Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Filler?  (Read 3581 times)

timg

• Full Mayhemer
Filler?
« on: April 28, 2020, 10:43:24 pm »

Hi All
I normally use squadron white putty to fill gaps on plastic card and white metal fittings, but as another member has already mentioned that the quality of this product has changed.  The new tube i have started to use sets like rubber which isn't very helpful.
Can anyone recommend a good filler please
Thanks
Timg

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
Re: Filler?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 11:16:23 pm »

I’m not sure if this is old stock or a re introduction of the original mix
Anyway the main difference is the shape of the screw cap. The new crap is like a toothpaste tube cap the old is much flatter shaped
I’ve yet to try this
https://www.modellingtools.co.uk/squadron-green-putty-13989-p.asp

I must add that I don’t recognise the graphics on this so I’m more in favour of it being the new old stuff
ANDY
You’ll only know your best effort if you don’t give up.

dougal99

• Full Mayhemer
  • Huntingdon, Cambs, England
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2020, 08:15:38 am »

I've started using Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty. Works well for me. As with all these single part fillers it does seem to go off with age. I suppose the solution is to use more faster  {-)
Don't Assume Check

roycv

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2020, 08:25:30 am »

Hi, I use car body filler, the last stuff I bought was from The Range called Auto Care.  I was critical at first as the hardener and filler are both white so how do you know it is mixed?  My usual choice is P38.

Then I thought well I rarely use it as white but mix a small amount of enamel paint with it to match where it is going.  I now mix the small amount of colour with the hardener first and then with the filler.  You can now be confident it is mixed correctly.
The paint does not seem to affect the setting of the filler and it dries hard.
Regards
Roy

coch y bonddu

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2020, 08:30:20 am »

Trouble is with these air drying products is simple really as soon as you open it.......I use Dolphin Glaze it is a fine filler and as it chemically hardens it does not dry out in the tube.

Dave

RST

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2020, 12:33:10 pm »

as another member has already mentioned that the quality of this product has changed.

Have you a link to that particular comment please?  You got me a bit worried as Squadron is my No 1 choice as a one part "putty".  Actually I hadn't noticed the packaging changed until now -it looks like the last tube I had was "new style" print layout, but still an old style cap.  I'm waiting on more coming so we'll see if there's any difference with this tube -the only problem I've had with it in the past is if you use too much at once -but thats the same problem for just about any filler really.

My No 2 product (pretty equal to Squadron) is Testors Contour Putty.  It's slightly thinner than Squadron.  Still dries quick, hard and sands very easy.

Deluxe plastic putty: waterbased (hmm = I can't tell the difference between it and decorators caulk from BnQ).  Not a fan.  I think Deluxe like Apple, have a superb marketing department.  Might be OK on wood or card bt not tried.  Only tried one tube on plastic so far, won't bother with it again even if it's the last thing left in the drawer.

2k e.g. polyester based I don't think is comparing apples with apples.  Sure for a big area, but from OP description I don't think I'd crack my bag of Dolphin Glaze or P38 open for a few small spots to fill.

Try the Testors -it's on Ebay etc and not too expensive.

Rich

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2020, 12:52:53 pm »

The new squadron is more a texture of snot and nothing like the original
ANDY

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
  • Why on earth do I do this?
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2020, 02:31:43 pm »

Andy
There's always some "snot" that dribbles out when you open a new tube of Squadron. I've just squeezed all that out before getting down to the 'good stuff'. I tend to add a drop or two of cellulose thinners to it and squidge it around a bit to soften it before applying it. I used some just yesterday and it set up very well overnight on a composite part of brass and styrene. That said, it's probably a couple of years since I bought it. The tube has a shallow white cap which isn't knurled around the edge.
DaveM

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 02:59:18 pm »

Sorry Dave but our findings at Leeds model shop was that it’s the same all the way down
There are you tube videos of the new stuff seems it favours plastic aircraft now.
The only identifier externally is the change of screw cap
It even smells different
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2020, 03:04:17 pm »

This tube is over 3yrs old and still ok if I squeeze a bit out first.
This is the original screw cap. Leeds model shop refunded me on the new stuff. I suggest people buy it and draw their own conclusion but fore warned  O0     As Tim said is dries rubbery  :((

ANDY

timg

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2020, 04:14:26 pm »

Hi Taranis
The cap on the new tube is larger  ( like a toothpaste tube) , I have emptied over half the tube and it is still has the same consistency.
I normally use the filler in the house so I have to stay away from the two part stuff,
I will try some [size=0px]Testors Contour Putty or the [/size][/size][size=0px]Deluxe Materials Perfect Plastic Putty [/size]
[/size][size=0px]Thanks for the replies [/size]
[/size][size=0px]Timg[/size]

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 04:17:40 pm »

Yes Squadron made no announcement of any changes but it is a VERY different product now. Snot from start to finish.

I think on you tube its referred to as improved formula  {-) {-) {-)
ANDY

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2020, 05:09:29 pm »

ANDY

RST

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2020, 06:50:00 pm »

Oof! Thanks for the YouTube link. Last minute or so says it all for me. Cleans off your fingers, so won't stick like it is supposed to either!  Looks to me like they've gone down the Deluxe route. That's a big mistake! Fingers crossed when mine turns up.

I might be switching to testors from now.

Rich

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2020, 07:17:16 pm »

Seems that if I keep the cap on the tube then this stuff I have will see me out. Fortunately I have little need for fillers of any kind.....  :P
DaveM

RST

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2020, 09:06:43 pm »

I read that with an internal monologue of Alec Guinness for some reason. I've not attained that level of expertise yet.

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2020, 09:48:25 pm »

Hi Gents,
 Is it just the green stuff or is the white stuff just as bad as I have a tube of the white for a few years now so take that's the older stuff.
                 Regards Howard.

Taranis

• Full Mayhemer
  • Balne Moor MBC
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2020, 10:13:35 pm »

I have not tried the new green but I imagine the change is the same
ANDY

Subculture

• Full Mayhemer
    • Dive-in to Model submarines
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2020, 10:18:19 pm »

3M Acryl red or green is superior stuff for very fine filling. this is used in the motor trade for filling sanding scratches.

You can only buy it in large tubes, so it lasts a long time for a modelmaker, but it stores well, and when it does start to dry, you can decant it into a jar, mix with a little cellulose thinners.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2020, 11:24:54 pm »

I read that with an internal monologue of Alec Guinness for some reason.
Yes - it was a bit Obi Wan Kenobi, wasn't it? Was the line "These aren't the droids you're looking for" or something like that?
DM

RST

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2020, 12:49:15 am »

I read that with an internal monologue of Alec Guinness for some reason.
Yes - it was a bit Obi Wan Kenobi, wasn't it? Was the line "These aren't the droids you're looking for" or something like that?
DM
...attained a level he need not bother imself with, for the rest of us mortals, we still need stuff like this.

DaveM

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2020, 08:45:48 am »

Yes, that was the point of the joke - hence the tongue-out smiley.

DM

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2020, 09:05:04 am »

I'm very glad I read this thread. :-)) [/size]  I was just about to order another tube of Squadron White. >:-o [/size]  I think I'll try the Testors, although there is only one UK source on eBay.[/size]Barrie

barriew

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2020, 02:02:04 pm »

My Testors filler arrived Saturday- very quick delivery from Perkins. I don't think its a replacement for Squadron. It does have its uses, but it is very fine and quite runny. It will be good for the very final filling, but not for more than a scratch. Also the tube doesn't seal well - only a push on lid.
I will have to try Humbrol's filler which I gave up for Squadron because of its colour - more difficult to cover with white paint. The other alternative if Holts Knifing Putty, but again its a darker colour.

Barrie

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2020, 05:34:38 pm »

It sounds like they may have greatly reduced or removed totally the Toluene from the mix. It did have a VERY high content of this rather nasty stuff originally. Better for your health, worse for filling gaps?
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.092 seconds with 22 queries.