Model Boat Mayhem

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length.
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: I give up on Humbrol!  (Read 3016 times)

RST

I give up on Humbrol!
« on: May 01, 2020, 09:54:29 pm »

...What a load of unpredictable junk Humbrol "enamel" tinlets have become, not become but got worse again!  I'm just appalled at the finish on them now!

(Brush painting)

I give up.  I think I'm going to convert to Revell tinlets for everything now -they are a bit different, dry very quick and a bit difficult to use but a hundred percent better than most guff that Humbrol pumps out these days!

(attached picture of Humbrol finish is being kind, looks much worse in real life and 100% better after I went over with Revell!!!!)

RST

Re: I give up on Humbrol!
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 10:09:52 pm »

...Revell is not without diffculties but at least achieves a reasonable finish.  It seems less hard to solvents though -not hard after 3 or 4 days still if you try and wipe with thinners or white spirit but at least it coats better.  Black and antifoul now both in Revell, humbrol were a disaster...

Howard

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2020, 10:19:40 pm »

HI RST,
 Like most things these days made in China  am lucky and bought a tin of nearly all their colours when made in Hull some a few of some as yet I have never opened like hens teeth all ok just take a bit longer to stir I keep them for detailing bits thinking of trying Tamiya colours see that they're like.
                   Regards Howard.

RST

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2020, 10:42:38 pm »

Hi Howard, I too have just a few left from the good old days of humbrol.  Not so many now.  Back before they re-branded to "color", before they went really bad after and came back a bit since.
I love tamiya also -but for airbrushing and I can't set-up my booth now, they're a bit difficult to brush on a big area and I still think acrylic is a bit soft in the end.  Think I'm stuck on revell for as  a workable paint now...
Rich

chas

• Full Mayhemer
  • now in los montesinos Spain.
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2020, 12:05:44 pm »

Humbrol paints are now made in Britain again, the problem is there is still a lot of the Chinese made junk out there. I've just been painting with a freshly produced tin, it's excellent, but I also got a tin of the Chinese made stuff by accident , truly awful. I wish I could tell them apart. I believe Humbrol regret their experiment with foreign manufacture, but at least they've had the sense to put things right, and I will try to keep supporting this British manufacturer,  as long as I can get freshly made stock.
Chas

ballastanksian

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem inspires me!
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2020, 01:50:54 pm »

They went like thick paste and don't mix with thinners very well :( I will be looking at buying directly from Airfix or from dealers I know who have fresh stocks.

Not an easy thing to find out though, as they want to get their old stocks sold before buying new, so the gash Chinese stuff will be about damaging reputations for a while yet.
Pond weed is your enemy

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2020, 04:27:17 pm »

Just opened a tin of orange  best way of describing it just like porridge.  The rest of the cans i have seem ok.

Stan.

Peter Fitness

• Global Moderator
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2020, 12:38:35 am »

I have some Humbrol paints, mainly railway and military aircraft colours, that I have had for close to 40 years, and they are still quite usable. As long as they're well sealed they don't harden, although some do need a little thinning. I have noticed that some of the newer tins are quite poor, so maybe they are the Chinese manufactured ones.

Peter.

david48

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2020, 12:46:31 am »

All the paint, thinners ,liquid mask and various brushes and rattle can   for my Fairmount Alpine are Humbrol , bought of there web site . No problem with any thing . I followed there 'how to' video's all good . Have a look .
David   
Two heads are better than one sheep head  as my old plant manager used to say

Baldrick

• Full Mayhemer
  • Model Boat Mayhem is Great!
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2020, 08:39:40 am »

About a month ago  I bought a small tin of Humbrol matt black 155 . The art shop had to order it in for me as they were out of stock.   When I opened it it was horrible grey sludge , no amount of stirring made it look anything like black.  I still have the tin , thought it might come in handy if I wish to texture something orrible {:-{   Just realised in typing this I was looking for a way to make the fender tyres for ST Cervia look really gungy

https://www.modelboatmayhemimages.co.uk/image/ZFhIn

And everyone thought it was IVAN who was terrible

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2020, 11:17:34 am »

Humbrol 155 is Olive Drab, would take some serious stirring to turn that black!
But seriously, Humbrol is now manufactured here in the UK again. Look out for the pale blue wave on the tin which denotes UK production. The dark blue solid line round the bottom of the tin is almost always the Chinese product.
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

KitS

• Full Mayhemer
  • Getting back into the hobby after years adrift...
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2020, 12:58:47 pm »

Look out for the pale blue wave on the tin which denotes UK production. The dark blue solid line round the bottom of the tin is almost always the Chinese product.

That's useful to know, thanks for the tip.  :-))
Regards
Kit

SailorGreg

• Full Mayhemer
  • Money talks - it says goodbye
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2020, 06:46:01 pm »

So the one on the left is OK, but not the one on the right?  I have only used both for some detail stuff so can't say I noticed any variation in quality, but if I was painting a large area I guess that would become evident.

Greg

RST

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2020, 07:05:29 pm »

I didn't realise the wavy scheme represented UK now. I've actually had lots of problems with the new UK stuff also knowing that. Satin is just hopeless.  I recon my experience of Humbrol now is a 30% success on getting a decent tin, Revell is not without issues but probably 80%+ chance of success with Revell.

Rich

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2020, 08:34:33 pm »

With reference to the Humbrol range of paints in particular the the satin range I have used these many times and never had any problems this applies to the Matt range also. Most of my painting is done with an airbrush the reason I decided to to use this method was that brush painting never gave good results. But if you wish to brush paint then to me you have to spend a considerable amount on high quality brushes. Over the years i have used many types of paints and i have say they all have a problem of some sort. During my last fishing boat build i bought 3 tins green on opening them the shades were totally different a phone call to Hornby and hey three new tins arrived the next day no problems. Like most things in the model world we will encounter problems some small some large but we are model builders and we get over problems. I have enclosed some pictures of some of my models painted with Humbrol satin paints. With my earlier post on the orange paint this now been thinned and is fine. One final  thing i have found  that once a tin is opened store upside down hopefully this  stops a skin forming. My reply wishes to cause no offence these are my thoughts on this matter only.

Stan. 

unbuiltnautilus

• Portsmouth Model Boat Display Team
  • Full Mayhemer
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 09:24:13 pm »

I have stopped airbrushing enamels as I kept getting in a sticky mess, also I had more clog ups than with say Tamiya acrylics. However I still use enamels where I benefit from their slower drying times, such as weathering and painting around detail work such as decks etc. It does seem to be a bit problematic with uniform finishes, matt satin and to a lesser extent gloss, straight out the tin. However slightly thinned with a suitable enamel thinner, it seems to behave much better, using two or three coats to get a good finish.
I have found their new Satin White to be superior to the old version, requiring only a couple of coats to get a good finish. That may be down to how thick it is! As far as three different shades of green in three different tins, pour them all into one tin and stir, one big shade of green! Not a sensible answer, but then it didn't stop me doing it once!
Listen politely, nod approvingly, then do what you want, works for me!

RST

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 10:09:17 pm »

Interesting you mention tamiya. Revell enamel dries in not that much less time than tamiya (both take a while to go off properly). Humbrol can still take days! When I airbrush I love tamiya acrylic. But never trusted  them for something immersed. But I don't have space or all my equipment to hand. And brushes aside. I use artists quality, but it makes little to no difference on a ***p tin of humbrol.

RST

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 10:12:45 pm »

Stan, another interesting point about putting tinlets upside down. Revell definitely seal better from factory. And there seems to be almost like a thin plastic seal around the edge on a new tinlet. Never seen that on a humbrol tinlet before!

Stan

• Full Mayhemer
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 09:02:02 am »

This post could drag on forever. It is your prerogative to complain about a product its mine to defend a product so at this point we will have agree to disagree. Thank you for returning my  P/M to you.

Stan.

Martin (Admin)

• Administrator
  • Full Mayhemer
    • Model Boat Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 05:24:58 pm »

All mine turned to stones ages ago!

Topic locked before this becomes 'when two tribes go to war....'!

"This is my firm opinion, but what do I know?!" -  Visit the Mayhem FaceBook Groups!  &  Giant Models
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 22 queries.