Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Planning the way forward.  (Read 1786 times)

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
Planning the way forward.
« on: April 29, 2020, 12:58:24 pm »

Colwyn Bay MBC are now addressing how we will eventually re-start our activities in a public park.
The first hurdle is maintaining the 2metre distancing not only between club members, but also from the public visitors to the park who will also be doing their own thing.
The first suggestion has been received and so now we need to decide on colours.
Is your club investigating how to re-open?
p.s. how do you add images to appear in the post?

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
Re: Planning the way forward.
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2020, 02:21:06 pm »

Kinmel
Click on "Attachments and other options"  below the message text box; Browse the computer (or whatever) for the file you want, then Open it and the file name will appear alongside the Browse box. The picture won't appear in a Preview but will be there when you've posted the message. Do note the file types and maximum size. BTW I've just noticed that you can now attach more than just a jpg file - could be useful.
DM

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 03:31:37 pm »

Thanks Dave
That is what I thought I had done.  :embarrassed:

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 03:43:06 pm »

Kimmel here's your picture. Funny that didn't work this time  <*<

Don't Assume Check

malcolmfrary

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 03:44:35 pm »

I tried downloading your attached image.  When trying to open it I got the message "self_distancing.jpg is a WEBP file with an incorrect extension"
I let Irfanview correct that and resaved it.  Inserted on here, hopefully.

"With the right tool, you can break anything" - Garfield

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 03:53:23 pm »

Thanks  :-)) I am glad someone knows what I am doing !

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 05:54:12 pm »

Kinmel,
You should take up straight running (as I demonstrated a few years ago up there at the Mayors cup) two persons 40 Mtrs apart....no problem  :-)) :-)) :-)) :-))
Steamed up all the time

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 06:07:38 pm »

Both wearing Marigolds of course Phil.  ;)

Colin

SteamboatPhil

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 06:09:53 pm »

I never take them off Colin  :}
Steamed up all the time

Ron Rees

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 06:18:00 pm »

Doesn't Marigold get fed up with you guys wearing her stuff?.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 06:28:20 pm »

We all want to get back to enjoy our sailing and hopefully get back to something like normality. Yes we can make plans to start meeting again but I think this may be along way off. The government did say the lock down could last well into June.

Stan.

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 07:46:59 pm »

My original post was light hearted, but clubs sailing in public spaces will face real hurdles when trying to start up again.

We have no idea when, or how the restrictions will be eased, but we do believe that it is worth looking now at all the scenarios and set out plans for each.
Right now we have lots of time on our hands to examine options and consider them carefully, that should get us back on the lake much faster.

We won't think of them all, we won't find solutions to all those we do think of.  However for most scenarios we will have ready-to-run plans and each with an H&S assessment. They will go to the council for them to consider in advance.

Our lake the is the largest area of the park with a 6ft wide footpath round it and most park visitors walk, or cycle round it.   We used to control our boats whilst stood on that footpath, but there is no social distancing possible at the lakeside.
Can we re-arrange things so we launch our models from within the protection of the boathouse?   

Can we then create protected areas back from the lake to stand in whilst controlling our models?
Would it be better to build a temporary platform in the lake and sail from that?  If so, how and at what cost ?

Do we need PPE and should the club buy masks etc now, whilst Banggood have UK stock?
The list is growing all the time.
What are other clubs doing to prepare for that great day, we would love to hear your ideas.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 08:43:50 pm »

HI Kinmel certainly food for thought. When things start to become more clear it may be for clubs that operate in public places time to provide a H/S document and M/S and liaise with the local councils to see the requirements needed to allow sailing to restart.

Stan. {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{ {:-{

RST

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 09:12:15 pm »

Gosh I read the OP with a bit of seriousness until I downloaded the attachment.  Crinoline's aside, perhaps the model railway world might tech us something: not to wash or shave for 2 months, rub onions everywhere and wear an inordinately big backpack you flip round everywhere -it seems to keep people back at the few shows I ever visited and (tongue in cheek) seems to work quite well! LoL.

Capt Podge

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 09:59:29 pm »

With all the nice weather we've had lately, I dread to think what state the lake is going to be.
If previous years are anything to go by, we'll be spending quite a bit of time dealing with the dreaded weed :o

As for health and safety, it would be a good idea for the club committee to perhaps think about holding a weekly video call - doesn't need to be a full committee, although that would be preferable  %)

Regards,
Ray.

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 10:18:29 pm »

Hi Ray not sure about the V/call some of our C/members struggle with e/mails.I intend to make contact with our council for some guide lines for the future return. Personal I think this may be a very very long way away.

Stan. <:( <:(

tigertiger

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2020, 02:05:12 am »

Joking aside now.

You could consider using fold out dog barriers (see pics), maybe even DIYs some, and sit within/behind them with a fishing stool. Hang a sign saying keep 2m away, etc. These could be set up 2m plus from the path, and at least 2m apart from each other to maintain social distancing.
Or you could use the roll out warning fence, and fashion some fence posts out of rebar. Maybe some guy ropes and tent pegs needed as well. The holes in the grass will be minimal and the council may not object, you are aerating the soil.
I doubt the parks will be very busy in the beginning. If you set your boats up in your pen (sounds like submarines) then just walk to the water's edge for a quick launch when there is a break in foot traffic.

You could also consider mid-week sails, when there are less members of the public, but that would of course limit the number of members that could attend.

It is worth running these ideas past the council.
The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

kinmel

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2020, 08:35:03 am »

Thanks TT
The more ideas the better

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2020, 09:04:26 am »

Why not adopt the same idea used in supermarkets mark 2mtrs on the paths you use. Looking at the latest news this morning when things slowly get back to normal the vulnerable may be in lockdown far longer. Sadly we may have to assume 2020 will be a total washout.We all hope this is not the case but staying safe is more important than sailing our models. This may seem harse but I for one wish to be around for many years to come and if this means no sailing or attending shows so be it. I will be contacting our council contact by e mail next week to explore the options for a safe return in the future.

Stan

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 09:48:24 am »

I don't thik there is any point in contacting your Council just yet Stan. They won't be able to give you an answer as they will be constrained by whatever advice/instructions the Government gives on its policy for emerging from lockdown. Once this has been published it will need to be interpreted and then you may be able to approach the Council with proposals to meet whatever strictures the Government has laid down in respect of gatherings and activities.

Colin

Tug Fanatic

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 10:37:48 am »

Some posts above talk about when the restrictions will be eased but for me that is only part of the problem.

There is a lot of pressure to ease restrictions from various parts of the economy, eg pubs & restaurants, which to me means that I don't trust the government to do what needs to be done to keep me safe but rather to do what keeps the number of cases at a manageable level.

As a vulnerable person the official answer seems to be to lock me up forever.  I don't want to be locked up for ever so distancing will matter to me even if the restrictions are eased if I am ever to get back to the pond before a vacine is developed. This might be for a very long time.

I cannot realistically see putting up fencing for each member as a possibility yet I do need to stop the public coming to stand beside me.

If this is a banned matter please remove this post but I welcome the discussion.

The only answer that I can see is not to go near big public parks with lots of people but rather to restrict myself to the village pond where I can stand somewhere that I can see people coming and there are a lot less people to come. A small sign on the path either side of me would be enough.

Colin Bishop

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 10:43:00 am »

I do need to stop the public coming to stand beside me.

Stop washing now!  :-))

Colin

warspite

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2020, 11:14:58 am »

We could all were one of these  {-)
Operational - 1/72 LCMIII, 1/180 Sovereign, HMS Victory to be sailed
Non Operational - 1/72 Corvette, 1/72 E-Boat, 1/72 vosper mtb
incomplete, tug, cardboard castle class convert
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.101 seconds with 22 queries.