Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A leaky DF95.  (Read 1686 times)

old man

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
A leaky DF95.
« on: November 04, 2020, 01:39:44 pm »

Following Monday's sail where the breeze was a bit top end for A sails, the boat had shipped a bit of water, Not altogether a surprise as I had previously experienced water on board sometimes.
I had previously dropped the boat rather than step on our old dog. It fell on the keel from waist height.
Anyway, thinking the keel box might be the problem I took it apart, no sign of any sealant anywhere. Looking into the hull there didn't appear to be a way for water to enter the hull via that route so will aim on reassembly with silicone.
Thinking on as one does, has anyone experience of water ingress via the rudder area? Not knowing the hull interior there is a problem.

Thanks in anticipation. OM
Not sinking just yet but control is problematic.

No smoke or grinding is a bonus!

knoby

• Full Mayhemer
Re: A leaky DF95.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 06:31:34 pm »

Unlikely to be getting in from the rudder as that is a 10mm tube moulded into the hull much the same way as the keel box. Then the plastic inserts are added top & bottom to hold the rudder post.
Much more likely that when you dropped it you have fractured around the keel box. This is a known weakness on both 65's & 95's, although more common on the 65's.They tend to be hairline cracks & can be very hard to see.
It is also common for the deck hatch to leak unless you use good quality tape & ensure it is 100% stuck down, especially at the tape overlaps.
Best practise is to seal up the hatch & pressure test the hull using soapy water to detect any air leaks, you only need 2 or 3 psi. I usually attach an air line to the drain hole, but you can use a straw & blow too.
i was lucky with my 95 & found no hull cracks, just slight leaks around the hatch tape (which i would have sworn I had stuck down 100%), the sheet pulley & the bellows. It is amazing how much water was getting in through these tiny gaps.
The path of excess leads to the tower of knowledge

old man

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
Re: A leaky DF95.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2020, 09:40:09 am »

Thanks knoby.

Just needed to confirm the possible construction of the rudder tube.
All sealed as best as possible.
Sailing test when lockdown lifted. OM
Not sinking just yet but control is problematic.

No smoke or grinding is a bonus!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 22 queries.