Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Pelagic Trawler Build RESEARCH LK 62  (Read 16710 times)

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
Re: Pelagic Trawler Build RESEARCH LK 62
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2020, 06:41:14 pm »

Just a small update on the trawler removed the plug from the mould today. It came out no problem, next job laying up the hull.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2020, 06:57:57 pm »

Looks good to me.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2020, 09:45:38 pm »

Looks good to me.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Cheers Ray she is progressing, hopefully I will get down to start building a model once I get the hull out. 

RST

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2020, 10:31:38 pm »

I admire you guys building a plug, then a mould then taking a moulding. That's dedication and for me building three times over!  Do you sell on more mouldings after or leave them as one-offs?

Rich

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2020, 11:34:10 pm »

Just building the trawler as a one off Rich, I have been looking for a Pelagic Trawler hull around 1/50 scale for quite some time but I could not find anyone that did one, so I started emailing builders and owners of this type of vessel. eventually it came up trumps I received the the info I needed to build the RESEARCH LK 62

RST

« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2020, 12:07:27 am »

Hi, yes it's a lot of work so far. Very admirable.

I was actually in Denholm Seafoods in Peterhead a few times in my last job and what these boats can bring in in terms of tonnage, and revenue in one unloading is just immense. They are quite awesome floating machines in their own right, no wonder the cost of them! Nothing like a regular trawler can output by order of several magnitude.

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
Davie Tait,
Scotland

nemesis

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2020, 02:42:04 pm »

Great set if photos, godsend if you are building her. First time I have seen a ballroom for a bridge. Excellent. nemesis

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2020, 03:06:41 pm »

Did I really spot a tropical fish aquarium in what I assume is the crew's mess?  Is it just me or is that slightly bizarre in a fishing boat?

Maybe it is just me.  Or maybe it isn't an aquarium.  %%

Greg

DavieTait

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2020, 03:17:24 pm »

Looks like a flat panel monitor set up to display fish , wouldn't be a fish tank aboard , these boats only work a maximum 4 months a year on very strict quotas so be a bit of a pain to have to go down every day to feed fish lol
Davie Tait,
Scotland

steve mahoney

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2020, 08:36:28 pm »

After looking at those photos of the work decks I hope you like soldering Brian.  ok2

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2020, 10:11:48 pm »

Great photos Davie, I have quite a lot of detailed deck photos on the Research that a friend let me have I'm looking forward to the build, I will be pulling the hull out of the mould tomorrow  :-))

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2020, 08:51:46 am »

Did I really spot a tropical fish aquarium in what I assume is the crew's mess?  Is it just me or is that slightly bizarre in a fishing boat?

Maybe it is just me.  Or maybe it isn't an aquarium.  %%

Greg

Looked more like one of those living fire units (no fire just an illusion unit), the rest look like 50" TV's, Nice work place but the concept of taking so much out in each trip is not sustainable unless the area is managed and the stocks replenish in excess of whats taken - just my opinion.
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2020, 06:58:48 pm »

Removed the hull from the plug today I'm really pleased the way she has turned out.

16-21

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2020, 07:06:37 pm »

Wow,
Now that is a cracking hull
Well done Brian.
You just have to decide which model to build.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2020, 07:44:51 pm »

Well impressed - congratulations mate  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

towrope

• Shipmate
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2020, 10:18:58 pm »

Hi Brian nice job did you get that felling of satisfaction when it came out of the plug, What now is it full ahead on the Research or is it a little bit on both Stevens and Research happy building and stay safe look forward to seeing your progress which ever one you do like I said before its a pleasure and inspiration to watch your builds all the best mate.   

RST

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2020, 10:46:15 pm »

The screen in contention before is a faux fireplace!  Actually I'm amazed at the layout of this In general, the crew quarters look really good andcand nicely laid out but these boats are  well known for it.

One or 2 questions if you don't mind as I'm in inyrigued from the flicker link -my perspective has only been before o the wharf looking up from the quayside at denhholm seafoods bit in Peterhead..  there are carousels and pumps which look like they are deployed subsea.  Bend restrictors.  Nothing looks like it ties in with my experience offshore though I know these boats carry little ROVs. Also I know some boats carry fish pumps but I can't see anything quite big enough in here? Absolutely fascinating on equipment.  I been in the processing plant often enough to understand the discharge from these boats.

....sorry for my questions! Nice moulding!

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2020, 08:03:25 am »

Hi Brian nice job did you get that felling of satisfaction when it came out of the plug, What now is it full ahead on the Research or is it a little bit on both Stevens and Research happy building and stay safe look forward to seeing your progress which ever one you do like I said before its a pleasure and inspiration to watch your builds all the best mate.

It was a great feeling  with both the hulls as I took them from the mould, another part of modelling that I'm happy with know, I have always been a bit apprehensive about working with glass fibre as i have a chest problem but with an industrial mask and good ventilation it worked out OK. (I won't be turning hulls out for a living LOL) As far as the models go I will be building them together up to deck level and then concentrate on either the Trawler or the Tug  :-))

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2020, 08:30:35 am »

The screen in contention before is a faux fireplace!  Actually I'm amazed at the layout of this In general, the crew quarters look really good andcand nicely laid out but these boats are  well known for it.

One or 2 questions if you don't mind as I'm in inyrigued from the flicker link -my perspective has only been before o the wharf looking up from the quayside at denhholm seafoods bit in Peterhead..  there are carousels and pumps which look like they are deployed subsea.  Bend restrictors.  Nothing looks like it ties in with my experience offshore though I know these boats carry little ROVs. Also I know some boats carry fish pumps but I can't see anything quite big enough in here? Absolutely fascinating on equipment.  I been in the processing plant often enough to understand the discharge from these boats.

....sorry for my questions! Nice moulding!

Hi RST this is the first time I have attempted a Pelagic Trawler and it will be a totally new learning curve lots to learn, I know my way around Tugs but Trawlers will be a new experience, the last time i had anything to do with fishing was 55 years ago and that was on board the Ben Glass  a side trawler owned by Richard Ervin from North Shields, I quickly learned that this was not the carrier for me
(a lot easier ways to make a living, I take my hat off to these guys )
I have attached a couple of photos showing the fish pumps system.

RST

« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 09:18:47 am »

'tis fish pumps then. Used to sell that kind of stuff for (onshore) use.  I always felt sorry for the fish going through though they come out of the other end supposedly quite unhurt, or the mortality rate is acceptable.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2020, 08:38:23 pm »

A small update on the hull, bulwarks trimmed and rubbing strakes added

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2020, 09:21:48 pm »

Good work on those bulwarks Brian, must be a bit of a nightmare getting those to the correct shape.  :o

Incidentally, I also started in the fishing as deckie-learner aboard the Ben Glas, probably about 6 years after you as I was about 17yrs old at the time.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2020, 11:16:54 pm »

Good work on those bulwarks Brian, must be a bit of a nightmare getting those to the correct shape.  :o

Incidentally, I also started in the fishing as deckie-learner aboard the Ben Glas, probably about 6 years after you as I was about 17yrs old at the time.  :-))

Regards,
Ray.

Its a small world Ray, both my mates were on the same trawler, they both ended up as first mates years later.
she is starting to take shape, the thin strips along the top i left on as they join onto the wheelhouse superstructure  :-))

chipchase

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2020, 10:17:04 pm »

Got a start adding a bit detail with the hull, bow deck and runners dry fitted I won't be able to make this permanent until I have made the bow thrusters, I have cut the holes  through the hull for stern and bow thrusters. I also made the prop shaft as I will be fitting the nozzle and prop over the new couple of days, the prop is 70mm supplied by Simon from Protean Design, excellent quality as usual from Simon.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 22 queries.