Technical, Techniques, Hints, and Tips > Painting, Finishing and Care.

Pin Stripes

(1/3) > >>

Seacommander:
Hi,
I have a launch hull 90% finished and re-painted, I've used traditional enamels, light grey and red below water line
I'd like to put a couple of pin stripes around the top, just to finish it
How do you guys do this ?
I'm all ears and thanks in advance
Cheers
Mark

coch y bonddu:
Shg sell various colours in pinstripng you buy a roll of it and they are various widths

Dave

Seacommander:
Thanks Dave,
Any advice on setting it out and do you varnish over this
Thanks

coch y bonddu:
TBH i never have a problem with them falling off so i do not varnish over the stripes no need

Dave

RST:
Don't Trimline and BECC make vinyl pinstripes and-or pin-stripe transfers of various thicknesses?  Model railway companies have lots of these also.  I would have thought the usual applies:  Always apply to satin or gloss surface (forget it on matt) and finish afterwards with varnish.

You can also do your own using masking tape: I only use Tamiya tape.  Usual advice:  Mask lower edge and paint lightly using base-colour to seal the edge.  Go over with top colour of desired stripe.  Peel off tape to reveal lower crisp edge.  Apply second layer of tape offset to the required thickness of the stripe and paint back in the stripe olour (lightly) to seal the edge again, then paint over in the base colour again for everything above.  Takes a bit of practice but works OK depending what you're doing.

...That works for reasonably straight stripes and never leave tape on until paint is fully hardened.  No experience with proper pinstriping!  It's an art in itself hence why allot of folk use vinyl or transfers I think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version