Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Filler?  (Read 3580 times)

RST

Re: Filler?
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2020, 07:44:34 pm »

I ordred a tube of squadron and testors at same time.  Delivery the same and the squadron turned up on Saturday.
I can only see one person selling testors also in the UK (I got my tube from EOL modelisme near Austerlitz in Paris!).  Don't be put off either with the soft consisteny, and actually I doubted the cap also, but it cleans off and didn't dry out like screw tops (not that I can get back to my apartment in France to check at the moment!).
So I broke the seal on the squadron this morning to have a look -Hmm.  if that's an "improved" formula I'll eat my hat.  Seems to have the same ingredient (presumably) toluene as it smells the same but I admit first impressions don't seem good.  Coming where it's from it lacks any basic safety info on whats inside.  I've just cobbled a bt of polystyrene sheet together to test it.
Humbrol filler: I'd go for the Plasto personally.

...Unless all the mixtures have changed the past 6 months!

RST

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2020, 08:52:46 pm »

I've just written up a bit of a review of the new stuff, but to be honest it's not worth posting or even editing the pics. so far.  The new stuff isn't good at all.  Fair to say HOPELESS so far.  I've contacted the seller asking whats going on.  If this truly is the new formula and they can't supply any of the proper stuff, it's left an essential hole in my box of time proven products again.  Seems more and more difficult each year to get decent materials these days.

Thanks for the heads-up guys.

Rich

edinsteve

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2020, 03:07:06 pm »

I tried a water based filler (MD super filler) which you can stain but it wasn’t any good for other than a grain filler and even didn’t seem to adhere in joins between planks. Milliput did a much better job and can be smoothed off with a wet brush or spatula needing minimal sanding. Also it is supposed to be able to be drilled etc. when hard. On earlier models I have used Polyfilla fine surface filler which kept it’s integrity when dry unlike that first filler (MD) which just sanded off as dust.
“Cutty Sark”; “Bounty”;”Northlight” puffer;”Lifeboat B101”;”Fifie”

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2020, 08:24:31 am »

I find it incredulous that Squadron did not product test the new stuff with established modellers for appraisal before going headlong into mass production of something fit for the bin.
I've contacted the seller I linked to earlier to get confirmation that it is old stock and will let you know later today.

I did quite some time ago email squadron with my concerns and of course was ignored.

One theory is that something in the original contents became a banned ingredient but who knows
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 11:06:45 am »

I find it incredulous that Squadron did not product test the new stuff with established modellers for appraisal before going headlong into mass production of something fit for the bin.
I've contacted the seller I linked to earlier to get confirmation that it is old stock and will let you know later today.

I did quite some time ago email squadron with my concerns and of course was ignored.

One theory is that something in the original contents became a banned ingredient but who knows

I've just got off the phone and must report that the pictures are not the item being sold but that the product is the new stuff. He has had other people enquiring the same so clearly word is spreading.

EDIT I have suggested that he alters the listing to clarify or changes the pictures
https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/squadron-green-putty-13989-p.asp
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2020, 01:54:36 pm »

When I returned the filler to Leeds Model shop I was advised by the young lad to give this a try.

I was sceptical but I guess desperate however after a few weeks I've only just been forced to give it a try.

I will give it a thumbs up  :-))  I commonly used squadron on wood, acrylic paint and resin/grp parts.
This fits the bill on the first two for sure

ANDY
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.09 seconds with 21 queries.