to choose the right motors for my Corvette as the reasoning will help me with my future choices too!

Stay safe!

Bob.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #78 on: August 16, 2020, 08:57:35 pm »

Ho Bob.

Sorry for the mix up.

I couldn't find the 3548 motors on Banggood.

I am using the 1100 kv and they should be O.K.for your build. Very gentle start up, which is something that an awful lot of out runner brushless motors don't do, they tend to suddenly burst into life at quite high revs. In runners are even worse for that.

Do you have any idea what the likely approximate finished weight of the boat will be ?

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #79 on: August 16, 2020, 09:48:49 pm »

Me again Bob.

Further to the 3548/1100.

The 1100 watts is assuming that you use 4 cell LiPo's. That will make the the total Horse Power available per motor to 1.5 , so, you will have around 3 H.P. in total for your boat, reduce the watts and a reduction in H.P. will follow.
That applies to all brushless motors.
The KV the refers to the revs per volt of the motor battery. i.e. 1100kv connected to a 4 cell LiPo will give a theoretical RPM of 16200 rpm, ( KV1100x14.8v 4 cell LiPo ).

There is no more torque to be had in choosing a lower kv motor, just lower maximum revs available, although, the lower kv motor will draw less power from the batteries making it possible to use lower amperage ESC's which are invariably cheaper to buy.

Mike.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #80 on: August 16, 2020, 10:17:24 pm »

Ho Bob.

Sorry for the mix up.

I couldn't find the 3548 motors on Banggood.

I am using the 1100 kv and they should be O.K.for your build. Very gentle start up, which is something that an awful lot of out runner brushless motors don't do, they tend to suddenly burst into life at quite high revs. In runners are even worse for that.

Do you have any idea what the likely approximate finished weight of the boat will be ?

Mike.

Hi Mike,

I have just popped out to the workshop and weighed the Corvette on a pair of bathroom scales at approximately 10lb, but the boat is not finished yet

Add to the weight:-  x2 each of water cooled motor mounts, motors, prop shafts and couplings,  two cell 5500 LiPo packs, cooling pick-ups, outlets and tubing, glass fibre to fix the motor mounts and blend in the shafts and final finishing details and paint to get closer to the finished weight.

I will try to work out the weight of all that, but it could easily be another 5lb so the all up weight of the Corvette (with two LiPos) could easily be 15lbs, which is not that bad for a bulky 48" cabin cruiser........and it may need some ballast to get it down to the marks...........

That will probably be a fair bit heavier than your similar sized Huntsman variant and the bulky round bilge hull may not plane as easily either.

We will have to see.........

Stay safe,

Bob.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #81 on: August 16, 2020, 10:34:58 pm »

Hi Bob.

All is becoming clear now.

If it's a round bilge hull then it certainly won't plane.
That means that you don't need a high kv motor, the 900kv will be more than adequate for you.
You will also gain by using a smaller ESC and longer battery life too.
It's win win I think.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2020, 09:59:14 pm »

Evening Bob.

I've just looked at your corvette and notice that the hull is not a round bilge at all, but a shallow V with a small keel which should plane quite nicely.

I would stick with the Surpass motors, they seem to be perfect for the performance that you want. Also, it doesn't need to scream about the lake, that would look silly, but, still be able to lift it's skirts when needed and elegantly show what it can do, as the design deserves. It's going to be a lovely boat when finished and a credit to your building skills

Mike.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2020, 10:37:46 pm »

Evening Mike,

You are right - it is a shallow "V" and not a true round bilge. I have too many hulls "on the go" at the moment ......and a poor memory does not help much either !

I ordered the 1100KV Surpass motors (from Bangood) and they are already on the way to me. I have used a pair of 3542-1450 Surpass motors to align the prop shafts as I fit them, and I will change the motors over when the new ones arrive.

If the boat is too fast I would be happy to use the motors in a different model and replace them with a more thrifty 900KV to help gain a longer run time.

The boat is too big to "fly," and I don't want it to be unrealistic, but I have been looking at some video of the real thing and it does "get a shift on" and makes some nice "white water" and that is what I would like to replicate.

Thanks for your help.

Bob.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2020, 03:47:25 pm »

Good Afternoon all.

Having temporally stopped work on the Riva, I've been doing a little work on this one.

As I'm making it up as I go along, progress is very slow due to me not being able to decide exactly how I want the boat to look, but I now have a plan in my head on which way to go, so, here are a few pictures of the work so far, not very much really.

The cabin sides widow cutouts  are not finished as I need to decide on the the size and shape of it, or them in the remaining space, I'm leaning toward 1, picture 2039.
The huge missing part of the foredeck is due to the Fairy only having a tiny foredeck, so the part supplied in the kit was as you can see, a tad small.
I'll fill that without difficulty but it will be a bit of a fiddle as the deck is bowed, picture 2041.

The front window will be 1 piece Plexiglass with a darkish tint, shaped as a big curve running back to the sides.

The flying bridge will be removable if needed and will be about 80% of the length of the wheelhouse/forward cabin/saloon.

Off to SLEC tomorrow as I need some wood.
That's about all for now as I can feel a headache coming on, just one of many I think. >>:-( >>:-( :-))

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2020, 03:58:10 pm »

Hi.

I always try to pre bend plywood parts that need it, mainly so as not to build in unnecessary stresses that can be troublesome later in the build.

My next stage is to make the cabin roof and the front windscreen frame that will be cut after bending.

Some pictures of how I did it, simple and somewhat Heath Robinson, but it works.

The roof is only curved slightly, about 5.5mm at the centre. I used a piece of 6.4mm square the full length in the centre which was clamped along the outside.

The windscreen is simply held into shape using an elastic band and then packed on the inside until the desired shape reached.

Both pieces were soaked in water which was mixed with a little W/Up liquid and then layed in the Sun to dry. Speaking of W/U liquid solution, try to only use the

"Basics" type and keep the posh stuff for the kitchen, there are some additives in the more expensive brands that inhibit the action on wood somewhat that shows up

as not doing a very good job at softening or, very important to me, i.e. closing pin holes and levelling bruising.

Many of you will no doubt know all this, but some don't, so it maybe it will be of help to them.

Here are the pictures.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2020, 03:14:20 pm »

Afternoon all.

A little more work on the "UKM-46"

I've changed several pieces since the last post and probably will change some again as the build progresses The cabin sides have been shortened and the window cutouts altered slightly and will be changed a little more by enlarging a tad. The floor is just laid in place at this time as the 4mm plywood used is quite warped and has many surface faults to be filled before I can permanently fit it, following painting which can't be done in situ.

The cabin roof isn't cut to size or shaped yet and is shown with a jar of Lead holding it down as the 3mm ply is also warped and twisted. Needless to say my supplier of all wood has been changed. Their ply is much better quality and the hardwood is superb, not that much more expensive either as well as being just down the road.

Much of the painting will have to be done before the parts can be permanently fitted due to it being impossible to spray in situ and to have any chance of achieving an acceptable finish. I doubt that will happen this year as the temperature is now to low. That also applies to my big Riva Special.

Until the cabin roof is completed I can't start building the flying bridge or make any interior fixtures and fittings but any metal work isn't affected as the can be done come what may.

The mini jigsaw is proving to be very handy

Here are some pictures, BTW the piece of varnished Mahogany is to make the louvre door to the front cabin.

Mike.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2020, 06:17:59 pm »

Hi Mike, I was advised to have a look at this post as I'm contemplating building one of the SLEC kits in the near future. I am in awe of your workmanship......Amazing!!😊
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2020, 07:17:00 pm »

Hi Mike, I was advised to have a look at this post as I'm contemplating building one of the SLEC kits in the near future. I am in awe of your workmanship......Amazing!!😊
Hi Dave.

I don't think I will be able to help you much due to the fact that that I have only built the bare hull from the SLEC kit and that has been modified quite a lot. The bow has been re shaped along with the transom. The rest of the wood in the kit has been cut up and used in the build.
The rest of my build owes absolutely nothing whatsoever to the kit, but I can say that the wood quality is at best "reasonable", especially as much of the plywood is quite warped and the hull frames are a little flimsy and prone to bending, they should have been 4mm and not 3mm. I can't comment on the SLEC Fairy range as I've not built any of them.

Sorry, I wish I could have helped you.

Mike.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #89 on: October 17, 2020, 06:54:13 pm »

It’s a shame that it is getting so hard to find any really good quality strip wood and plywood for model making these days.

I have been buying my birch plywood from SLEC as they are better than my previous supply from J.Perkins, but when looking at the wood it does not compare well with what I see in some of my old original LesRo kits.

By contrast some of the strip wood in my early Aerokits kits was really poor - dry, brittle, and sometimes not very smooth either!

The wood used in some of the American made model boat kits can be even worse!

At the moment the plywood and strip wood from SLEC is the best I have been able to find, but it would be nice to find a source with quality like LesRo were able to include in their kits.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #90 on: October 17, 2020, 11:50:15 pm »

It’s a shame that it is getting so hard to find any really good quality strip wood and plywood for model making these days.

I have been buying my birch plywood from SLEC as they are better than my previous supply from J.Perkins, but when looking at the wood it does not compare well with what I see in some of my old original LesRo kits.

By contrast some of the strip wood in my early Aerokits kits was really poor - dry, brittle, and sometimes not very smooth either!

The wood used in some of the American made model boat kits can be even worse!

At the moment the plywood and strip wood from SLEC is the best I have been able to find, but it would be nice to find a source with quality like LesRo were able to include in their kits.
Hi Zooma.

I have changed my supplier also. I am buying all wood now from Hobbies who are handily only 20 mins. down the road from me.
The last order was for 3mm  Birch ply, 3mm lite ply ,3mm and 5mm Genuine Mahogany, not Sapele which is often sold as Mahogany.
The very high quality of the both ply and hardwood is the best that I have ever and the prices are reasonable as are carriage charges , £5.99 for orders up to £150 and free over that
Won't use anyone else now.

Mike.

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #91 on: October 18, 2020, 09:44:15 am »

Thanks for that Mike, I will take a look on their site and place an order.

Bob.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2020, 05:08:21 pm »

Here is the progress over these last few days, work is quite slow due to not having any plans or drawings to follow. All of those things are in my head so I can only visualise the next stage, then get on and do it, often making a part 2 or 3 times before it's right, Wastes an awful lot of time and materials but well worth it.

Anyway, here are some photos. I don't know how to add text between each picture so I'll explain each photo first.

Photo 90 shows the cabin roof pinned in place but not yet finally shaped at the front screen overhang, no screen cut out yet as the 3mm ply is drying following a soaking in boiling water with added Ammonia, hence the yellow appearance. It's well worth the the fiddly method because I will end up with a perfect that needs absolutely no pressure to hold in place.

Photos 91 and 93  shows the cabin sides jigs holding the inward lean angle perfect each side.

Photo 94 and 95 shows the hull floor temporally in place, the coloured spots are lightweight fine surface filler to correct the faults in the plywood.

Photo 97 gives some idea of the lines.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #93 on: October 19, 2020, 05:57:57 pm »

Evening Mike

Looking good to me.  The lines of the new superstructure are starting to come through, I think it's all going to look nicely balanced.

Very best regards
David.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #94 on: October 24, 2020, 04:31:12 pm »

I would appreciate your thoughts on the front windscreen.

Would you leave it as split, as is, or maybe thin the central upright a tad ?

Or else remove it altogether leaving just the whole screen as one piece ?

Option 1 is the easiest,  option 2 is the more difficult as I would have to heat shape the 2mm Lexon as it's quite stiff.

There will be an Aluminium frame for both options and an apron along the bottom.

Give it some thought if you would and let me know.

A couple of pictures showing where I am with it so far.

Mike.

davejay

• Full Mayhemer
  • Member of Swindon Model Boat and Engineering Club
« Reply #95 on: October 24, 2020, 06:52:24 pm »

Windscreen wise, I'd leave it as is, it looks more structurally correct!

Loving the craftsmanship so far😊
Imagine a world without boats!
Its not easy, I wont try, I just wont let it happen!

zooma

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #96 on: October 24, 2020, 06:58:52 pm »

I like the screen just the way it is Mike - it looks "right".

Nice work  :-))

Bob.

DJW

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #97 on: October 24, 2020, 07:18:25 pm »

I think the current split design is optimal too. Fitting design given vintage of the original boat.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #98 on: October 25, 2020, 10:39:57 pm »

Thanks for your opinions chaps, much appreciated.

I will be using the split screen, apart from it being the easiest of the two options, I noticed that the SLEC  Huntsman 47" doesn't have the split front screen the same as the full size which is also flat, which I don't like very much.

Hopefully that will remove any remaining similarity between my build and the SLEC kit/full size.

Mike.

ukmike

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2020, 09:36:37 pm »

Good Evening All.

A little more work on the boat at last.

Picture 2141 shows the Gunwale cap from 3mm x 7mm Limewood. It was soaked in near boiling water with added Ammonia for 30 mins. any more would have made it too soft. It was shaped and held in place with Brass pins and left overnight to dry. Bending it was quite straight forward apart from the very tight curve at the bow.

Pic.2160 is the Mk.2 fitted version of the Gunwale cap. Scrapped the first idea as it was rubbish. There will be more on items the foredeck later, so it won't look so bare when finished.

Pic. 2158 Sides sanded flat for the fendering to be added much later.

Pic. 2148 Hatch cover with sliding bottom so that people going down into the Fwd. Cabin don't hit their heads.

Pic. 2168 is the kit that I made for the Louvre Door leading to the Fwd. Cabin.   Enjoyed that bit.

Pic  2182 The Louver Door almost finished, just needs some more sanding before varnishing. The slats are not glued at this stage because it would have been a nightmare the remove any excess glue that got onto them.
As the slats are removable, it will make the frame very easy to clean up any excess glue, the slats will be the last parts fitted and they will automatically become glued by the varnish due to the very snug fit into the slots.  Enjoyed that bit also

Mike.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.